Type keyword(s) to search

Media Thread For Elsbeth

• Start Topic

Dragging this over from the first episode thread:

7 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

The author of this👆 HuffPost article is apparently unfamiliar with the Peter Falk's Columbo, arguably the template for Elsbeth in this series, because she writes:

The episode opens with the crime, which is a confusing choice for a pilot — at one point I paused the show to make sure I was actually watching “Elsbeth” (she doesn’t appear until six minutes into the episode)

Still, she does accurately point out that Elspeth was also written similarly to the characters of Monk and Shawn Spencer:

At a crime scene, Elsbeth’s “weird, savant stuff” reminds me of Adrian Monk or Shawn Spencer,

• Like 4
(edited)

Inside Line: Scoop on Fire Country and NCIS: Hawai’i Finales, Homecoming, Elsbeth, FBI, Walker Spinoff Closure, Station 19, a Cancellation and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   APRIL 18, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/fire-country-finale-spoilers-domina-cancelled-season-3/ 

Will Carrie Preston’s husband, Michael Emerson, ever guest-star on Elsbeth? –D.K.
When I recently met with Preston and the CBS series’ EPs, everyone was very game to have Emerson fill a role — but it won’t possibly happen until (the newly ordered!) Season 2. “We’ve got four more episodes of Evil [to film], and then he’ll be available,” Robert King, who co-created both shows with wife Michelle, explained in late March. “I think [Evil will wrap at] the end of May, so not this season of Elsbeth.”

I’m loving Elsbeth so far but the formula can be a bit… formulaic? Will it ever change up once in a while? –Beth
“We will be experimenting with variations of the form in Season 1,” which has six of 10 episodes left to air, showrunner Jonathan Tolins told me. But insightful Elsbeth will always be spot-on with her hunch, right…? “You’ll have to watch,” the EP hedged.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Ratings: 9-1-1 Dips With #Madney Wedding, Still Ties for Thursday Demo Win
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 3, 2024 
https://tvline.com/ratings/ghosts-finale-viewers-season-2-1235228725/ 

CBS | Young Sheldon (with 7.2 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating) was up in both measures, Ghosts (6 mil/0.5, average TVLine reader grade “A”, read post mortem) was steady with its Season 2 finale, So Help Me Todd (4.2 mil/0.3) dropped some eyeballs, and Elsbeth (4.2 mil/0.3) rose in the demo.

(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on FBI, S.W.A.T., Chicago Fire, PLL, Mayfair Witches, The Way Home, The Rookie, Criminal Minds and More
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 8, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/fbi-maggie-returns-season-6-finale-missy-peregrym/ 

Will Elsbeth’s investigation into Captain Wagner be resolved by the end of Season 1? –Craig

Spoiler

As hinted by the most recent episode’s cliffhanger, “It will come to a head,” showrunner Jonathan Tolins assured TVLine. “It will get to a point where things are answered.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Thursday Ratings: Farmer Wants a Wife Season 2 Ends on High Note
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 10, 2024 
https://tvline.com/ratings/young-sheldon-viewers-george-dies-final-season-1235237868/ 

CBS | Ahead of next week’s series finale, a double helping of Young Sheldon (with 6.7 million viewers/0.4 demo rating, then 6.8 mil/0.5) was down a bit in audience steady week-to-week; watch the cast react to tragic twist. So Help Me Todd (4.4 mil/0.3) added a few eyeballs, while Elsbeth (4.2 mil/0.2 matched its demo low.

(edited)

Ratings: Elsbeth Finale Is Thursday’s Most-Watched Program
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 24, 2024
https://tvline.com/ratings/elsbeth-finale-viewers-renewed-season-2-1235246125/ 

In the latest TV ratings, CBS’ Elsbeth finale was Thursday’s most-watched show, while ABC’s 9-1-1 led the night in the demo.

CBS | Leading out of The Price Is Right at Night (which drew 3.8 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating), Elsbeth‘s freshman finale (4.9 mil/0.3, average TVLine reader grade “A”; read post mortem) was up 14% week-to-week.

Edited by tv echo
  • Applause 2
(edited)

‘Elsbeth’: Carrie Preston on Hopes for Michael Emerson & Stephen Moyer Return in Season 2
Meredith Jacobs   MAY 24, 2024
https://www.tvinsider.com/1137323/elsbeth-season-2-michael-emerson-carrie-preston-stephen-moyer/ 

Elsbeth will be back for its second season in the fall, and when TV Insider asked Preston for her dream guest stars, she has someone in mind: “You know I have to say Michael Emerson,” she said with a laugh. (Preston and Emerson are married and have appeared together onscreen in the past, including on Person of Interest.) “We’re hoping that he’ll come to the Elsbeth world now that he’s done with the Kings other show Evil. So that would be wonderful.”

She also already has an idea of the role she’d like to see him play. “It would be fun to see Michael not be a murderer or someone evil. It would be fun to see him be maybe even part of the police department or something like that,” she shared. “It’s not up to me, but I’ll take him in any role that I can get him in.”
When it comes to bringing back a criminal from Season 1 for Elsbeth to encounter again, showrunner Jonathan Tolins pointed out, “I kind of feel like these are murderers who did terrible things. I mean, it’s possible one or two of them might get out of prison at some point.” That being said, he hasn’t ruled out seeing Laura Benanti as Nadine again. “There is a really nice friendship growing between Elsbeth and Nadine, and Laura had such a wonderful time on the show that I think we might see Nadine again.”

Preston would love to have Stephen Moyer, her True Blood costar who played the series’ first killer in the pilot, return. “I’ve always thought it would be really fun if Elsbeth went back to visit Alex in prison to maybe get some acting tips or something from him because he’s a director,” she said. “Their dynamic was fun, I think partially because it was the pilot and we were all inventing the world together, but I think also because Stephen Moyer and I have such a history together having been on True Blood for seven years together, so I think that could be a really cute and fun and kind of dangerous little revisit.”
And as it was her first case, “it has a special place in her heart, even though he is a terrible person,” she continued. “Elsbeth always seems to find the humanity in these people. She wants to know why they’ve done such things, and so she gets to know them in a way that maybe other detectives don’t.”

‘Elsbeth’: How Classic Mystery Series ‘Columbo’ Inspired Carrie Preston’s Spinoff Show
By Jack Dunn, Jazz Tangcay   May 25, 2024
https://variety.com/video/elsbeth-carrie-preston-wendell-pierce-carra-patterson/ 

Co-creators and writers Michelle and Robert King first conceived the idea for “Elsbeth” while binge-watching TV during the pandemic, a universal experience for many. They wanted to create a show that invoked that same comfort that their favorite episodic mysteries provided during that time.

“We were watching a lot of comfort TV, and comfort felt like ‘Columbo’ and that cozy mystery rather than…a 10-hour movie, which is what some of these streaming shows pretend to be,” Michelle King said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Elsbeth’: Hopes forReturn in Season 2 tvinsider.com/1137323/elsbeth-season-2-michael-emerson-carrie-preston-stephen-moyer/ 

When it comes to bringing back a criminal from Season 1 for Elsbeth to encounter again, showrunner Jonathan Tolins pointed out, “I kind of feel like these are murderers who did terrible things.

Ooo. Can Keegan-Michael Key please return as the twin of his convicted brother Ashton Hayes?

• Like 4
On 5/25/2024 at 1:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

Ooo. Can Keegan-Michael Key please return as the twin of his convicted brother Ashton Hayes?

I keep seeing him in those Choice Hotels commercials and wishing there were a way to bring him back like Columbo brought actors back (one of them being Patrick McGoohan one of my very first crushes).  Speaking of that, Adam 12 also brought back a lot of actors to play different roles so I guess maybe that was a thing back in the day.

4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I keep seeing him in those Choice Hotels commercials and wishing there were a way to bring him back like Columbo brought actors back (one of them being Patrick McGoohan one of my very first crushes).  Speaking of that, Adam 12 also brought back a lot of actors to play different roles so I guess maybe that was a thing back in the day.

Perry Mason too, and, of course, let's not forget the Law & Order franchise.
More recently, there have been a couple of "limited series" shows that did this, giving the continuing actors different roles in each season.

• Like 1
(edited)

Carrie Preston Looks Ahead to New Sides of ‘Elsbeth’ in Season 2
Meredith Jacobs   MAY 25, 2024
https://www.tvinsider.com/1137324/elsbeth-carrie-preston-season-2-wagner-dog/ 

How do you think she’s grown as an investigator this season? She also didn’t have a hunch when she normally would in the finale.

Yes, Elsbeth has this capacity to hold a lot of things in her brain at once, but we also see that she’s a vulnerable person who’s human, and when emotions take over, as they do in the finale, she doesn’t quite know how to focus on the work without those emotions also coming in. I think it was wonderful to have that vulnerability, and I was talking to the writers throughout the season making sure that we kept her as not some superhuman person who can solve a crime within three seconds of meeting someone, that there are doubts in her mind the way there are doubts in all of our minds about certain things and especially a life-or-death kind of thing.
What are you hoping to explore with Elsbeth in Season 2?

I think it would be fun to see her in more situations, maybe outside of work, just to get to know her a little bit more. She’s such a career woman, but it’s been nice to get these little glimpses of her outside of that. And I think the writers, as you saw in the finale, are starting to mess around a little bit with the structure. And so perhaps they’ll do that a little more in Season 2. I trust them so fully that I get excited when I get a script because I learn more about the character than I knew thanks to them.

What are the chances of seeing Teddy?

Gosh, I don’t know. I personally think it’s really fun not to see him in the same way that we didn’t see Columbo’s wife. He talked about his wife all the time and we never saw her. And there’s something to be said for leaving the audience to imagine what Teddy is like than to actually cast an actor as Teddy. That said, I, again, trust Jonathan Tolins, our showrunner and all the creators of the show to, if they do cast Teddy, find somebody who’s going to be wonderful and maybe it’ll be something that I couldn’t have dreamt. So I’m open to anything as far as Teddy goes.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

More recently, there have been a couple of "limited series" shows that did this, giving the continuing actors different roles in each season.

A Nero Wolfe Mystery series with Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton had a repertory cast where various actors played multiple different roles throughout the series.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Interview with Elsbeth showrunner/writer Jonathan Tolins....

How ‘Elsbeth’ Became the Surprise TV Hit of the Year
Sophie Brookover     May 29, 2024 
https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/how-elsbeth-became-the-surprise-tv-hit-of-the-year 

Impressively, Elsbeth weathered a wobbly series launch—a strong pilot was followed by a five-week hiatus caused by schedule conflicts with the State of the Union and March Madness broadcasts—going on to secure a full-season pickup for next year before the midway point of its 10-episode first season. The moment was captured on set in a video of Preston breaking character while shooting the first season finale to announce the happy news to her co-stars and the entire crew.
Your second season pickup came so early in the first series run, and must have been such welcome news. What do you think audiences are responding to with Elsbeth?
First, they respond to Carrie Preston, who is so wonderful and was made for this role; you want to be in her presence for an hour every week. The relationships she has with Carra Patterson and Wendell Pierce are great, too, and I think our show—which, yes, has murder in it, is just a lot of fun, because it’s always done in a way that is kind of satirical or a little bit loopy. We have a lot of fun with the different worlds we go into in New York, so each episode feels very different, and it doesn’t get stale. I also think it was a good time for a show like this. Audiences like the comfort of a procedural mixed with humor and kindness, and we’ve also managed to get really great guest stars who have terrific chemistry with Carrie.

It’s been fun to see who the guest stars will be each week. I know you have a ton of experience in theater as a playwright, and as a writer for the Tonys. How closely do you work on the casting of those guest stars?
Often, the writers’ room has great ideas, so we bring those to our casting director Finley Davidson, and with the other executive producers, we just start winnowing it down. I was lucky that there were a bunch of people this year who I knew personally—Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who I actually originally wrote the play Buyer and Cellar for; Jane Krakowski, who I worked with on Schmigadoon!; and Laura Benanti, too—I think that connection helped them commit to doing a show that hadn’t yet been seen. Now that people have seen what we’re doing, I’m hoping even more exciting actors will be ready to jump in. We did incredibly well for a brand-new show.

They’re one of the most fun elements of the show, for sure. Let’s talk a little bit about your relationship to mystery. It’s a genre with an enormous umbrella of subgenres and types of worlds you can visit. Were there favorite authors or TV series or films that you wanted to take a spin through this season?
I was not a huge mystery fan growing up, but I do love them. And I’ve been studying them a lot to see how they’re done. When we got picked up, it was right after the WGA strike began, so I watched every single episode of Columbo, because it’s the granddaddy of this “How to Catch ʼEm” genre. I also watched all of Poker Face, which was wonderful. I spent a lot of time paying attention to the techniques that I found most interesting and thinking about how much fun the playing at home part of it is.

The main thing I decided early on from those series was that I wanted to make sure that the clues Elsbeth uses to catch the killer are very specific to the world of that episode.

We try not to do anything that could be anywhere, like security camera footage. For instance, in the Keegan-Michael Key episode, a key clue is the watch that’s used in the bride and groom’s choreographed cringey first dance. We’re doing a country club wedding episode, so the murder mystery clues should be things that we all think are funny or interesting about a wedding. When we did the tennis tournament episode with Blair Underwood, we found ourselves wondering about the ball girl—that’s where our show gets the most fun.
I love that in the finale she gets validated as a person with a really specific sense of style. Was that something you guys were writing towards?
No, in the original plan, we were going to do a Met Gala episode, but as we were writing the season we saw that it was always fun to put Elsbeth in some fun new activity, like rock climbing, or driving a golf cart or dancing or you know, or taking a tennis lesson. All these things we love to throw at her to see her do stuff. Elsbeth on the runway just felt like such a natural thing for our finale.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)

L.A. Times Envelope Drama Roundtable with Carrie Preston and others...

Drama Talk: Giancarlo Esposito, Maya Erskine, Amy Ryan, Carrie Preston, Jess Hong & Morgan Spector
Los Angeles Times   Premiered Jun 7, 2024

-- Before Elsbeth, CP played Elsbeth only 19 times on The Good Wife/The Good Fight over the course of 14 years.

-- Now playing Elsbeth every day, CP is learning about her character and noted that the writer initially wrote in a lot of pauses. She thought that if she knew what was going on during the pauses, then that would become the key to her character's unconventional way of thinking. So she kept leaning into that and then writers wrote into that.

-- CP played one of the singing cousins in My Best Friend's Wedding. Being in a Julia Roberts rom-com was the biggest moment of her life at the time. It was her first big film. Half of what she shot was cut from the final film. Filming the singing scene took two 12-hour days.

-- CP kept a "thing that says 'Homemade Pies' from Merlotte's, which was the bar in True Blood where I worked." It's hanging in a window and reminds her of that show.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)

‘It’s the anti-grit show’: How CBS and the Kings landed a TV hit with ‘Elsbeth’
By Mark Olsen, Yvonne Villarreal and Shawn Finnie   June 6, 2024 
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2024-06-06/elsbeth-michelle-king-jonathan-tolins-lessons-in-chemistry-aja-naomi-king-envelope-podcast

Tolins: Well, it’s a whole feeling. This is not a political show whereas “The Good Fight” very much was. It’s also not an issue-based show, although we find, as writers, ways to sort of put in things we find interesting and [that] comments on the world, as in the course of our cases and all that. This show is its own thing. It’s this sort of very funny, serious cop show. One of the things we learned early on was that it works best when we play it like a very straight CBS procedural, with this quirky character thrown in the middle of it, questioning everything. And I always say that I — this wasn’t the plan — but somehow I ended up in the perfect position to work on this show, because the last three TV shows I did before this were “The Good Fight,” “Schmigadoon!” and “East New York.” And if you put those three shows in a blender, that’s sort of how you end up with.
Tolins: I think the big difference — and I love “Poker Face” too — there are certain main differences that I feel, oh, we’re not doing the same thing, thank God. The big difference is there are always scenes where the audience knows something that Elsbeth doesn’t. You wouldn’t have that if you didn’t do the howdunnit format. And so really the real fun of watching an actor play a character who is lying, and we know for a fact they’re lying, is different. It’s a different kind of fun. Now, that said, we are breaking form sometimes, and sometimes we are not always playing it the same way. When I started, I thought, oh God, this is going to be so hard to keep coming up with these [cases] in a way that’s satisfying. You usually show the murder, but you don’t always show all the clues of how she’s going to [figure it out]. We try to dole out the information so there are twists and turns, but I kind of feel freed by it a little bit. I’ve learned that it’s sort of like working in the sonata form; you have a basic form that you can keep pushing at the edges of and try to find new ways to do it, but still come to a satisfactory conclusion.
Villarreal: We’ve obviously heard a lot about Elsbeth’s son this season, and he unintentionally gets into an entanglement with Capt. Wagner in terms of him sort of exerting his influence. Are we going to see Elsbeth’s son?

Tolins: Maybe. I mean, you never saw Mrs. Columbo until she got her own series. So, you know, watch out for Teddy Tascioni coming this fall! That came about because, when Robert and Michelle asked me to do this, I went and watched every episode Elsbeth ever appeared in. And I’ve been saying it’s the first episode, but it’s actually the second episode she appeared in on “The Good Wife,” where she mentions her son set her up with her computer. So we went back. We figured, OK, well, he was maybe like 10 years old then. So we figure he’s mid-20s now. And we just thought, well, she’s a mother. And what kind of kid would she have? What kind of mother would she be? And it’s opened up, actually, really lovely stuff for the character. But I don’t know what we’re going to do yet [with him].

‘Elsbeth’ Boss on Pulling Off One Final Twist in Season 1 Finale
BY TYLER COATES   JUNE 8, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/elsbeth-boss-twist-season-one-1235915584/ 

All clues point to Nadine as the perpetrator of the murder; Elsbeth is convinced she’s behind the death of fashion photographer Ezra Tate. But (spoiler alert) this is a red herring to throw Elsbeth, and the viewers, off Matteo’s trail. “How do you do it in a way that people don’t see it all coming?” recalls [showrunner Jonathan] Tolins of this particular narrative challenge. “You want to get something by an audience, make it funny and, hopefully, so entertaining that they will let it go. Matteo leads Elsbeth to the fashion show, so I’m hoping viewers’ antennae don’t go up and they think, ‘Oh, that’s our murderer.’ ”

16Brep_script-EMBED-4-2024.jpg

Carrie Preston pops up and pops out as the smarter-than-she-seems ‘Elsbeth’
By Robert Abele   June 10, 2024
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2024-06-10/carrie-preston-pops-up-and-pops-out-in-elsbeth 

Elsbeth came into our lives early in the run of “The Good Wife.” What do you recall of her origins?

When I got offered the role, Robert said, “We’re thinking about her like a female Columbo.” I knew what he meant, that she would go about things in an unconventional way and people would underestimate her. In that first script, they wrote the word “pause” in parentheses. And I thought, “I’m really interested in what’s going on in that pause. I’m going to fill that in and see if it’s something they find interesting.” So I started digging and figured, maybe she’s thinking one thing, saying another, and her body’s doing a third thing.
Elsbeth’s tote bag, the object of so much online speculation. What’s in it?

I’m not telling you! You’ll notice, though, that I’ve made the choice, whenever I do finally catch the criminal, I’m not carrying any bags. Because I decided I don’t need them!

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Big Little Lies, Leverage, Chicago P.D., The Way Home, The Rookie, The Diplomat, Criminal Minds and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JUNE 10, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/big-little-lies-season-3-status-david-e-kelley-update/ 

Any idea what the episode counts for next season will be for The Equalizer, Elsbeth and Tracker? –Lucy
Nothing is locked in just yet, but you should expect most returning CBS shows to land in the 18-22 range.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Elsbeth's Robert King has a solo interview at the start of this video and then returns near the end for the roundtable group panel...

Directors Panel: Elsbeth, I'm a Virgo, Justified: City Primeval, Red White & Royal Blue, Reserv Dogs
GoldDerby / Gold Derby   Jun 4, 2024

Five TV directors will reveal secrets behind their projects when they join Gold Derby's special "Meet the Experts" Q&A event with 2024 Emmy Awards contenders. Enjoy our full one-hour video with solo chats for each person followed by a lively roundtable group panel. Guests are from Elsbeth (Robert King), I’m a Virgo (Boots Riley), Justified: City Primeval (Michael Dinner), Red, White and Royal Blue (Matthew López) and Reservation Dogs (Sterlin Harjo). Gold Derby contributor Sam Eckmann is the host.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Interview with Ande Yun, makeup department head on Elsbeth...

How the ‘Elsbeth’ and ‘The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live’ Makeup Designer Balances Beauty & Blood
BY EMMA FRASER | JUNE 12, 2024
https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/walking-dead-ones-who-live-makeup-designer-interview-77353/ 

Can you discuss collaborating with Preston on “Elsbeth” and how her costumes impact the makeup?
I think the wardrobe does a lot of talking, and I very happily keep her palette on her face a bit more neutral because we never want to be charactery [or] clownish. She’s a very put-together, smart, quick, intelligent person. She’s able to put these outfits together that are bright and show her personality, but I don’t want to compete. I don’t want her to come on camera, and you’re like, [gasp!], because it’s just too much. We’re just a bit more restrained on the face. 

Carrie’s a beautiful person. She shines from the inside out. So we keep her clean and bright and fresh. The fortunate thing about her having so many different colors is you can pretty much put any lip color on her and it’s going to match something she’s wearing. But, generally, she’s wearing a warmer tone close to her face; we do a warmer lipstick. If she’s wearing something cooler, we do something a little bit cooler. She can wear many different colors, and that makes my job so much easier.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Cool suggestion...

Dream Roles for Stars of Cancelled Shows: Abbott’s New P.E. Coach, Enigmatic Severance Bureaucrat, Elsbeth’s M.I.A. Son and More
BY NICK CARUSO, DAVE NEMETZ, VLADA GELMAN, RYAN SCHWARTZ, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, KEISHA HATCHETT, REBECCA IANNUCCI, CHARLIE MASON, KIMBERLY ROOTS   JUNE 14, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/cancelled-shows-actors-new-roles-photos-2024/ 

But again: These are dream castings from Team TVLine, not actual news items.
Skylar Astin
Past Gig: So Help Me Todd’s titular investigator 

New Gig: Elsbeth’s never-before-seen but oft-mentioned son, Teddy

Edited by tv echo
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Dream Roles for Stars of Cancelled Shows: Abbott’s New P.E. Coach, Enigmatic Severance Bureaucrat, Elsbeth’s M.I.A. Son and More
BY NICK CARUSO, DAVE NEMETZ, VLADA GELMAN, RYAN SCHWARTZ, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, KEISHA HATCHETT, REBECCA IANNUCCI, CHARLIE MASON, KIMBERLY ROOTS   JUNE 14, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/cancelled-shows-actors-new-roles-photos-2024/ 

But again: These are dream castings from Team TVLine, not actual news items.…Skylar Astin...
Past Gig: So Help Me Todd’s titular investigator 
New Gig: Elsbeth’s never-before-seen but oft-mentioned son, Teddy

Carrie Preston and Skylar Austin are actually 20 years apart, and he plays zany well, but I wonder if they might prefer someone more low-key for Elsbeth's son, Teddy, to give their characters a dynamic that bounces back and forth when they're in scenes together instead of, IDK, bouncing off the walls?
But Elsbeth is kind of lowkey a lot of the time, so maybe. 

I don't know about the other "dream castings" in the article, but in this case they actually are planning on casting Teddy, right? 
Or did I read that there's still a possibility that they might go the Mrs. Columbo route and we'd never see him?

(edited)

Carrie Preston Says Expect Surprises On Season 2 Of ‘Elsbeth’ And Names Her Dream Guest Star
By Stewart Clarke   June 16, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/06/carrie-preston-season-two-elsbeth-cbs-the-good-wife-meryl-streep-1235974863/ 

Preston is at the Monte Carlo TV Festival and sat down with Deadline to talk about the show. CBS has renewed the freshman series for the 2024-2025 season and Preston said the team is gearing up for a run that has been extended from ten episodes in season one to 20 episodes in season two.

The writers will stick to the procedural formula but add twists in season two. “You’re going to be able to enjoy the structure of the how-done-it, but they’re going to mix that up, so don’t be thinking you know exactly what you’re going to get each time,” Preston said. “They’re trying to make sure that there’s some freshness so that people don’t get too comfortable, and also, you know, this is Elsbeth, so there’s going to be some surprises.”
Deadline asked Preston who her dream guest star would be. Her lighthearted response showed she is aiming high: “Meryl Streep, if you’re around and you want to come and be on CBS, we’d love to have you.”
“Even though we have always a case that we’re on, we’ll be learning more about her personal life,” Preston said. “I think the writers will be even more willing to take a couple of moments in each episode to really breathe into Elsbeth’s out-of-work life.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

CP gave multiple interviews at the Monte-Carlo Television Festival...

Carrie Preston Talks Season 2 of ‘Elsbeth’: ‘We Will Learn More About Everybody’s Backstory’
By Marta Balaga   Jun 17, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/tv/global/carrie-preston-elsbeth-monte-carlo-1236040247/ 

“Oh yes – the bags. They were there from the very beginning,” laughs Preston.

“Believe it or not, but many lawyers carry around bags all the time. There is stuff in there! But it was such a gift that they gave me that, because I love working with props and physical comedy. It makes you feel specific about what you are doing. It became something to lean on.”
“She gets seduced by a million different things, she’s thinking about the case and about the color of the walls, all these things at once. Still, somehow she is able to focus on whatever task is at hand. She says whatever comes into her mind and it can be disarming, but it’s also her superpower. It makes criminals say things they wish they didn’t.”
“She sees the good in things. And we are at a time, right now, when there is a lot of bad. Humanity is being challenged and she is someone who stands for always seeing the world as a positive place. There is joy to be had, there is love to be had, there is curiosity.”

“You can choose to see things in a negative way. She doesn’t want to live her life her way, but it doesn’t mean bad things don’t happen. She experiences heartbreak and she allows herself to feel it. But she continues on. I think it’s infectious. It’s a good message to be putting out into the world right now.”

Carrie Preston on Playing Elsbeth for 14 Years (and Why She’d Play Her for Another 14)
BY BRANDE VICTORIAN   JUNE 17, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/carrie-preston-playing-elsbeth-the-good-wife-the-good-fight-1235920274/ 

“Fourteen years ago, when they first offered me this delicious role, Robert King got on the phone with me and said, ‘The way we’re thinking about her is like a female Columbo,’ so it’s kind of prophetic that here we are borrowing the structure of Columbo and those great ‘howdunits,’ but with this very unexpected character at the center of it.”
“We’re so used to seeing men [in these roles] — Sherlock, Monk, Columbo — so to have a woman who’s very decidedly unusual, not trying to blend into what’s pretty much a man’s world, makes it really fun and refreshing and a great contrast to what we usually see in a procedural,” says Preston.
“I feel like I sort of represent all the working actors who, you recognize their faces, but you might not think, ‘Oh, I know exactly who that person is,’ because they play so many different characters,” she adds. “To be trusted with a lead as somebody who’s had a career like that is such a gift.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Walker Finale, The Bear, Presumed Innocent, The Way Home, Melrose Place, The Rookie, Criminal Minds and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JUNE 26, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/walker-series-finale-closure-cliffhanger-cancelled-the-cw/melrose-place-revival/ 

With the mentions of Elsbeth‘s son, might we meet Teddy’s dad in Season 2? Elsbeth had no love life in Season 1. –Ken
When I last spoke to series lead Carrie Preston, she seemed in no rush for Elsbeth to get romantically entangled, just yet. “She’s single, and that’s wonderful about the show,” she said. “She’s come to New York from Chicago, reinventing herself in some ways, so I think it’s great she’s not attached to anyone except her self and her career, her son…. It will be interesting to see if we ever see a love interest for her, because she’s very busy — and happily so!” (Note, Ken: A TVLine reader reminds that Will Patton played ex-husband Mike Tascioni in several Good Wife Season 7 episodes.)

• Useful 1
(edited)

‘Elsbeth’ Burning Question Answered: Why Carrie Preston’s Character Totes So Many Bags
By Lynette Rice   July 13, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/07/elsbeth-cbs-why-does-she-carry-so-many-bags-1236009476/

While talking with reporters Saturday at the Television Critics Tour, Carrie Preston explained why her quirky character Elsbeth Tascioni carries not one, but three bags at any one time on her CBS drama.

For the uninitiated, Elsbeth’s penchant for portable storage began on The Good Wife, which was the idea of then Executive Producer Brooke Kennedy.

“She needs to always be carrying a bunch of things. We got very specific about what those bags were,” Preston explained. “She won’t carry a briefcase. She doesn’t think of herself in that way. They became a fun accessory. She has bags in her brain, she has Rolodexes in her brain. She’s picking out little things that she put there 20 years ago, and she’s like ‘I can use that here.'”
“The bags are [filled with] whatever she thinks she might need that day to help her with her work,” continued Preston, who marveled about a reporter’s inquiry about the bags and their contents. “I find it fascinating how many people are interested in what is in the bags. But are you interested in what is in her brain too?”

But there are key moments on the show when Elsbeth forgoes the excess baggage. “I’ve made the choice in Elsbeth that once I have got a killer and I’m ready to go in and frame them, I don’t have the bags,” she said. “You’ll notice in the show, in those final scenes when I come in to arrest the murderers, I don’t need those bags anymore.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

We know what's in her brain-- she tells us, the whole show is about that. But we never get a hint of what's in the totes! They never show her taking anything out or putting anything in them and they usually look empty! I don't think it's fair of her to think the tote bag question is unfair!

I agree it's sweet that her hubs watches the show in reruns to catch everything.

• Like 2
(edited)

TV Talk at TCA: ‘Tracker,’ ‘Elsbeth’ prepare 2nd seasons; ‘Young Sheldon’ spin-off to premiere
ROB OWEN  | Sunday, July 14, 2024
https://triblive.com/aande/movies-tv/tv-talk-at-tca-tracker-elsbeth-prepare-2nd-seasons-young-sheldon-spin-off-to-premiere/

CBS’s “Columbo”-like murder mystery “Elsbeth” will “shake things up” in season two, according to executive producer Jonathan Tolins.

“We want to have some things from the past come back and haunt our characters,” Tolins said. “What led Elsbeth to leave her life in Chicago? … Now that we’ve established these wonderful relationships, we want to pull the rug out from under them and see what happens. Our show is comfort food but we don’t want to get too comfortable.”

The Elsbeth character, played by Carrie Preston, first appeared on “The Good Wife” and “The Good Fight” and while producers avoided bringing on any characters from those series in the first season of “Elsbeth,” Tolins said there’s “a strong possibility” some of those characters may appear in season two, though none have been lined up so far.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Ghosts, Elsbeth, Found, NCIS: Origins, Frasier, Based on a True Story, Harley Quinn, Irrational, a Cancellation and More
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JULY 19, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/ghosts-season-4-sas-death-revealed-onechicago-episode-count/reacher-season-3-release-date/ 

Any idea what the episode counts will be this season for The Equalizer, Elsbeth and Tracker? –Lucy
I am awaiting double-secret confirmation of The Equalizer‘s Season 5 count, but Elsbeth will be 20 and Tracker 22. 
Is Gonzo the dog going to be a recurring character on Elsbeth next season? I sure hope so! –Karen
Elsbeth’s buddy will definitely be back. “I was so happy with that because of the way Gonzo came about,” showrunner Jonathan Tolins tells TVLine. “We had this murder plot with a dog, and just at a certain point, we thought, like, ‘What if Elsbeth falls in love with this dog?’ So it was nice how [Gonzo] was introduced in such an organic way, because we didn’t know we were doing it.”

Why has CBS been heavily airing Elsbeth promos? The season has been over for months and was renewed. Why aren’t they using these resources towards Kathy Bates’ Matlock, Queen Latifah’s The Equalizer, or anything new on CBS’ lineup (except NCIS: Origins)? I’m an Elsbeth fan, but I feel it’s a little much. –Scott
I’m purely spitballing here, but they might have been trying to elevate the show’s profile during the Emmys nomination process (albeit, and sadly, for naught).

The Cast of 'Elsbeth' Talk Best Advice & Dream Guest Stars | Conversations Between Stars
CBS   Jul 18, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've seen a lot of Matlock promos. Maybe they are trying to get people to watch Elsbeth who didn't already watch it (i.e. via streaming or repeats) to boost the already good ratings when it comes back this fall.

Olympic summers are always dicey for every other thing that airs. But if you're not into the Olympics, you might want a series to watch that you missed the first time. It's a good opportunity, I'd imagine, for shows to pick up new viewers who aren't into sports.

• Like 1
(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Found, #OneChicago, SEAL Team, Criminal Minds, S.W.A.T., Sex Lives of College Girls, Elsbeth, Tracker and More
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JULY 25, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/chicago-fire-med-pd-crossover-update-2024-2025-tv-season/ 

I never watched The Good Wife or The Good Fight, but I’m watching Elsbeth. What’s the deal with her constantly carrying multiple tote bags? Is there backstory I’m missing? –Karen
Elsbeth herself, Carrie Preston, explained at the TCA summer press tour that the idea was introduced years ago by Good Wife director/producer Brooke Kennedy, who “was like, ‘I think she needs to be always carrying a bunch of things, with all of her papers in there.’ So it became a really fun accessory, but it also became a real insight into how her brain works. She has a lot of ‘bags’ in her brain, if you know what I mean, a lot of compartments. She’s constantly going back and picking out little things that she saw 20 years ago and going, ‘I can use that here.'” On Elsbeth, Preston added the stealthy detail that “once I have got the killer and I’m ready to go in and frame them, I don’t have the bags. In those final scenes, when I come in to bring in everybody to arrest the murderer, I don’t need those [bags] anymore.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1