Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Case of the Hungry Snake

• Start Topic

AAAABULscD_O0Gpv2ntWOjemv0M5rH-fEde1JS6H

(Season Finale)

Crystal reckons with the past after memories come rushing back. With Esther's evil scheme underway, the group is forced to face their deadliest foe yet.

Premiere Date: April 25, 2024     Netflix    

dead-boy-detectives.jpg

(edited)

Overall it was light and breezy - an easy watch without a lot of expectations. 
I think it could have been better if the 'Dead Boys' had actually been cast as boys (remember how well that worked for the first season of Stranger Things?).  Netflix seems to always go for the older teen sexy times vibe, with middling results.

It was difficult not see the leads as early 20-somethings. And the actors playing Edwin and Charles could have swapped roles: I think the Edwin-actor could have pulled off the 'muscle' half better  since he looked physically larger.

Most of the episodes were pretty good - as long as they were dealing with the case-of-the-week. Too many side-plots per episode really slowed down the momentum.

The cartoon animation parts did help with avoiding extended exposition dumps. With this type of show, it would be difficult to avoid a lot of explanation of concepts, creatures and the setup of the cases to be solved.

The nitpicks are better left alone, such as: how could Crystal not know her full name yet manage to take a flight from Europe to the US? Can the Dead Boys conjure up fake passports? Also, all teens these days seem to have their entire lives documented on social media. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

I liked it and I would like to see it getting renewed. A season in London with more Ruth Connell sounds like a lot of fun to me.

But sadly Netflix doesn't allow its shows to grow and since this didn't pull stellar numbers right away, it's likely just as dead as the boys.

• Like 2

I think they are carving out a chunk of Gaiman shows, so this has a chance to last at least until they have to pay people real money. You know, come for Sandman and you may also like….

This seems to occupy the same general space as Lockwood and Co and I liked that better. 

Aww...poor Niko.   I knew she was doomed though I wonder where she ended up.  Will this be renewed so we find out?

On 5/7/2024 at 7:05 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

I liked it and I would like to see it getting renewed. A season in London with more Ruth Connell sounds like a lot of fun to me.

But sadly Netflix doesn't allow its shows to grow and since this didn't pull stellar numbers right away, it's likely just as dead as the boys.

Yeah the odds are not in their favor.

I generally enjoyed the show. I really like the Edwin character. I think he was well portrayed. I did think the witch was over the top, I'm glad she is gone.

I didn't really like the "will they, won't they" trope between Charles and Crystal. I like them separately but not together for some reason. 

I hope it does get renewed and they find a way to link it more heavily with Sandman.

I was bummed out by the unrequited longing stuff. Why would the Cat King have to be lonely? Why would Edwin have to be rejected? Why would the lesbian butcher also have to be of the "hard boiled and cynical about love and thus single forever" type? And the one other queer person on the show was a psycho lesbian stalker.

(edited)
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was bummed out by the unrequited longing stuff. Why would the Cat King have to be lonely? Why would Edwin have to be rejected? Why would the lesbian butcher also have to be of the "hard boiled and cynical about love and thus single forever" type? And the one other queer person on the show was a psycho lesbian stalker.

As far as the cat king goes, a cat traditionally walks by themselves. 

Edited by Affogato