Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Maxine Rolls the Dice

• Start Topic

IMG_4307.jpeg

With Norma’s estate going to charity, Maxine’s last shot at the Dellacorte fortune is a conservatorship that puts her at legal odds with Robert.

Premiere Date: March 27, 2024         Apple TV+   

1478x832.webp

Am I the only one watching? Not sure why I’m watching either. This episode was painful. Is Douglas supposed to be an idiot? Is Carol Burnett trying to camp it up or is the gap mouthed affect supposed to be dramatic, it’s hard to watch. I don’t like anyone except the Laura Dern character but even with her I don’t know if she’s good or bad. I knew she would end up being the one that Douglas dumped but the real mystery is why someone as smart as her would want a dolt like him to begin with. I guess I’m I the the end but wow, what a disappointment this is. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, sadie said:

Am I the only one watching?

No.  I'm watching.  I'm not entirely sure what to think of the show.  The tone is all over the place.  I agree about not being sure who to like.  Are we supposed to root for Maxine? 

• Like 5
18 hours ago, sadie said:

Am I the only one watching?

No, but you may soon be.

18 hours ago, sadie said:

I knew [the Laura Dean character] would end up being the one that Douglas dumped

Wait, what? I missed that. What told us that?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
54 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

No, but you may soon be.

Wait, what? I missed that. What told us that?

I missed that, too. I even went back yesterday and reviewed the last episode and still didn’t catch it. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, AstridM said:

I missed that, too. I even went back yesterday and reviewed the last episode and still didn’t catch it. 

It was on the old invitation she found. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, sadie said:

Aha. So this falls into the category of "words that are too small and on the screen too short a time to read even on a 43-inch high-def TV."

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

Thanks!

I had to freeze frame it to see. And it took me a moment because she was now going by her “new” name. It takes a village hahahahahaha

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I love this show. Clearly I am in the minority. Maybe because rich people being awful to each other is my catnip tv? It’s meant to be a farce. Though I will admit it took a few episodes to get there. And I think Josh Lucas is giving an award worthy performance. Is Douglas supposed to be an idiot? Yes! And he’s the best part of the show in my opinion.

• Like 3
(edited)

Carol Burnett is a national treasure. With just a face, a gesture, a grunt, or just a few slurred words, she has the ability to make one laugh out loud. Despite having the fewest lines this week, she -- as she always does -- steals the show! 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 2

There was also something about attempted murder on “Penelope’s” Rolodex card. I’m guessing the gun in the 3rd safe deposit box has something to do with that….

On 4/1/2024 at 7:46 AM, sadie said:
On 3/31/2024 at 11:49 AM, AstridM said:

Without actually reading the text from the invitation, I inferred that's what it said from the next scene where Maxime charges back home and demands to speak with Douglas right away. Moreover, this is the most strident and forceful we've seen Maxine so far, so that also suggested something quite serious.

Also, on a somewhat petty note, at least to me, Kaia Jordan Gerber looks just like Rachel Bilson. Indeed, I thought her character was being played by Rachel Bilson, but was also puzzled by that. Though Rachel Bilson is still far from "old," at least outside of Hollywood (42), isn't she not quite young enough to play this part at this point? Kaia is 22.