Type keyword(s) to search

Watson - General Discussion

• Start Topic

CBS

Mid-season; February 2025?

Premieres Sunday Mid-Season, 10:00-11:00 PM

WATSON takes place seven months after the death of the titular character's friend and partner Sherlock Holmes at the hands of Moriarty. Dr. John Watson (Morris Chestnut) resumes his medical career as the head of a clinic dedicated to treating rare disorders. Watson's old life isn't done with him, though - Moriarty and Watson are set to write their own chapter of a story that has fascinated audiences for more than a century. Watson is a medical show with a strong investigative spine, featuring a modern version of one of history's greatest detectives as he turns his attention from solving crimes to solving medical mysteries.

WATSON stars Morris Chestnut as Dr. John Watson. Craig Sweeny wrote the pilot and will showrun and executive produce. Additional executive producers include Chestnut, Aaron Kaplan and Brian Morewitz for Kapital Entertainment, Sallie Patrick and Shäron Moalem MD, PhD. Larry Teng will executive produce and direct the first episode. The series is produced by CBS Studios.

I'm getting a bored by the CBS procedural formula, but I'm willing to give this a chance.

Worth pointing out that the showrunner, Craig Sweeny, previously was a producer/writer for Elementary.

Sherlock Holmes has famously come back from the dead; so I just wonder how soon will they bring him in? Because even though this is supposed to focus on Dr. Watson, I feel the temptation will be too great to just ignore his more famous partner.

I assume there will be flashbacks at some point, in any case; but then Sherlock might come back for real for an episode or two, as a ratings ploy.

I don't know if it's just going to be a medical procedural with Holmes allusions like House, but they mention Moriarty in description. I hope it doesn't turn into a conspiracy-driven show, all about Moriarty plotting against Watson for some inexplicable crime... That's what turned me off shows like Castle. And I hope they don't do anything with Irene Adler either, cause I eventually quit Elementary over that. I'm trying to keep an open mind and let this be its own show.

• Like 2

Casting news:

https://deadline.com/2024/06/rochelle-aytes-cast-watson-exit-swat-1235958116/

Aytes will play Dr. Mary Morstan, one of the best surgeons on the East Coast, and the Medical Director of the hospital. She is equally adept at being a voice of reason for and serving reality checks to her ex-husband, Dr. Watson (Chestnut). She has great respect for Watson and, while she appreciates his sleuthing when it comes to medical mysteries, she can also become irritated by his unorthodox approach to the business of medicine.

Production on Watson, which is slated for a midseason launch on Sundays, is slated to begin next week in Canada.

'Protagonist has to work with their ex-'; ugh-- this trope is so TIRED, and I've already seen it too many times this past TV season.

Two more doctors cast:

https://deadline.com/2024/06/eve-harlow-inga-schlingmann-watson-so-help-me-todd-1235960800/

Harlow will play Ingrid Derian, an accomplished neurologist whom Dr. Watson (Chestnut) recruits to work at his clinic not only because he recognizes her indisputable skill, but because she herself is a mystery Watson looks forward to solving. Ingrid reminds him of his late friend, Sherlock Holmes, and values her ruthless and sometimes questionable practices… but the rest of her teammates will wonder — and worry — who is the real Ingrid Derian, and what is she hiding?

Schlingmann will portray the unflappable Dr. Sasha Lubbock. While most people question how she had the time and energy to double-board in both rheumatology and immunology, Watson (Chestnut) knows it’s because Sasha thrives in bifurcated conditions. Having grown up torn between two families — her birth parents in central China, and her adoptive, religious family in Dallas, Texas — Sasha’s southern charm is parallel only to the ambition that landed her in one of the world’s most prestigious genetics clinics.