Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Qualifiers 1 & 2

• Start Topic

The qualifying rounds begin in Los Angeles with ninjas from across the country taking on the world’s most challenging obstacle course; the competition returns bigger than ever with two unique qualifying courses and a chance at the mega warped wall.

(edited)

Well, that was demonstrably less annoying than last year. They've integrated the teenagers into the show more, and we got to catch up with old friends.  Kind of a bummer that some of them got the "while we were away" treatment, but they've always done that.  

I continue to actively hate the race-off, especially since the two candidates I was rooting for lost.  But, honestly, I would hate it anyway.  Unless the two candidates are actively tied, they should just let whoever is got farther, faster win.  It's pointless.  

Also, it's not at all her fault, but Lisa Hair is like the next generation's Sandy Zimmerman.  She ticks all of the boxes - debilitating illness, a MOM, and a dainty, pretty blonde (a bonus).  I just met her and I already feel the urge to change the channel when she comes on.  Can't they just let people, especially women, race without all of the fawning?  

Edited by SophiaD
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2

I think those two women with serious spinal problems are absolutely nuts to compete in something like ANW.  One bad fall could jeopardize the rest of their lives.  I'm surprised that ANW allows them to compete actually.  I'l bet they had to sign some iron-clad waivers.

I was very surprised that Flip didn't make it up the megawall.  I seem to remember him reaching the top of higher walls than that when they had the skills challenge.  That was several years ago when he was younger though.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is it bad that I cheered when Daniel Gil missed the mega wall? 

Saving you a seat in the hand basket, right here next to me ::pats seat:: :)

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

Saving you a seat in the hand basket, right here next to me ::pats seat:: :)

On the other hand, the Bergstrom Bunch aren't annoying me (yet) so I cheered for Caleb making it.

Edited by ams1001
13 hours ago, mlp said:

I think those two women with serious spinal problems are absolutely nuts to compete in something like ANW.  One bad fall could jeopardize the rest of their lives.  I'm surprised that ANW allows them to compete actually.  I'l bet they had to sign some iron-clad waivers.

I'm thinking it is time for all the contestants to have to pass medical and psychological evaluations before being able to compete just like Survivor and The Amazing Race.

On the psychological note: stop bringing babies to the sidelines!

• Like 4
13 hours ago, SophiaD said:

we got to catch up with old friends. 

Why did they give a coveted slot to someone who had already gone out on the first obstacle two years in a row?

While we're at it: I didn't need to learn all about the aerodynamics of making paper airplanes. Just give me one less WWWA run instead.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, mlp said:

I think those two women with serious spinal problems are absolutely nuts to compete in something like ANW.  One bad fall could jeopardize the rest of their lives.

I totally agree.  Is ninja really worth all of this?  

On the other hand, the Bergstrom Bunch aren't annoying me (yet) so I cheered for Caleb making it.

I don't mind Caleb Bergstrom at all - he seems nice.  I was disappointed that they didn't showcase Flip more, though, because he's always been one of my favorites.

Based both on her performance at the Women's Championship and the clips for next week, I'm wondering if this isn't Jessie Graf's swan song.  

• Like 1

I was  surprised and glad to see Lance Pinkus because I thought he'd stopped competing.  I hope they show his entire run in the next segment.

Elijah Browning/The Boss is one of my favorites among the younger competitors but he's got to stop coming close to losing.  My heart can't take it.

I hope that this is not Jessie Graf's last year because she's a favorite but it looks as if The Phoenix is going after this year (I can't remember his name).  However, we will have Joe Moravsky until the end of time.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

However, we will have Joe Moravsky until the end of time.

LOL!  I hope you're right because I'm not quite over Travis Rosen leaving yet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
52 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

I hope that this is not Jessie Graf's last year because she's a favorite but it looks as if The Phoenix is going after this year (I can't remember his name). 

Najee Richardson?  I've always liked him, too.  Such a great competitor.  

I miss Travis Rosen, too!  For some reason, I thought that Lance Penkus wasn't doing Ninja anymore, but am very happy to be proven wrong. 

I hope Flex comes back after this season, but I can only imagine how tough it would be to get back into Ninja-shape after having a baby.  

• Like 2

How did I miss Lance Pekus? 

I googled him because everyone is spelling his name differently and I didn't know what it was anymore...and found he wrote a book! A middle-grade novel called The Ninja Games: The Warrior Within.

https://www.lancepekus.com/

9 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

I hope Flex comes back after this season, but I can only imagine how tough it would be to get back into Ninja-shape after having a baby.  

Well, we know that a mom can get up the warped wall!

• LOL 3

Well, that was demonstrably less annoying than last year. 

Last year was actually filmed a week before this. They were done back to back last May. Mykayla gave birth in September.  I think they'll have to start lying about people's ages.

They didn't broadcast Lance's run at all. Are they done with him? Lord knows they've milked his wife's MS enough. 

Spoiler

Najee makes it to the Finals again.

• Useful 1

I have watched this show for at least 10 years now.  Last night I was totally bored and deleted it before the end of the 2nd hour.   They need to make some changes.  Or maybe unmake some of the changes they've made. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I have watched this show for at least 10 years now.  Last night I was totally bored and deleted it before the end of the 2nd hour.   They need to make some changes.  Or maybe unmake some of the changes they've made.

I'm still watching but my interest has waned a lot since they lowered the age limit.  I just don't enjoy watching all the kids like I do the more mature ninjas.  Also, maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't recall so much nonsense like everyone having a special name along with a related dramatic entrance and people bringing food and silly stuff to Matt and Akbar.  I thought the athletic accomplishments were entertaining enough without the gimmicks.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Najee Richardson?  I've always liked him, too.  Such a great competitor.  

I miss Travis Rosen, too!  For some reason, I thought that Lance Penkus wasn't doing Ninja anymore, but am very happy to be proven wrong. 

Flex had a baby?!!  This is Jessie "Flex" Labrek?  OH WOW!!!

However, I bet she will come back sporting those great abs!!!

31 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

Flex had a baby?!!  This is Jessie "Flex" Labrek?  OH WOW!!!

Yes! I posted this in the couples competition thread the other day:

He's so freakin' cute (not that I'm surprised, given who his parents are).

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7CQoiVgIVH/?hl=en

There's another post on her instagram from a week earlier that has pics from when he was born.