Type keyword(s) to search

Wardrobe Thread - Just What’s in Elsbeth’s Totes?

• Start Topic

What I like about this character is that she wears colours - I'm so tired of tv characters wearing black, white, beige and grey all the time; yay for Elsbeth's vibrantly coloured wardrobe. 

• Like 6
(edited)

I counted 8 outfits from episode 3, so I'll link the ones above interspersed in order of appearance with the others I've taken pictures of from my screen with my phone:

Outfit 1:
elsbeth_102_032524_clip1.jpg elsbeth_102_032524_clip2.jpg
Elsbeth wears pins:
outfit-1-pin.png.c2aed914259bb861b779ed76bf9ba321.png

Outfit 2:
(I f'love the polka dot blouse, but oy! The price$$$$!)
elsbeth_102_032524_clip5.jpg elsbeth_102_032524_clip3.jpg

Outfit 3:
 outfit-3a.png.89f50082f4c067003087e0daa2a57af0.png outfit-3.png.48114d453f99d5de0b1866182a32affd.png

(Outfits 4-8 in the following post)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

In episode 2 or 3 we got to see into one of her tote bags.  Maybe someone has a recording and can see what was in there besides the baggie of baby carrots.

• Like 1

I agree with the poster that mentioned that Elsbeth wears colors, how refreshing. I think her outfits are great, I don't think I could get away with wearing any of them. But I could totally get away with the tote bags.

• Like 1

The one thing I really dislike is the giant bows. I don't even know why I dislike them, but I always have and I still do.

I like the fuzzy coat and the outfit where she's wearing bright blue and green (first photo for ep2) the best, I thin. Plus the tote bags from ep1.

I notice she wears a lot of pink.

I also like the granny squares scarf. It doesn't look wide enough to be warm enough for NYC winter, but I still like it.

In a similar vein, I also like the knitted blanket in the picture labeled ep3/outfit6.

These sites say more:

https://cinematicoutfits.com/tag/elsbeth-tv-show/

https://www.shopyourtv.com/elsbeth/

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

She has a lot of winter coats. I think at my absolute peak of coat indulgence, I only had 2 winter coats. But she seems to have multiple ones per episode.

Oh, I can explain the coats! 👋
Elsbeth came from Chicago!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I lived in Chicago for a few years. NONE of her coats would stand up to the Windy City!

The ones we saw would be her spring and fall coats, or for just getting from a parking garage to a courtroom in winter.
Plus, like Dad was fond of saying: If you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait a minute, it'll change. After 20 or 30 years there, it was more than a figure of speech.

I'm retired, so I gave away the 3, more stylish wool winter coats I had over the years when I left for good last time. I'm still in the same climate (different Great Lake), but I don't have to brave the elements if I don't want to, and if I do want to go out in it, stylish isn't what I want — more like down fill and waterproof with a hood. 

I remember one time about 9 years ago deciding to walk the mile to work for a noon-5pm Sunday shift, rather than having to shovel snow off of my car when it was time to go home for my dinner break.
I wound up with needle-like sleet in my face all the way there. Should've had a scarf.

I still have at least a dozen scarves, including a bunch Mom knitted. Two are kind of like Elsbeth's.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

It might not be the windiest, but when I was there, we had days with a wind chill of 80 below zero and if there are places colder than that, I bet they have warm coats, too!

I used to wear a down puffer coat that went down to almost my ankles, plus a heavy wool coat over that (plus all the scarves, glove/mitten combos, hats, etc).

I'm still not over seeing a revolving door blown off its tracks and just lying haplessly on its side on the ground.

It might not be the coldest, but it's plenty cold enough!

I'm sure Alaska sees worse, and for longer. Probably some very high winds on the plains, too. 

People say that stuff about wait a few minutes and the weather will change here in New England, too. I like that, though. We get all kinds of weather here. Variety!

I can see Elsbeth in a giant puffer coat. It would go well with her goofy persona. I suppose she won't be outdoors as much as I was, though-- she probably isn't standing around outside waiting for public transit or walking long distances; she seems like a car/taxi person, though I can't remember if we ever saw her actually travel anywhere other than the first episode with the tour bus. She just seems to appear on site poof! without any hint as to conveyance.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I can see Elsbeth in a giant puffer coat. It would go well with her goofy persona. I suppose she won't be outdoors as much as I was, though-- she probably isn't standing around outside waiting for public transit or walking long distances; she seems like a car/taxi person, though I can't remember if we ever saw her actually travel anywhere other than the first episode with the tour bus. She just seems to appear on site poof! without any hint as to conveyance.

Yeah, being magically transported everywhere with no hint of transportation is a function of TV magic .  In a large congested city like NYC that could never be the case.  This used to be a topic of conversation on another show from a few years back set in NY called "God Friended Me".  The cast often seemed to miraculously jump all around town and those of us on that thread that knew the geographic distances between certain locations and the relative slowness of any type of transportation between them were driven nuts by that.

I think you are spot-on about the long giant puffer coat, though.  My middle aged and older female friends wear them in the Winter in NY.  There's quite a bit of wind chill there because the city is surrounded by water and not far from the ocean.  And there's that intensified wind effect between office buildings to contend with too.

I'll let this article explain that:

The Venturi effect comes to the forefront when studying how winds behave in cities. When tall buildings are lined up in rows that are parallel to the prevailing winds, the wind flow gets squeezed between the buildings, resulting in a significant increase in speed. This explains why wind speeds vary greatly throughout a downtown area. 

The other factor that comes into play is called the "downdraught effect." This dicates that when winds at higher altitudes run into skyscrapers, the wind deflects both upward and downward. The portion that is deflected downward makes it down to street level and then accelerates in various directions away from the buildings. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

And there's that intensified wind effect between office buildings to contend with too.

I'll let this article explain that:

Thanks! Makes sense. Same effect in cities set in mountain passes.

But Chicago’s moniker of “The Windy City” has long been attributed to its ”long winded” politicians — which came into play in The Good Wife, and might yet be revealed to relate to Elsbeth’s mission in NYC. 

I used to wear a down puffer coat that went down to almost my ankles, plus a heavy wool coat over that (plus all the scarves, glove/mitten combos, hats, etc).

I still have my almost ankle-length puffer coat from Nordstrom Rack in Northbrook Illinois, 2001. I’ve worn it every winter. 

I can see Elsbeth in a giant puffer coat. It would go well with her goofy persona

Yes.
Elsbeth in a long puffer coat watching the ball drop on NYE!
Maybe a white puffer coat so she’d look like the Michelin Man.

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

think you are spot-on about the long giant puffer coat, though.  My middle aged and older female friends wear them in the Winter in NY.  There's quite a bit of wind chill there because the city is surrounded by water and not far from the ocean

The wind off of Lake Michigan in Chicago can be fierce too, but that’s more often in East Chicago (Indiana) because the wind usually comes screaming across the prairie from the west — like Siberia, hence the affectionate reference to Chicago in winter: Chiberia.

If the show’s season 2 starts in the fall, Elsbeth should show up in at least one full-length puffer coat by the show's winter break.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
(edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 11:14 PM, possibilities said:

I can see Elsbeth in a giant puffer coat. It would go well with her goofy persona

Speak of the devil, from tonight's episode, S01.E04: “Love Knocked Off,” I give you The Puffer Coat:
ElsbethS01E04.thumb.jpg.7a55de243d1188c1

Ooo!
Another:
9D423176-1587-4A22-8A4E-321832DEDBFD.jpeg.216977bf5e8e53559de5a1201c950987.jpeg

Makes sense, knowing Elsbeth is from Peoria, where the winters are even more like Siberia (being further away from the moderating temperatures of the lake, which, even when frozen, is still a relatively balmy 32°F in comparison to say, a -32°F windchill).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1

The puffer coats on this week's episode weren't as puffy as the ones I'm familiar with! They didn't enhance the goofiness at all! More fashion than bloated Michelan Man effect.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The puffer coats on this week's episode weren't as puffy as the ones I'm familiar with! They didn't enhance the goofiness at all! More fashion than bloated Michelan Man effect.

I think the nicer, newer puffer coats are able to be warm without the bulk. My daughter had one with her on her way to Antarctica recently. It was a lovely apricot-orange color.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Besides loving that Elsbeth wears colors, I love her patterns!

Question for those who watched The Good Wife: did Elsbeth carry all those totes when she was on? I should check to see if the library has The Good Wife dvds to watch her episodes. Paramount+ is one of the streamers we don’t subscribe to…

eta: The library has them! And The Good Fight too!

Edited by chitowngirl

I didn't watch The Good Fight, but as I recall (which may or may not be accurate), she did NOT have the totes on The Good Wife. I don't remember her being particularly fashion-forward on that show, either. It was just the ditsy persona overlaid with the extremely sharp detecting.

This dress Elbeth wore in Episode:1x04 - "Love Knocked Off," from Neiman Marcus is "sold out."

nm_4645810_100714_m

Shucks! It would look so perfect on me to wear to my imaginary interview on late night TV. 
I think I'd want a long cigarette holder (fitted with a candie cigarette) to have something to do with my hands.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1