Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Episode 8

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

’m not sure how long the eps on PBS are, but they’re considerably shorter than 58 minutes.

I checked the recording for this episode, and from beginning of theme music/opening (i.e. after previouslies and sponsorship ad) to "stay tuned for more" (i.e. before Masterpiece promo and final credits) was about 52 minutes. It seems as if the US edits lose somewhere between 2 to 4 minutes per episode. This season seems like the first where they've seemingly just chopped out entire scenes or substantial parts of them rather than little snips here and there that help with context. If it weren't for Badger's helpful posts, we'd have no idea why the nurses' wage campaign plot seemingly simply fell by the wayside, for instance, but we now know they chose to basically lose most of that entire story arc for the PBS broadcast.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Heavy sigh, this is the first time I'm glad a season is finally over. 

I agree. I've actually been watching the clock during most episodes this season, which I've never done before with CTM. 

Miss Higgins certainly has a handsome grandson. Speaking from the shallow end of the lido, I hope we see him again. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, caitmcg said:

we'd have no idea why the nurses' wage campaign plot seemingly simply fell by the wayside

Why did it, again? We saw so little of it I forgot. 

• Like 1
On 5/6/2024 at 11:21 AM, iMonrey said:

I agree this episode felt disjointed and choppy. Maybe the first time I was really aware of cuts being made. 

Interesting, I thought this was the best of the season, best for a long time. It was over filled but I felt that at first they did give some long enough scenes to the Millicent story before they started chopping them up, as per usual. They did one glaring cut while Millicent was talking to Nurse Crane. How the directors/writers of CTM think this good story telling is beyond me. But I still was invested in her storyline and teared up at the end,

I noticed that this episode had a "disturbing scenes "warning before it started, I have only noticed that once before (not sure if they always do this on PBS and I just fast forward through). I can't remember what happened in the first one with the warning  but I don't know what was so potentially disturbing about this episode, Trixie getting amniotic fluid squirted in the face??

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Blackie said:

noticed that this episode had a "disturbing scenes "warning before it started, I have only noticed that once before (not sure if they always do this on PBS and I just fast forward through). I can't remember what happened in the first one with the warning  but I don't know what was so potentially disturbing about this episode, Trixie getting amniotic fluid squirted in the face??

Maybe the part where she burned her legs.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

I noticed that this episode had a "disturbing scenes "warning before it started, I have only noticed that once before (not sure if they always do this on PBS and I just fast forward through).

They always have "This program contains mature content and may not be suitable for all viewers," but that's usually it, at least on my PBS station.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

They always have "This program contains mature content and may not be suitable for all viewers," but that's usually it, at least on my PBS station.

Mine as well. I think they are referring to the childbirth scenes.  While tastefully done I imagine that there are parents who don't want kids seeing it.

7 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Ok maybe I have just been ff and missed them .

On 5/8/2024 at 6:26 PM, Blackie said:

I can't remember what happened in the first one with the warning 

I think it was the one where when they took a man's shoe off his diseased foot tore off at the ankle.

• Like 2
On 5/10/2024 at 4:11 PM, Kenzie said:

I think it was the one where when they took a man's shoe off his diseased foot tore off at the ankle.

OMG, that was something. I gasped. 

• Like 1
On 4/27/2024 at 6:33 AM, debraran said:

I think I read CTM has 2 more years. I keep thinking when I watch it, how wonderful to end it with a reunion of some of the old cast at possibly a funeral . Sister Monica Joan is the oldest and if she had a peaceful death and they honored her with a memorial/funeral, and word got out to old friends, how lovely to have them all come to see the woman, the Sister who interacted and loved them so much. Chummy, Jenny, Patsy, Delia etc.

Most have said they are open to a cameo or one time visit but I know negotiations and money etc would also be part of it. I think since wakes bring so many together who never see each other, it might be a mix of sadness and joy which is what the show is so good at.

I absolutely love this idea! It would be fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 5/6/2024 at 2:19 PM, iMonrey said:

But they were watching slides. It isn't feasible that her son would have a slide of her in her youth. (Also, as pointed out above, the biological father most likely didn't even know about the pregnancy let alone have a relationship with him.)

I think the writers just thought this would be a nice family moment and didn't put much thought into it. Because when you try to picture the son and his family bringing out a bunch of slides and Miss Higgins saying "Oh, here is a slide I have of me, throw that in there too" it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I thought maybe she had left a picture of herself for the adoptive parents to give to the baby one day. It sounded to me like "Krishnan" did know about the baby, but the honorable thing for him, was to not dishonor his family. Millicent understood and accepted, sounded like.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, HoneyBeach said:

I absolutely love this idea! It would be fantastic.

I hope they at least try to send off the show well. 2 years is a long time, well one year with filming , but fingers crossed. they try to have old friends come by.

• Applause 1