Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Episode 9

• Start Topic

AAAABdDvBV24CSKbXw9JYTYcw9wzRai5Ihvp3msJ

1996. Dexter wants to impress his new girlfriend's parents, but the visit doesn't go according to plan. Over dinner, he gets a call from his agent.

Premiere Date: February 8, 2024    Netflix

It was such a relief to see Dex sober, and trying to stay that way. I was taken aback seeing Toby Stephens and Joely Richardson portraying Sylvie's parents. What a bizarre family.

• Like 2

Glad to see Emma did the right thing and ditched both Ian and Dexter. Although the second part won’t last, otherwise the show would be over. I assume we’re about to see her star rise as his continues to fall. 

That Moriarty game was insane. What kind of family beats each other over the head for sport? Apparently the poshest ones, once upon a time. I checked and this is an actual Victorian parlor game that was (is?) played by the wealthy elite, including members of the Royal Family.  According to an article in the Independent:

At a superficial level, the art of this game appears to be in the bluff and double-bluff involved in twisting your arm one way but moving the other, saying “Yes” and then moving before you can be hit, and so on. In practice, though, the game normally proceeds quite quickly to a deeper level in which one of the players secretly removes his blindfold and just hits his opponent repeatedly over the head. Proper etiquette in this situation dictates that none of the spectators should warn the victim as to what’s going on.

So weird. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 2/16/2024 at 2:46 AM, Jodithgrace said:

What a dreadful family! 

100%. Getting fired while staying with her awful family would test anyone's sobriety.

The actor playing Dexter is doing a good job of playing someone who's insecure. Having your agent tell you that people only like you ironically, or that they like to hate you, doesn't do any favours for someone who's insecure. Especially when you're getting fired at the time.

His latest nineties hairstyle is hideous. It reminds me a little of Dawson on Dawson's Creek.

Edited by Kirsty
  • Like 1
On 2/29/2024 at 3:36 PM, Kirsty said:

100%. Getting fired while staying with her awful family would test anyone's sobriety.

The actor playing Dexter is doing a good job of playing someone who's insecure. Having your agent tell you that people only like you ironically, or that they like to hate you, doesn't do any favours for someone who's insecure. Especially when you're getting fired at the time.

His latest nineties hairstyle is hideous. It reminds me a little of Dawson on Dawson's Creek.

I mean, the way they played that game would have sent me to the hills screaming. And the fact that Sophie doesn't recognize how awful her family is (except the twins) makes me question her character. She seems really nice but also very sheltered and entitled. 

• Like 1
On 4/2/2024 at 6:54 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve heard multiple positive comments about this but after four episodes, I’m not really feeling it, so to speak. I see the IMDb ratings go up in the later episodes, so I’ll probably stick with it, but it’ll definitely be a filler, not a binge. 

Bringing over my comment from a few episodes ago. So far it’s still making me cringe at every episode, but I’ve heard some very positive but non- spoilery things about the last episode or two, so I’m staying with it. Please tell me I won’t be disappointed…?