Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: The Sound of Rusic

• Start Topic

(edited)

This week, RuPaul challenges our queens to participate in a fun, exciting, and fresh take on The Sound of Music! Except it's not, because this is essentially the SNL Dooneese Sound of Music skit with the funny stuff replaced with WoW's own IP. Still, there is pleasure to be found in the prancing and dancing. And Plasma makes the ultimate sacrifice by never, not once, name-dropping Julie Andrews! Okay, that doesn't happen, either.

Meanwhile, Plane tries out her fun, playful side before realizing she doesn't have one, and decides to make "bitch" her shtick. Stay true to yourself, Plane! Also: Production sends packing a queen they had zero interest in promoting, and telegraphs it from the start of the episode.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 5

I really enjoyed that rusical. There were some standouts, sure, but  I thought everyone did well. Plasma deserved the win (and that Dolly Levi look was gorge), but I wouldn't have been mad if Sapphira won, she made the most of a pretty small part.

Jane was really good too. A shame, I'd like her more if only she was less of a mean girl.

Poor Megami, sad sacks just don't make it far on Drag Race.

I have to say, Mhi'ya is really impressing me. I didn't expect much from her at the start, and she moves better in a lip synch than any other big girl I've ever seen, including Eureka. Although to be fair, Eureka's a lot taller and probably heavier, so she was pretty impressive too.

But Mhi'ya, you go girl.

• Like 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

Poor Megami, sad sacks just don't make it far on Drag Race.

On the plus side, Jughead can now get his hat back! I don't know how these queens are managing to source their wardrobe from cartoon characters, but colour me impressed.

I am sullen about the fact that I enjoyed Plane the most in the Rusical. Plasma's runway was amazing, but she gave the same speed and energy as Loosey in the S15 musical...and Loosey was punted to the bottom for it. What!

I am also going to draw attention to Ru's Main Stage Ouchfit, which was the worst thing she's worn in years. Years! That was the losing creation from the sewing challenge, right? Or did she lose a bet with LaLa? Or is it something that Spankie "gifted" her? I need answers!

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I am sullen about the fact that I enjoyed Plane the most in the Rusical.

I can't say I enjoyed her the most, but I was pleasantly surprised with the way she moved and her expressive face. She did great. I just can't root for someone who causes distress for fun, on-screen character or not.

• Like 7

Count me as another one who was shocked that Plasma won the episode.  I thought she was going to be "Loosey'd," especially since Sapphira was amazing in her role.  I'm glad they both did great.  

Sapphira's floral gown was a showstopper.

I am a big Nymphia Wind fan, but wasn't impressed with her runway this time.  

I'm interested to hear everyone's take on Q's look. I usually love her runways, but didn't care for this one.  Maybe I need to give it more time, or hear other opinions.

• Like 5

Q's look was OK, but it suffered in comparison. On the same night as this, I watched UK vs the World, and La Grande Dame did the insect look so much better than Q. Sorry girl.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Q's look was OK, but it suffered in comparison. On the same night as this, I watched UK vs the World, and La Grande Dame did the insect look so much better than Q. Sorry girl.

La Grande Dame is a superstar. I NEED France vs. The World.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I am sullen about the fact that I enjoyed Plane the most in the Rusical.

I thought I enjoyed Plane the most in the Rusical, I thought she was brilliant playing that role - but it turned out that was Q! So that was a relief.

Really enjoying Mhi'ya's lip syncs!

Am still recalling and enjoying Plasma's nod to Pygmalion/My Fair Lady in the runway package, 'How doo you doo?'

• Like 3

For me Sapphira and Plasma were top 2 but I would've given the win to Sapphira for snatching the spotlight from Plasma. For me everyone else was adequate in their roles.

I can't recall which judge mentioned Madeline Kahn in her role in Blazing Saddles wrt Q's performance but I thought the same thing too! I love Madeline in Blazing Saddles (and ALL her roles). 

Melissa McCarthy lobbing Baby Bel cheese at the queens as they're attempting to learn choreo was what must've been missing in my life because I still cackle when I picture it. And Morphine's talking head when she says (paraphrased) "give me your Baby Bel, I'll eat that cheese" was hilarious to me.

I almost stopped watching Untucked because the camera either stayed on Jane or quickly moved back to her for her reactions when someone else was speaking. I guess she will be top 3 or 4 for sure with all this camera time.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I felt this Rusical was a little more inequitable than previous years in terms of parts. If you weren't Plasma's, Saphira's or Plane's roles you barely had any role at all.  Maybe that was the point but really it would be difficult for any of the others to even be in top let alone win. And unless one of the big 3 totally screwed the pooch they would be top 3. 

On 2/17/2024 at 12:16 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

On the plus side, Jughead can now get his hat back! I don't know how these queens are managing to source their wardrobe from cartoon characters, but colour me impressed.

Megami isn't the only one to sport that hat. I've been watching previous seasons and it is an oddly popular hat. It's so ugly I don't know why so many love it. 

• Like 2

Megami's resting bitch face was bound to get her eliminated and I'm surprised it took this long. Srsly, did she ever smile, even once? Ever? (In watching her pack up and go sequence, she does laugh *twice*...so maybe I'm wrong...)

I too am sick of the camera focussing on Jane, as other queens are talking to OTHER queens. Your reactions aren't *that* interesting, hunny.

WHY did they have to lip sync the (horrible) dialogue? They had to learn all the lines so why not use their own goddam voices? Drove me crazy! 

The roles were completely unequal. Did the back-up nuns to Mother Superior have any lines at all? Xunami's role had nuthin too. I guess if you develop some kind of physical humor you could stand out, but otherwise... I know "there are no small roles," but you gotta give the small queens a chance.  

I like the lip sync song. I thought Megami completely misinterpreted it as a torch song but there is joy in the chorus and lyrics which she Did.Not.Get. Deserved her sashay away 110%

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Unpopular opinion: I'm over Rusicals.  I get that the Rusicals are pretty much auditions for Ru's Vegas show and the theater queens love them but they are getting too long for me.  They were never that funny or that clever and the performance overall is usually average or slightly above average.  I would much rather see another fashion challenge or improv challenge.

Though the one thing I did like about this Rusical was the reference to the "Break Up Bye Bye" song from Drag Race UK season 1.  That was fun.  Side note: was Q supposed to be in that number?  I could have sworn they showed Q practicing the number but she wasn't in it during the actual Rusical.

On 2/19/2024 at 7:43 AM, Red Bridey said:

The roles were completely unequal. Did the back-up nuns to Mother Superior have any lines at all? Xunami's role had nuthin too. I guess if you develop some kind of physical humor you could stand out, but otherwise... I know "there are no small roles," but you gotta give the small queens a chance.  

In the past, the smaller parts were actually better.  Really good queens were able to transform their smaller parts into over the top characters that made Ru laughed (thus landing them in the top).  Nowadays, the Rusicals are so long that the lead automatically lands in the top as long as they stay in character and don't fall flat on their face.

I actually thought Xumani did quite well.  She looked stunning as a Baroness clone and she had some good physical comedy bits when she was tangled up in Q's Baroness train.  I was watching Xumani more than Q or Plane in that trio.

On 2/19/2024 at 7:13 AM, joanne3482 said:

I felt this Rusical was a little more inequitable than previous years in terms of parts. If you weren't Plasma's, Saphira's or Plane's roles you barely had any role at all.  Maybe that was the point but really it would be difficult for any of the others to even be in top let alone win. And unless one of the big 3 totally screwed the pooch they would be top 3. 

And yet Megami landed in the bottom even though she was the "lead" of her trio.  It's true that several roles were more of background characters this Rusical but I think there was still enough room for the Queens to create their own character in an attempt to stand out.  I thought Xumani and Nymphia stood out as secondary characters even though they weren't in Ru's tops.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, zenithwit said:

Unpopular opinion: I'm over Rusicals.  

Popular response: you're not alone.

I would much rather see another... improv challenge.

Oh, we will.  We will. *shudder*

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 2/17/2024 at 1:16 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

I am also going to draw attention to Ru's Main Stage Ouchfit, which was the worst thing she's worn in years.

My husband and I both said that too. If a queen wore that on the stage, they would've been read for filth. It looked like a bad unconventional materials mess-up.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:47 PM, Starchild said:

I have to say, Mhi'ya is really impressing me.

I think she is amazing in lipsyncs but she just doesn't shine in the challenges or runway for me. So, I think her days are numbered but we will definitely see her as a lipsync assassin in the future.

I enjoyed the Rusical - it was fun. I do think Sapphira should have won - she really made the most of her stage time. 

• Like 1