Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: Split Second

• Start Topic

Atwater one of my favorite TV characters ever, I always love Kevin centric episodes. This show is always torturing my guy, always making him carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. But one of the things I love about him is also one of the things that worked against him in this episode and it's that he so genuinely cares. A lot of cops can compartmentalize and move on but that's not easy for Kevin. He wants everything and everyone to be alright and sometimes it's just not like that. On a happier not I am glad about how his relationship with his father has developed. Now if only he can have a steady woman in his life. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I have a lot of thoughts. 

No Black vs Blue! Hallelujah! 

Love Atwater's heart, but he should not have taken this one to heart. He really did the best he could. Honestly, this seemed like a Ruzek episode. Atwater is usually pretty comfortable in his work as an officer and detective. 

Loved his father diagnosing him lol. Their relationship has come a long way. 

Is it just me or has Ruzek/Atwater never been the same since that fight they had back in season 8? Mostly from Atwater tbh. He never lets anyone support him. I'm like when did he get so stubborn? 

Hate that I have to wait another five episodes for an Atwater centric. His are my fav. 

Edited by Nintra16
  • Like 2

One good thing about this episode - NO Upton. 👍🏻

This is a boring Kevin centric episode with mediocre writing. He deserves better. Why would the protective detail officers simply leave their post and risking their job? The store has bulletproof doors but not the windows? Kevin told Corey and Teresa to stay put but they didn’t listen. So STFU, Teresa.

I hope Kevin’s relationship with his father continues to grow in a positive way. Don’t ruin this, writers‼️

On 2/23/2024 at 3:27 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Kevin told Corey and Teresa to stay put but they didn’t listen. So STFU, Teresa.

Angst resolved... Atwater lost sympathy for them... deep down, he probably blames [rightly / wrongly] them for getting shot AND Store Owner getting killed...

I enjoyed the case for what it was. It was also a nice change that it wasn't the usual black v blue story that Eid dished up regularly. I also love that Gwen is allowing a little more of their personal stories to be shown. That's been a huge improvement.

This case also rang very true to Atwater's character. He did everything he could, he's not responsible for other peoples panicked choices but his personality didn't allow him to see that & he carried that burden & that effected his judgement when him and Ruzek were chasing the crims later in the episode. 

Funny how my first thought in that scene was ... if Eid was in charge he would've had Ruzek get shot just to dial the trauma up on Atwater only to ignore it a week later. ... so thankfully everyone survived unscathed.

However the myopic focus she has delivered this season isn't working. I know Eid bought in the centric but they were a little less myopic. You can still have centric foucsed episodes without them being so narrow. It turns people off watching. I'm certainly not going to sit through myopic episodes of felony barbie. I'd rather poke knitting needles in my eyes. (maybe the fact she wasn't in this episode made it infinitely better as well).

Anyway, While I feel like they are on the right path with the personal developments.... the glaring issue remains the Myopic focused epsiodes.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:27 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

The store has bulletproof doors but not the windows? Kevin told Corey and Teresa to stay put but they didn’t listen. So STFU, Teresa.

Yeah, I didn't see Teresa jumping back in through the window to help her husband after their bad choices.

• Like 1