Type keyword(s) to search

Farmhouse Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoy Nancy's show. Yes, it did take a few seasons to smooth out the rough edges. For awhile there, the show (and Nancy) was seriously bordering on buffoon territory. Anybody remember the "barnstorming" bi-plane ride or Nancy wiping the peach juice from all over her face onto Farmer Fred's flannel shirt? I was seriously concerned that FN was going to try to buttonhole Nancy into the crazy/horny cackling old lady role vacated by Paula Deen. Thankfully that didn't happen.

I think that Nancy's settled into a comfortable groove. I still could happily do without TFKs so often, but I do like the majority of her recipe ideas and her house and the surrounding farms and vendors.

On a shallow note, I don't know what the hair and makeup people are doing to Nancy, but it's working. She looks stunning -- especially on "Spring Baking Championship."

• Love 2
(edited)

I really enjoyed  today's episode with Kardea.  All the food looked excellent.  I'd especially like to make Kardea's shrimp and okra soup.  And those hand pies, oh my.

The peppery parmesean orzo looked very good.  That's the method I usually use when making orzo, and it's terrific.  I haven't made it with chopped arugula and will plan on doing that next time I make it.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

I'll take Eddie Jackson and anything he's cooking! LOL! I thought he shrimp salad looked like the best thing on the entire menu. I was happy to see him prepare something that seemed more consistent with his "culinary POV" /eyeroll from last year's FNS and not the BBQ box TIIC have stuck him in.

I guess I was confused about Nancy's fried ice cream balls. I swear I did not see her actually fry them. I saw Eddie and her fry some whack-a-dough and serve it along with the ice cream. ???

• Love 1

I don't recall her frying the ice cream either. Also, I believe that she called it prepared croissant dough from the refrigerated section. They make whack-a-dough in croissant form? Huh.

I cannot stand this woman.  BUT, I happened to notice that the airplane episode was on; and, after reading your comments on that awhile back, I just had to watch it.  Good gawd, it was as funny as you all wrote.

I don't even know what she cooked - Oh AIRPLANE cookies.  I could've shot myself.   (Insert airplane flyin' noises here, folks.)  She is an asshole on TV.  On food network.  Wow, what a surprise.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2015 at 3:45 PM, grisgris said:

I have to give Nancy a nod for creativity today with her Halloween spread, especially that intestines-pizza roll. The only thing I raised an eyebrow at were the licorice ice cubes.

There she goes with "those kids" again. (I wish she's say "the grandkids" or something...)  That looked like a lot more than 36 guests...

I had to go back and see if I commented on this show, because in watching the repeat this morning on FN it didn't ring a bell with me.  I agree with you, gris gris, and thought Nancy did a great job with this one.  The intestines were utterly gross, yet I bet they taste pretty good, especially if you used a homemade pizza dough or a good store bought one (not from a tube, as hers appeared to be).  

Like you, the only thing I wouldn't do at a party would be black licorice ice cubes, because so many people below a certain age just can't stand black licorice.  I personally love it, but I feel like it's a flavor that has really gone out of favor in this country.

Loved the eyeball buckeyes, the intestines, the spider cheese ball, and even Nancy and David's costumes.  I do believe David was born to play Frankenstein.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

Actually, the first episode of the newest season aired last Sunday.  You didn't miss much.  Another episode with a bunch of grandkids.  Nancy made homemade fruit leather out of pears and plums, which looked like a yummy snack, only it was met with a lackluster response.  When Nancy pressed the grandkids about how it tasted, one boy replied, "Thick."  That shut her up real fast!

Then they made caramel apples and one of the grandsons, Sam, made cupcakes to enter into the county fair baking competition. All of the kids decorated cupcakes to resemble farm animals.  It was kind of cutesy, but not my cup of tea, especially after binge-watching "Cupcake Wars." (I know.  I'm slipping, but I'm desperate!)

Lots of tears and sentiment over Granny Tabor and the other two departed grandmothers (I always wondered how Nancy ended up with three grandmothers??)  Family photos and Nancy gave Sam some ancient kitchen tool that one of the above-mentioned grandmothers had used.

Meh and not even Kleenex-worthy.  After watching Ina's and Giada's new series as well, it's making me wonder if FN got out the "sentimental story" sledgehammer or something; the message this fall seems to be more story-telling, schmaltz, memory-making and less hands-on cooking. 

• Love 1
On 11/3/2016 at 1:16 PM, grisgris said:

Actually, the first episode of the newest season aired last Sunday.  You didn't miss much. 

Meh and not even Kleenex-worthy.  After watching Ina's and Giada's new series as well, it's making me wonder if FN got out the "sentimental story" sledgehammer or something; the message this fall seems to be more story-telling, schmaltz, memory-making and less hands-on cooking. 

I totally agree.  I can't stand the Halloween shows.  Aunt Sandy was the only FN personality who could produce a good halloween show.

I swear FN was overtaken a decade ago by people with absolutely zero creativity and sense of humor.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

I swear FN was overtaken a decade ago by people with absolutely zero creativity and sense of humor.  

Sadly many of the people who are giving  FN their ratings have absolutely zero creativity when it comes to cooking & food.  Long live the Create TV.

Edited by ariel

I think Nancy's idea to cook a turkey that way is a great idea, and I would be willing to do it that way with a small turkey but not on Thanksgiving for a crowd.  I love braised chicken, and I'm sure her version with turkey would be delicious.  But on Thanksgiving I want my roasted turkey and I want the amazing gravy that comes from roasting the whole bird!  

The root vegetable mash with thyme browned butter looked very good.

• Love 1

I liked that idea too, but I also would not do it for Thanksgiving. We always smoke our turkeys, and I look forward to it all year long. I brine them for 2 days beforehand, and the combination is fan-freaking-tastic. The only drawback is that you can't make gravy with drippings from a brined turkey, because it would be way too salty. But my husband doesn't like giblet gravy....the whole idea of giblets completely skeeves him out. So I buy the jarred stuff, and doctor it up with some white wine and spices. I pointed out to him that the stuff in the jar is also made with giblets, and his said that was OK since he didn't have to see it being made. LOL. Everybody has their weird food things, and that's his.

• Love 2

Queasy, your turkey sounds delicious. We smoked a bird for Thanksgiving a few times, and it was delicious. You're right that brined, smoked turkey gravy wouldn't be too good.  I do make excellent gravy with just a brined turkey,. You just have to rinse it well and supplement with unsalted stock.

I was a vegetarian for years because I couldn't handle the smell of meat cooking. Boiling chicken and frying hamburger or sausage cause me such nausea, I would get physically ill, and still have trouble with it. Roasting meat was one of the few ways I could handle it when I decided to add it back into my diet. I completely understand Mr. Queasy-bo's (or is it Bigfoot?) being skeeved out by seeing giblets, but not by having it in a product that he doesn't see made. 

• Love 1

This show is one of the fairly new ones that I'm happy I stuck with.  I really didn't care for it during the first several episodes, but something kept drawing me back.  Now, there's very little of the clowning around and the put-on acts that Nancy used to entertain her audience.  She is a straightforward and no-nonsense cook who isn't out to impress anyone with fancy dishes. Her food for the most part is healthy "down home" fare, and many of her dishes are delicious.  One thing I especially appreciate is her emphasis on fresh ingredients (when available).  I hope her new cookbook does well because she is a fine teacher IMHO.  Her husband is a square, but at least he tries, and he's long on patience.  He goes along with most of the ideas Nancy dreams up.  I love the way they try to keep their marriage alive.  It's clear that they love and respect each other.

• Love 3

I know this is an old episode I'm watching right now, but it's somehow the first time for me, so forgive me if I'm rehashing old territory with this post.  It's the one where she goes to the go-cart track to race with her grandsons.  Literally every other word from her mouth is a car- or speed-related pun.  The part that really got my attention was all of her references to her speeding ticket history.  She referred to the policeman who always seems to catch her by his first name and basically pooh-poohs the speed limits and the cop's numerous attempts to slow her down.  The 13 or 14-old-year grandson sitting to her right looks absolutely mortified at everything she says at the dinner before they go to the raceway.  I hear you, kid.

God, how I miss cooking shows where the cooks actually cooked . . . and that was it.  I have absolutely no need to get to know the cook's family or watch their family bonding activities.  Are you listening, Food Network (answer: obviously not)?  All of that being said, I have to grudgingly admit that Nancy is more of an actual cook than just about anyone on the other, newer Food Network shows (looking at you, Ree).

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

God, how I miss cooking shows where the cooks actually cooked . . . and that was it.  I have absolutely no need to get to know the cook's family or watch their family bonding activities.

This is a problem across all reality based shows. Pawn Stars, the storage hunter shows, the animal veterinarian shows and so on have all decided that we, the viewers, want to see the lives of the people on the shows. It would probably be interesting in one half-hour episode a year, but half the shows are about their personal and family lives. I don't care. I want to see the animals and their treatment, not that they enjoy fishing in their down time.

Had to stop watching Pawn Stars in season three when it became about the people. It's still going strong, so someone must want to see that, but I wanted to see the interesting items that come it. I can overlook the fact that many of the items are not actually being pawned but sourced for the show, because the tidbits about the item is interesting. Watching the staffers drive cars, shoot guns, and barbecue is not interesting, and is so obviously done for product placement. "Oh no! The car broke down right in front of a shooting range hours away from Las Vegas! Might as well check it out while we wait." "My home made barbecue sauce disappeared from the fridge! What will we do! People are waiting. Boo hoo!!! I guess I'll have to buy a commercial product. It was great! Will never bother making my own again!" And I shall not bother watching again, since the beautiful dagger information came from Wikipedia, and Corey didn't even get it right.

We are apparently the minority dissenters on this issue.

• Love 2

I wish Nancy would tone down on the family/grandchildren & just work on cooking good homemade food that she seems to know how to cook.  I'm really sick of seeing her elevenity million grandkids for the elevenity million time.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 6

I think Nancy thinks more of her daughter-in-law, Annie, than she does of her own daughters.  It seems like she's always praising Annie for giving her eggs and working so hard, but she's often putting down one of her own girls.

I just finished watching the Happy Birthday to the House episode, and what a treasure full of cooking it is!  No grandchildren, no jokes, just a fabulous meal, a tour of the house, and a mouth-watering meal!  The photography of the fields, the rolling clouds, the house and especially the cooking showed off what the cameramen and women can do. 

Nancy's bacon-wrapped pork roast was a visual stunner and is topping my "to do" list.  Ditto those incredible veggies!  Nancy has become one of the FN's greatest assets and finest teachers, IMHO.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lura said:

Nancy has become one of the FN's greatest assets and finest teachers, IMHO.

ITA - FN was become a vast waste land of untalented hacks parading around as "celebrity chiefs".  Nancy & Ina are the best.

• Love 5
On 1/29/2017 at 6:41 PM, ariel said:

I wish Nancy would tone down on the family/grandchildren & just work on cooking good homemade food that she seems to know how to cook.  I'm really sick of seeing her elevenity million grandkids for the elevenity million time.

I agree about the grandkids, but I'm not as impressed with her skills. In one episode, I saw her mixing ground meat with her hands without removing her ring (rings?). In another, she chopped up shallots and dumped them into the pan for a sauce without peeling them first, skin and all.

To be fair, the food always looks delicious, and her instruction is very good.

Edited by Eyes High

Nancy firmly believes that all of a vegetable's nutrients are in the skin so that's why she rarely peels anything.  I get that, especially for crops grown in the Hudson Valley soil, but I'm not so sure about shallot paper skin. Ick!

Well, I did some soul-searching after reading your comments and decided to leave my cookies the way I make them, minus the p.b. chips.  The deciding factor was that I, like Anne, don't care for things that are overly sweet, and that sealed the deal.

Fostersmom, interesting that you had the cookies at Christmas because I did, too.  My mother added a couple of new cookies to her holiday baking, and this was one of them.  :)

Edited by Lura

Today I watched an oldie, which was Nancy entertaining the Farm Bureau volunteers.  Her short ribs looked fantastic, and she added a ton of root vegetables to the pot, so the whole thing was like a stew.  To sop up the  juices, she made garlic scones, then did a Hasty Pudding for dessert.  Her long table of guests outside wolfed the food down like there was no tomorrow!  Nancy seemed so relaxed and in charge of everything that I couldn't believe her antics had once turned me off.

I love the fact that Nancy doesn't care whether her carrots and other veggies are cut the same size or that her chopping style isn't perfect.  She's all about flavor, and little else matters.  She's a real "down home" cook, and I find that refreshing.

• Love 3

Today my recorder caught an oldie, and I'm so glad I didn't miss it.  I want to make the entire meal.  The episode had Nancy making recipes of her grandmothers and even one from the grandmother of a grandmother!  She made a yummy-looking ham soufflé, and to accompany it, made baked beans from scratch.  Her side dish was pickled veggies that were beautiful in the jar and only took two hours to pickle in the fridge.  Dessert was perfectly identical molasses sandwich cookies with a homemade (what else?) marshmallow cream in the middle.  I'm not a huge molasses fan, but the cookies could be almost any kind.  I'd like to try hers, though, to see whether I liked them.  They really looked good.

This show was one of the few that are special to me, partly because of the menu but also because I loved the way she taught her daughter and nieces from Miami so clearly and lovingly about their family tree.  She said that since they live so far away, they don't get to hear about family as often as the kids who live closer.  There's a lot of love in that woman!  I am jusr crazy about Nancy!  There is no comparison between her and the dummy out on the range!  And she doesn't tell everyone to "Eat up!" all the time.

• Love 2

I looked inside Nancy's cookbook at Amazon today.  In the first chapter, she writes about her life, and she calls her ex-husband her was-band.  LOL  She has only good things to say about him (to us).  Johnny is her youngest child and her only son. 

• Love 1

Jeepers, creepers!  Where are all the posters?  Did anyone see the recent show with Nancy's daughter from Miami, her  husband and two daughters?  What a special family they are!  Well, the strangest thing happened.  I've been happily married for more years than I can count, and I've fallen in love with another man -- Nancy's son-in-law!  By the way she acted, Nancy'a in love with him, too.  He's a handsome,  suave gentleman who happens to be from Cuba originally and came to the U..S. on a boat with 1,000 other people.  Nancy cooked Cuban, and the meal looked terrific, but then again, what woman was looking at the food?!!  It was a feel-good show all the way through.

• Love 2

There is a rumor making the rounds that "Farmhouse Rules" is being cancelled.  Since it's my favorite cooking show, I'm naturally sick about it.  I've written to the FN and asked for info.  If the rumor is true, I'd like to start a petition to send to them in support of Nancy and her show.  If you would be willing to sign the petition, please let me know.  Thank you so much.

• Love 2
(edited)

Good luck, Lura.  It's disappointing when a show you love is cancelled, especially when all that remains is a bunch of dump and stir shows.  It also makes me wonder if Ina Garten will last much longer on FN given the scarcity of her shows.  Personally, I think both of these women would be a better fit on PBS...

Have you read anywhere that Nancy isn't happy with the cancellation?  Given Nancy's family business, and her age, I wonder if it's her decision?

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

Anne, I only know what was on Ree's board.  I do know that Nancy was almost cancelled last year, but wasn't.  Didn't the poster on Ree's board say that Nancy was getting Facebook fans to rally around her in some way?  I've read nothing beyond what that poster wrote and haven't read anything about a cancellation except for what the poster said.

I suppose it's possible that Nancy wants out, but somehow I doubt it.  She seems to have such enthusiasm for what she's doing.  Of course, that could only be an act.  I know one thing:  If Ree put in the time that Nancy does in preparing for her show, she'd have a show to be proud of.  She and Ina are both too busy selling things, IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Lura said:

Anne, I only know what was on Ree's board.  I do know that Nancy was almost cancelled last year, but wasn't.  Didn't the poster on Ree's board say that Nancy was getting Facebook fans to rally around her in some way?  I've read nothing beyond what that poster wrote and haven't read anything about a cancellation except for what the poster said.

I suppose it's possible that Nancy wants out, but somehow I doubt it.  She seems to have such enthusiasm for what she's doing.  Of course, that could only be an act.  I know one thing:  If Ree put in the time that Nancy does in preparing for her show, she'd have a show to be proud of.  She and Ina are both too busy selling things, IMHO.

Oh, I think Nancy is genuine and don't think her enthusiasm is an act.  I just wonder if the grind of the weekly show is as fun as being a periodic guest judge on one of the other shows, for instance.  Especially as she's almost 70 and already running a business with her husband.  At that point in life, if I were her I'd pick and choose everything carefully!  I really have no idea what the situation is, obviously, and am just speculating.

• Love 1

I'm sadden by the news, but is doesn't surprise me.   FN  had a talented chief who had a show - Amy Thielen  who did Midwestern food.  She was so good, that her cookbook won a James Beard Award.  Her show debuted about the same time Ree's did.  Guess who's show FN cancelled?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, ariel said:

I'm sadden by the news, but is doesn't surprise me.   FN  had a talented chief who had a show - Amy Thielen  who did Midwestern food.  She was so good, that her cookbook won a James Beard Award.  Her show debuted about the same time Ree's did.  Guess who's show FN cancelled?

I agree about Amy Thielen, but her show was a joint venture between FN and Random House - one of their 1st forays outside of print into TV. Lidia Bastianich was exec producer IIRC.

As far as Ina goes, she has said all along she agreed to do the show to help sell her cookbooks. She originally turned down the production company that does her show (Pacific Productions that does Ree's show) - she wasn't seeking it. Ree hired a PR firm to get her show on the air. Big difference. Ina doesn't need FN. I think Ree does.

• Love 2

Was this on Ree's Facebook page or something?

I checked the Food Network Gossip site (FWIW) which usually lists the status of new and current shows. I didn't read anything there about Nancy's show being cancelled.

Hard to tell what to believe. However, given the long stretch of time since Nancy's show's last season ended, it doesn't look promising.  Bummer.

This is neither here nor there, but I've spent a lot  of time today reading about Nancy, and one thing I learned (NY Times, I believe) is that Nancy's been married four times.  When Nancy had her Mother's Day show, she had all of her kids on together.  I noticed that none of the girls even resembled each other.  The only two who resembled Nancy (sorta) were Johnny and Nita.  I wonder whether her family is adopted.  In all of the bios about Nancy, they all say that she "raised" six kids.  I think it's great if they ARE adopted because they've been so lucky in life.  She sure has led an interesting life.  David is several years older than she. ( I'd have said the opposite.)

I can't remember Amy Thielen or her show.  What was it called?  James Beard award -- wow!

(edited)

Ming, Sara Moulton, & Ellie Krieger were canned by FN.  The FN crowd isn't interested in a good cooking show.  The shows mentioned all went to PBS & have found their audience.  Maybe there is a PBS show for Nancy & Amy too.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2

Thanks, ariel.  Now I know who Amy is.  I watched her show for a while.  I enjoyed parts of it but never really got interested.  By the time I thought I'd return to watch again, she was canceled.

I didn't realize until I read the NY Times article I mentioned before how much the FN takes orders from the people at Scripps, especially re programming.  What the high honchos say is pretty much what the FN has to abide by. 

I like your suggestion about Nancy Fuller going to PBS.

It doesn't say much for our country that many prefer "cream of crap soup" casseroles to food that can be made from scratch easily.   I hope all these new boxed fresh food companies "at your front door" will show people that with a little planning you can serve your family good food.  When you become confident with the boxed fresh items, venture out for yourself & buy those ingredients.

IMHO, I will never be the kind of cook who scoffs at people (or myself) for using a canned soup in a recipe -- or anything else canned or frozen. 

I think that some people think "cook from scratch" means never opening a can.  Although I make a mean Senate Bean Soup recipe that friends and family would stand in line for, no one will ever take away my love of Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, served with a grilled cheese sandwich.  I also used canned tomato, cream of chicken, and cream of mushroom soups in a few recipes.  Nothing wrong with them, as long as the dish is made with healthy and fresh ingredients. 

Nothing pleases me more than a steamed vegetable plate of corn on the cob, asparagus, etc., served with a fresh fruit salad -- melons, grapes, etc.  I think we're so lucky to have these things available in the summer, and nothing tastes better to me than fresh.  It kills me, though, when some people apologize for using a canned ingredient.  I think cooking should be fun, as much as possible, and it's not much fun if you stay within a rigid set of rules. 

• Love 1

I made Nancy's bread pudding with sweet corn last night (I forget her name for it).  My husband liked it very much, and I disliked it very much!  LOL  I used sweet corn off the cob, and the entire dish tasted sweet to me, as if I'd added considerable sugar.  I've liked all of her recipes that I've tried, but this was an exception.

I will soon be making her short ribs again.  They're so easy to make and just delectable!  My husband asked me to make them often.

(edited)

I wrote to the Food Network a month ago, asking whether "Farmhouse Rules" would be on again for another season.  I just heard back today.  The woman who wrote said that no new shows are scheduled for filming yet but that if I wrote back in August, she could give me a more definitive answer.  It doesn't look good for the people who enjoy her.

Edited by Lura