Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Only Advance

• Start Topic

bE0dbpVG3obSXlqtcbEv5XeWjte.jpg

A bold proposition for the Staircase Project puts the group at odds. Will weighs his options. Ye returns to a familiar place.

Premiere Date: March 21, 2024    Netflix    

AAAABeWckyLeciIL7bCO4m0dgMiZqO4FHWH3Ve3u

What about sending a severed head, of somebody who was already dying and now has a chance to live, made Auggie decide that she could't work there anymore and never should have in the first place? I swear some people....

-

Oh old chinese lady is clever. She is saying that the Santi don't understand jokes and metaphor, because they don't understand anything that isn't literal. That's how you can keep secrets from them.

I mean that doesn't make sense, with the video game they developed, but then what does make sense in this show?

• Like 5

I don't understand the severed head space probe at all.  I thought they wanted intel right away but this is going to take 200 years to reach them and given they just are sending a human brain, who knows how long an intel would take assuming they build him a new body?  Is the book this weird.

1 hour ago, greycoupon said:

I don't understand the severed head space probe at all.  I thought they wanted intel right away but this is going to take 200 years to reach them and given they just are sending a human brain, who knows how long an intel would take assuming they build him a new body?

Yeah the plan isn't great. It kinda hinges on the dude getting a new body, being allowed to roam the ship, somehow figure out their FTL communication and then phone home.

• Like 1

I couldn’t believe that the writers would actually have a character using the r-word (r*tard). I thought everyone knew how offensive that word is - it made me really angry 🤬

• Like 1
On 3/24/2024 at 11:03 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Yeah the plan isn't great. It kinda hinges on the dude getting a new body, being allowed to roam the ship, somehow figure out their FTL communication and then phone home.

That must be from the book?

All these Oxford classmates are all involved in the PDC but didn’t Chinese Mom recruit or make sure they all came to Oxford?

So maybe the San Ti chose them, got them into Oxford.

I’d guess the San Ti go and retrieve the probe anyways.  Presumably that is why they devoted so much time to Will on the show.

Only way any of these character last until end of the show would be they freeze themselves?

Chinese Mom gets to enjoy one last sunset at the top of the mountain with the radar dish.  Tatiana has been sent there to kill her.  Why?  Well they let her go back to China instead of killing her before she left the UK.

They must have hacked her flight reservations and sent Tatiana ahead because they can’t read minds right?  Maybe the books don’t  have these inconsistencies or what looks like inconsistencies.

This series is dropping plot points right and left. They made such a huge deal out of the video game then . . . nothing ever came of it. And then the San Ti said they were going to destroy our "science" and they covered the sky with some kind of mirror thing then . . . nothing. Everything was back to normal the next episode. Planes still fly, TV still works, rockets can still be launched into space. Nano fibers can still work. 

• Like 3
(edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 6:26 PM, iMonrey said:

This series is dropping plot points right and left. They made such a huge deal out of the video game then . . . nothing ever came of it. And then the San Ti said they were going to destroy our "science" and they covered the sky with some kind of mirror thing then . . . nothing. Everything was back to normal the next episode. Planes still fly, TV still works, rockets can still be launched into space. Nano fibers can still work. 

Well, maybe. Plenty of time for the video game to reappear. The pacing has changed on that while we focus on other stuff.

As for the San-Ti ceasing stopping human science, that was explained. Twice, really. First, the San-Ti are so freaked out by the concept of lying, they decided it was safer to cut off all connections with humans than to continue to stay connected to hinder human science. In this ep, it looks like the San Ti might be tentatively regrouping with a smaller, focused effort. Second, it may be this is all part of the San-Ti’s plan, including allowing science to continue, because they are curious about what they will learn from the frozen head.

At this point, I’m going with it because I want to see how weird it can get. Cancer Guy didn’t get a miracle cure offer from the San-Ti as I predicted, but he got the next best thing.

I really didn’t get the “buy a star” thing. Aside from any practical use, why would any government or (alien) species recognize that? It had a fancy office and everything, so it wasn’t just an online scam. 

Edited by Ottis
On 4/14/2024 at 2:14 AM, edhopper said:

The Santi might not understand lies and jokes, but they have human agents that do, and can explain the meaning of what is being said.

But the human agents don't monitor everybody with their magic computers. So the Santi would need to deem it suspicious and show them first.