Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E01 Auditions, Part 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

Auditions in the hometowns of the judges--Santa Barbara, CA (Katy), Tuskegee, AL (Lionel), and Leesburg, GA (Luke).

I will continue to say that I don't like how they jump back and forth between different locations that were probably taped weeks apart from each other.  I wish they would show the auditions from one city, and then move on.

Edited by paul4295
  • Like 14

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...  I get really tired of all the "back story" we are forced to watch for every contestant.  Obviously, if they've taken the time and money to go film in a contestant's hometown, we know they're likely "going to Hollywood".  All of these reality shows do it anymore.  Everyone has to have a sad sob story to make the cut.  Why can't we just hear their auditions without all the extra filler?  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Other than the joke singer who threw her' fur' coat on the floor, the night's auditioners were pretty listenable. A lot more singers in their mid-late 20's than usual, too. 

Platinum ticket guy was very good, though prone to too many complicated runs. Not that it matters, but I can't help wondering why his family is living in a hotel room-they all looked well fed and dressed to the nines-why bring it up without an explanation?

The adopted girl back story was so exploitative. I also thought her voice was rather thin.

Best spot of the night (for me, for you) was 1986 Lionel singing 'Three Times a Lady' to his grandma. What a tribute to her that he's kept up her cute house so lovingly.

• Like 7
(edited)

*5 tries to finally get to these forums???

Anyway....I already like all of these contestants better than anyone from last season except for the country kid Colin so there's that. Colin epitomized what the show was supposed to be and should have won imo. I still look at a couple of his performances on YouTube because they were so good. Literally plucked from the farm. Luke did a good job with him.            (end of rant)

But speaking of Luke, I did lol at the noise he made taunting Katy when her manager exclaimed with respect to Jack "what is wrong with you guys?"  I'm sure it was all probably maybe staged but I still laughed. And it was cool to see the crew. Stirred some memories for me as that's what I used to do. Job could be fun but also hell. Lol

And on a sidenote, I was happy to see Iam looking seemingly happy. Didn't like how the show exploited his story and grief last season. There were times he really didn't look like he was having fun. Hopefully he's good now.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Best spot of the night (for me, for you) was 1986 Lionel singing 'Three Times a Lady' to his grandma. What a tribute to her that he's kept up her cute house so lovingly.

Yeah, that was a nice touch :). 

I agree that the auditioners were pretty good overall. I liked Mackenzie, the British guy, at the beginniing - I laugehd at the bit when he got emotional upon seeing his mom show up and he was like, "Girls are watching!" and Katy was like, "That's what we love to see!" :p. But yeah, he seemed charming.

I also love that two auditioners each picked the same Sam Cooke song. But hey, it's a good song, so I can certainly understand picking it. 

I kinda tended to agree with Katy on that Jack who auditioned - his voice wasn't bad, I can definitely see him having a nice little career with his sound, but I also agree that he put a lot of effects into his singing that he really didn't need to do. HIs voice was fine enough just on its own. But he got another go, so hopefully it works out for him :). 

• Like 1
(edited)

Gather 'round, my children, to hear of Ye Olden Idol Days, when the young contestants were without polish or professionalism. Yes, we cringed when Simon went too far ("You look like a Bush Baby"), but the singers auditioned both individually and in groups, with original songs and choreography, staying awake all hours creating and practicing, depending upon no instruments (until Taylor Hicks, I think), and---to me most significantly---having no pre-conceived particular genre or gender "slot" to fill. 

Now, instead of contestant creativity we get the back stories, the sob stories, the stories of grit and pluck and perseverance. Fewer "awful" attempts, but more mediocre ones. 

Still, every now and then......🎤🎶💯

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Platinum ticket guy was very good, though prone to too many complicated runs. Not that it matters, but I can't help wondering why his family is living in a hotel room-they all looked well fed and dressed to the nines-why bring it up without an explanation?

This!!!  I couldn't help but notice all the bling he and his wife were wearing, and I'm thinking that would have paid a couple months' rent!!

Platinum ticket guy's family was Camera ready because they were given $ ahead of time to look nice.  They're still living in a hotel. 

All the$ millions the 3 judges Make could house them for years for a pittance. 

• Like 1

Another year, another round of sob stories that I give zero shits about. Everybody has a sad story. I care about whether these people can sing. 

On a positive, I think Katy put 5 people into the top 10 in the first episode, so that’s good to know that we’re halfway there. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Yeah, it's bad enough that she tells so many people that they are top 10 in the first place.  It's even worse when they show so many of them all in the same episode (part of the problem of mashing auditions from all different locations together and jumping around to the point that I can't even tell where they are--not that I was paying a lot of attention anyway).  I know that in the early days on FOX they would sometimes end up with cities that had a lot more successes than others, but so what?  The mish-mashing is annoying.

• Like 1

I too  liked the three former seasons with one city,  many auditions. Last week was a mish mash of different outfits, hair, sets, and auditions. I used to like seeing the big crowd sitting and waiting to sing for the judges too. 

I liked esp. the failing ones who auditioned because it gave wannabees a dose of reality... for Pete's sake, record yourself acapella  and listen to the tape! It was entertaining to watch the amateurs perform, moreso than the sob stories, which got tiresome with so many in one show. It is also very annoying to see the fake 😮 Or sad 😔 or silly 🤪 expressions on the judges. Their antics getting up from the table are not humorous either. 

• Like 1

This show is so calculated and staged, it is not longer fun to watch.  I miss all the bad singers they would show and make fun of.  Where's that good stuff.  

Instead, we get the prepicked contestants and get a sad sob story to go with it.  I really hate this part of the show.  And they got rid of Hollywood week.  That was the BEST part.  People having meltdowns, Divas turning up the Diva, crying and fighting constants.  Ah the good old days.  Am I right?  

Does anyone remember Scotty McCreary season?  He was in a group that kicked him out, can't remember why, but they did.  So, he had to find another group, which he finally did.  But what made it so much better is Scott WON.  

I will hate watch this show because my hubby loves it.  He is not near as cynical as I am.

• Like 4