Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Randy Couture: MMA Champion

• Start Topic

As a 6-time World Champion and Hall of Famer in the fastest growing sport in the world, Randy Couture is a true icon in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). In addition to his stellar standing in combat sports, Randy is also a successful businessman, best-selling author and action movie star. Randy’s growing career in acting includes the hit films “The Expendables” and “The Expendables 2,” opposite Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis, and he reprised his role as Toll Road in “The Expendables 3.” On the television front, as a part of his multi-year talent, development and production deal with Spike TV, Randy served as a coach on the first season of “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” in summer 2013 and Spike’s new reality show “Gym Rescue,” for which he also serves as an executive producer.

Born in Lynnwood, Washington in 1963, Randy served 6 years in the U.S. Army attaining the rank of Sergeant in the 101st Airborne. Having completed his service, Randy became a three-time Olympic team alternate (1988, 1992 and 1996), a semifinalist at the 2000 Olympic Trials, a three-time NCAA Division I All-American and a two-time NCAA Division I runner-up (1991 and 1992) at Oklahoma State University. By December of 1997, at the age of 33, Randy made his debut into the world of professional fighting claiming victory in the Heavyweight division of his first appearance in the UFC and soon earned the moniker “Randy ‘The Natural’ Couture.” Randy eventually moved down a weight class to the Light-Heavyweight division, where he would spend the remainder of his UFC career. Randy is, to this day, the first of only two UFC competitors to hold titles in both the Heavyweight and Light-Heavyweight divisions. In June of 2006, Randy became the 4th professional fighter to be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame and that same year also retired. In March of 2007, Randy came out of retirement at the age of 44 shocking the world by re-capturing the UFC Heavyweight belt and becoming the first man in UFC history to win the Heavyweight title a total of three times. “The Natural” retired once and for all at the age of 47 but continues to be a highly respected presence in combat sports. Randy also dedicates time to running his own chain of gyms, Xtreme Couture MMA, a thriving clothing line, Xtreme Couture MMA Clothing, a supplement company, Xtreme Couture Pharmaceuticals (XCAP), and giving back through his foundation, the Xtreme Couture GI Foundation dedicated to honoring the veterans of America’s Armed Forces. Randy currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada and is an avid outdoorsman with a passion for motorcycles, hunting and poetry.

Dancing with Karina Smirnoff.

Pleasantly surprised by Couture's performance tonight.  I don't really know who he is, but I think that he's charming and that he has made a good start in his partnership with Karina.  Hope he sticks around for awhile.  Maybe he'll get further than Chuck Liddell did in his season.

He could be a dark horse.

Did anyone else develop a little crush on him last night? Very handsome and very charming.

I did before he even started dancing because every time I saw him in the background when Erin was doing an interview, he was smiling and talking to the other contestants and looking as if he was having a great time just being there, and that goes a long way with me. I was like, "I don't know who that bald-headed guy is, but he seems fun."

• Love 2

I was really surprised but then I remembered this guy is a trained athlete in a sport that requires fast footwork and delicate timing.  So now he is on the floor and light on his feet and good timing.  Who would have thought?  I can't wait to see how this develops.

Smooth mover. Reminded me a little of Chris Jericho and Kurt Warner.

And Chris Jericho, I always felt, got the boot from the show too early. Hopefully that won't be Randy's fate as well. I enjoyed his foxtrot, but to be fair, the foxtrot is one of those just plain charming dances that can really come off well. Time will tell. I hope he continues to improve!

I was really surprised but then I remembered this guy is a trained athlete in a sport that requires fast footwork and delicate timing.  So now he is on the floor and light on his feet and good timing.  Who would have thought?  I can't wait to see how this develops.

True, but I was still surprised at how good he was, mainly because I remember Chuck Liddell's performances being really rough. Liddell was totally game and committed, just not a natural dancer. A person can be athletic and light on their feet, but if they can't count to music, the dancing can be painful to watch. I really, really hope Randy does well in Latin dances that require hip action, because he could easily be a finalist. Jive and paso should be great for him, but I'm curious about how he'll handle a cha-cha, rumba, or samba.

He was my favorite last night, partially for the surprise factor and partially because I never realized how hot he is. What a charming routine! I hope he goes far enough to do an Argentine tango. 

Edited by Scovies
  • Love 2

I agree that he was the surprise of the night. Generally the women are more coordinated than the men and often the guys who aren't completely uncoordinated are still kind of awkward, but he was so graceful.

ITA that being coordinated does not mean you will be a good dancer (as evidenced by many of the athletes we have seen on this show who were able to learn the choreography but still never looked like dancers). Having a dance background doesn't mean you will be a good ballroom dancer either so I'm always pleasantly surprised when athletes are elegant and light on their feet as Randy was.

Randy is adorable. His and Karina's Foxtrot was smooth, charming and sexy, much like Randy himself, which is something I never thought I would say, because I've never found him sexy before. I think that if he and Karina keep improving, he could make it to the Semi-Finals, at least.

• Love 1