Type keyword(s) to search

Jake Ballard: Noel Crane, All Grown Up

Agreed.  I think Jake really does love Liv. I don't think Fitz is capable of love.  Time and time again, Fitz has shown us that with Mellie, Liv, and even his own kids.  I wish Tom would have killed Fitz.  Would love to see Jake get the upper hand and Liv at the end. 

• Love 6

Jake seems to be presented as the "guy just like your father" for Olivia in contrast to the "homme fatale" Fitz.  ("homme fatale" borrowed from a book discussing Veronica Mars as genderbent noir).

I started out suspicious of him, but appreciate his honesty (where he's allowed to be, and when he's not allowed to tell, he says it up front) and moral consistency (even when doing terrible things, like killing people). Also, little things are done to contrast him with Fitz - one that stuck out to me was how Jake gently asserted that it was "his turn" at the beginning of S4, and that his turn "involves lots of kisses."  Meanwhile, Fitz (in his not-hot phone sex call) emphasized that he wouldn't kiss Olivia until after doing other things - Jake is the love, affection, and foreplay while Fitz is the conquering/ravishing. 

• Love 1

I love Jake as well and think he gets more hate then he deserves. No he is not perfect but none of the people on this show are.

I even feel at times that Olivia is not worthy of the love he gives her since he even admitted she wont choose him.

It was nice to see his character make some of the best lists for 2014.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 3

I too came from the camp of being suspicious of Jake to firmly believing that he truly loves Olivia and wants her to have a happy ending even if that means he is not her choice for her ending. Fitz is incapable to loving anyone in a real or meaningful way. The sad fact is, Fitz truly is Big Gerry's son.

My hope for the Scandal finale is Liv chooses Jake and they go into the sunshine and start a family, and Fitz is

Eft alone with his beloved brown juice after Mellie finally develops the backbone to leave him. Just before the credits roll, Liv and Mellie thank each other for finally making the other realize what a miserable, loveless, abusive PoS Fitz really is.

• Love 3

It's nice to see Jake love. I have found other fans of his on other sites as well so now I don't feel alone in thinking it was just me.

It would be great if Olivia pick's him but I am also tying to be realistic. I just hope they give him some kind of decent ending no matter what happens.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 3

At this point in time I cant see Jake with anyone else he just loves Olivia too much.  I agree in the end he does deserve to be in a relationship with someone who truly loves him first.

I cant believe this is second Scott Foley triangle I have watched on TV and again he is the second place category.

• Love 1

Thankfully Fitz cant leave the country and run around looking for her the way Jake can. Hopefully we wont have to watch them interact much.

Would it matter? Fitz/Olivia will continue to be in each others orbit until this show ends. Mellie and Jake will continue to be the substitutes because the star-crossed lovers can't be together. This is what Shonda thinks is riveting  television. No way is she going to end it. LOL.

I like Jake, though I don't have a ton of investment in him and Olivia. And I will be sad when the show returns and asks me to board the Jake-must-team-with-Fitz-to-rescue-Olivia train. Boo.

LOL. Well, you better prepare yourself, because we'll be picking right back up where we left off with this mess.

• Love 2

I agree I do not for one second believe this triangle will end anytime soon. The Olitz shippers love to scream that Jake has no job lol so maybe he will get once Olivia is safe. I would love to see him take down Rowan.   

• Love 2

I would love Rowan to just fucking DISAPPEAR. Along with her crazy ass mother. 

I like the show in its original premise. Washington power brokers doing stupid shit because they think they can get away with it, and Olivia Pope and Associates getting them out of it. I like Mellie snarking and Cyrus plotting. The ONLY good thing to come out of B-613 is Jake.  

I believe the Shark that Scandal jumped should be named B-613. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars

I just can't buy Scott Foley as an elite-level super spy agent. Same goes with the guy from Father of the Bride playing another supposed badass spy. There is some whacked out casting on this show.

To be fair if you want someone to pass as a secret spy agent you pick somebody who is not so obvious. That way they can fly under the radar better lol.  I do understand why some would have trouble with it though I mean sometimes it can be hard to believe.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 2

For a while I was starting to warm up to Jake, but then he killed James. I can't eve forgive that, and I find Olivia's willingness to do so to be a complete character assassination. When she left with him on that plane at the end of Season 3 I was so disappointed and haven't watched much of Season 4 as a result.

Not that Fitz is much better, but at least Olivia (and the show) seem to realize that love affair is destructive (while at the same time glorifying it), while Jake is somehow presented as the more healthy option, Olivia's chance to "stand in the sun." He is a straight up murderer! He killed a dude who was just seeking the truth to "protect the Republic," which basically makes him a terrorist in my book.

What does it say about this show's worldview that Olivia can't help but keep falling for the most abusive, privileged, self-important white dudes in existence? That these are her only choices?

• Love 1

I used to think it was a metaphor for the fucked up things successful african-american women face in our society, but then Shonda Rimes took that off the table. Now I just figure melodramatic soap operas are just her thing. I'm grateful that she gives a diverse crowd of good actors work, and I have no plans to watch anything else she's involved with, because this is barely an entertaining trainwreck lately.

Any Jake fans still around?

After 5 seasons, I've decided to choose a team and it's Team Jake. I'm very frustrated with the show (and Olivia), but after spending time rewatching all the seasons, including the many episodes I missed when I gave up the show 3 times, I really can't see how Jake isn't endgame for Olivia.

On a normal show, all the signs clearly point to Jake being genuinely 9and openly) in love with Olivia, and Olivia being in love with Jake without really knowing it. But this is Scandal.

I read an Entertainment Weekly article (Probably from January) and there was a line about Shonda deciding to scrap some long term arcs because of the real-life election results and now wanting the show to be more hopeful. I can't work out if that means Fitz or Jake or neither. Maybe (hopefully?) it has nothing to do with Olivia's love life and the long term arcs they're scrapping are the political ones with Rowan.

Since I'm now solidly Team Jake, I can't see myself sitting through multiple episodes of Fitz and Olivia, or Olivia and another guy. Or Jake slowly falling for his wife.

I know Scott Foley said in an interview that he believes Olivia chose Jake at the end of season 5. I agree, she did. But Olivia can't seem to give Fitz up because she's so used to him. I still think episode 5x02 "Yes" was a perfect example of what this show could be if they went with Jake and Olivia as a couple running OPA.

• Love 1

I was a huge Jake fan when I watched the show. Around mid Season 5 I started to drift away from it. I finished S5 on Netflix now its time for S6.

He was and is still better then Fitz to me but agree Olivia wont pick him. I knew that in S3 and 4 but was still holding out hope lol.