Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: It's A Family Affair

• Start Topic

(edited)

Six pairs of family members put their culinary forensic skills to the test by putting together clues from the kitchen to recreate desserts that were baked there.

Air date: September 26, 2024

I'm really excited for this show to be back, and later tonight I can watch GBBO too!  I'm a little confused, though, because haven't the teams always been either family or friends?  I know for sure they didn't take people who were complete strangers and put them on a team. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, mertensia said:

Okay, "mom likes mangoes" is not a legit reason to go with mangoes.

You just know she was probably super stubborn, and he didn't feel like he could talk her out of it, so he just went with the mangoes because it was easier. 

5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm a little confused, though, because haven't the teams always been either family or friends?

They've never been strangers.  They've always known each other whether they've been family, friends or just coworkers. 

5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Last time it was professionals vs home bakers.

I think last year was professionally trained vs. home trained but I believe everyone worked professionally in some way. 

• Like 1

For some of them, it feels like they had made up their minds what they were going to make, and then forced the clues into fitting their idea.  Kudos to the couple who found the extra recipes in the pocket.  And to the rest of you READ the ingredients.  If it says "fresh blueberries," you know that the frozen blueberries in the freezer are NOT what you should be cooking with.  And mangoes?  Really?  With peach stickers in the trash can, you're going to use mangoes????

• Like 1

I'm glad this show is back.  But, wow, six different desserts in the first bake-have we seen that many different interpretations of the clues before?  For the elimination, could they taste the alcohol, or are they only allowed to touch and smell the clues?  It also seems like they aren't looking everywhere-in the first bake only one team found the recipes in the apron, and in the second bake I don't think son/mother found the peach clue in the compactor.  I know 2 minutes isn't long to look for clues (and I would do horribly), but the mother/son knew they missed a big clue the first time (recipes in pocket) so I would think they would make sure they looked everywhere the second time.  But, kudos to them as they were enjoyable to watch and had good attitudes when eliminated.

• Like 3

To level the playing field, they should have the same challenges for next week’s teams. In the future, maybe show both sets of teams doing the first challenge one week; then the second week, show both doing the second challenge. It would be a fair comparison.

I love this show, but to me the most frustrating thing about the show is that I feel like two minutes is not enough time to examine the CSK.  If the show is purposely trying to have people miss things, then they are accomplishing that. I think maybe five minutes would be more appropriate.

Even when all the clues are there, there are still red herrings.  And things are super inconsistent.  We see peach puree on the cake stand and peach stickers in the garbage can.  But where are the actual pits?

For the other challenge... we see a box of raspberries, but who is to say how full or not full it is?  We are told that lemons are used, but where are the lemon peels in the trash can?

Sometimes we are told that because of the absence of X in the trash, that should have told us that X was not used.

On 9/26/2024 at 8:10 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm a little confused, though, because haven't the teams always been either family or friends?  I know for sure they didn't take people who were complete strangers and put them on a team. 

I think it's just a way to have two different groups.  I thought last year's grouping of "professionally trained in culinary school" vs. "self-taught" seemed a bit unfair.  This time at least there is the question "do friends or family work better together".

On 9/26/2024 at 8:40 PM, Grizzly said:

What is it about Yolanda that is making me not recognize her?

I think she straightened her hair and dyed it blonder even more.

On 9/30/2024 at 1:11 PM, seacliffsal said:

I'm glad this show is back.  But, wow, six different desserts in the first bake-have we seen that many different interpretations of the clues before?  For the elimination, could they taste the alcohol, or are they only allowed to touch and smell the clues?  It also seems like they aren't looking everywhere-in the first bake only one team found the recipes in the apron, and in the second bake I don't think son/mother found the peach clue in the compactor.  I know 2 minutes isn't long to look for clues (and I would do horribly), but the mother/son knew they missed a big clue the first time (recipes in pocket) so I would think they would make sure they looked everywhere the second time.  But, kudos to them as they were enjoyable to watch and had good attitudes when eliminated.

I don't think they are allowed to taste anything.  And we saw that last season I think they are even told they cannot smell certain items.

23 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

To level the playing field, they should have the same challenges for next week’s teams. In the future, maybe show both sets of teams doing the first challenge one week; then the second week, show both doing the second challenge. It would be a fair comparison.

It would be more fair... but it would also be really boring for us to watch at home.  Part of the fun of this show is trying to guess the mystery dessert along with the contestants, even though we at home are only seeing the clues they choose to air.

• Like 4

I do think the clues are getting a little more esoteric but in general I'm not gonna hold it against the teams that their bakes this week were pretty off-the-wall.  I think it probably takes an episode or two to kinda get into the groove of understanding how the producers like to play the game, where clues are most likely to be found, what is and isn't meaningful, etc.  If they still stink after their second week, well I guess then I can go full-on judgey ;)

• Like 2