Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E12

• Start Topic

Recurring guest Shark and KIND Snacks founder Daniel Lubetzky returns to the Tank as entrepreneurs present vegan mushroom bacon, a mobile bartending class, healthy peanut butter for dogs and huggable plush toys that play custom songs for children.

(edited)

Season 15, episode 12, 26 January

Sharks-Guest Shark KIND Snacks founder Daniel Lubetzky, Mark, Daymond, Kevin, Lori

Shroomacon - vegan mushroom bacon. Marvin and Aleah, want $150,000 for 7 1/2%. Better for you bacon, it looks like, smells like and tastes like bacon.  Only 5 ingredients.  The sharks have slices, and BLTs. 

The 'bacon' is smoky and crispy, it can be cooked in an oven, pan, or air fryer.   A sliced King Oyster Mushroom is the 'bacon' .  Margins are good.  Marvin went vegan after being diagnosed with a heart condition, a year later his condition was gone.    They are full time with this.  $38,000 in 6 months, $86,000 2022, 2023 up to $200,000 in sales. 

Mark is out, conflict of interest. Daymond is out.  Daniel says Kevin's offer is fair.   Lori  is still undecided.    Kevin hates the valuation, but his deal is $150,000 for 33 1/3%, changed to $150,000 for 33 2/3%.   Lori bids $150,000 for 33 1/3%, but wants to go in with Kevin.   Sellers want $200,000 for 34% with Lori and Kevin. 

Lori and Kevin make the deal at $150,000 for 33 1/3%. 

BarBees Bartending -a mobile bartending class. Instructor shows up at your event, you supply the liquor and event space, and their bartender/instructor teaches the participants how to make cocktails.   $75,000 for 10%.  They launched in Nashville, they have 25 instructors now. Sales $38000 in 2020 online, $76,000 in 2021, 2022 in  $190,000, 2023 hoping for $400,000. They want to expand. They want to automate a booking platform, and standardize teaching new instructors. 

Mark is out. Daymond is out.   Kevin is out.    Daniel wants 20% for $75,000.  Lori says Daniel's offer is good, and she's out. 

Daniel makes the deal for 20% for $75,000. 

Jay’s Pet Butter- healthy peanut butter for dogs. Jay Cutler was a four time Mr. Olympia, and is known for his Yorkies.  He wants $50,000 for 10%.  Pet safe peanut butter for pets.   It's also human safe, and has supplements for joint health, no artificial sweetener.  Only one year in business. In some grocery stores, warhouse store.  $14.99 retail, costs $3.10 to make, great margins.  Sales to date $39,000 in 10 months.  They had delays in shipping.    No large scale competitors. 

Mark is out.  Lori is out, not a peanut lover.   Daniel is out.  Daymond is out.   Kevin sees it as a small area, but wants direct-to-consumer, $50,000, $1 a jar royalty in perpetuity. 

No deal.  I bet being on Shark Tank will boost their sales a lot. I don't think they need a Shark. 

Mama Sing My Song- a huggable plush toys that play custom songs for kids.  $125,000 for 10% equity.  They do custom songs for kids, and the stuffed animal that repeats the song.   Daymond's wife and daughter appear demonstrating the song, and her stuffed animal, Daymond was surprised.  The company does free animals and songs for foster kids.   How touching.  I'm guessing Daymond will be in on this one.   

Songs are customized, mostly by moms working for the company.  Customer fills out a questionaire about the child, company produces the song, and animal, and can do a recording studio song, plus the stuffed animals.   It's always a custom song.   They have $1.4 million in sales.   Half of the sales go to the artist. They have human artists, not AI.   

Mark is out. Kevin is out. Daniel wants to partner with Lori and Daymond.   Daymond wants the deal too, Lori proposes $125,000 for 33 1/3% for the Sharks. Then proposes, $150,000 for 33 1/3% with Lori, Daymond and Daniel. 

They make the deal for Lori, Daymond, and Daniel, for $150,000 and 33 1/3%.

Update: Hummviewer, Daniel made the deal for a hummingbird feeder helmet.   They had great sales, but lots of knockoffs.   They went to China to fix manufacturing issues.   They've made over $350k since the Shark Tank deal.  

Iconic Moment: Kisstixx and Las Vegas Wedding Wagon, both were when Barbara and Kevin kissed.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry, but the Hummviewer looks crazy. "It's an experience" alright.

Jay Cutler looks like he has two brain cells fighting for air time and both are losing. Dude couldn't comprehend a counter offer. Also? I eat store-brand peanut butter that is made with nothing but peanuts (no salt), and it's like $3.

Daymond's kid looked like she could not have been more bored.

My boyfriend and I both thought the song lady was the mother of the woman with the sheet of hair on her right and the dude on her left. I told my boyfriend that she met the hair chick "in college" when she was her professor. She Mary Kay Letourneaued the guy.

I'll see myself out.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Can't beileve people are paying 70$ for that piece of plastic.

The packaging for that PB jar needed some serious rebranding/better design. It looked so juvenile and poorly done.

• Like 1

I zoned out on the song thing.  Meh. 
The mushbacon seems like a good product. Good luck to them. 

The bartending party idea seems like it could be popular but how is that not a copyable business?  No surprise it’s popular with the bachelorette party sector. 

8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Jay Cutler looks like he has two brain cells fighting for air time and both are losing. Dude couldn't comprehend a counter offer. Also? I eat store-brand peanut butter that is made with nothing but peanuts (no salt), and it's like $3.

My boyfriend and I both thought the song lady was the mother of the woman with the sheet of hair on her right and the dude on her left. I told my boyfriend that she met the hair chick "in college" when she was her professor. She Mary Kay Letourneaued the guy.

I'll see myself out.

I thought the trio were mother, and her adult kids too.   When she announced that the man was her husband I was surprised. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Unknowingly having his wife and kid on the show during a pitch was totally manipulative and exploitive. Even if Minka had shown even an iota of interest in being there, it never should have happened. Shame on her mother for allowing it. Shame on the presenters for whatever coercion they used to make it happen.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Update: Hummviewer, Daniel made the deal for a hummingbird feeder helmet.   They had great sales, but lots of knockoffs.   They went to China to fix manufacturing issues.   They've made over $350k since the Shark Tank deal.  

9 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

Can't beileve people are paying 70$ for that piece of plastic.

They've sold all of 5000 units and never disclosed how much money they had to spend diffusing all the problems with it.

I'm betting that they're bleeding money right and left, and the update was intended to try to generate more interest in the product just to get themselves out of debt.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The dogs didn't seem all that enthusiastic about it either. I would have liked to see a side by side comparison to see if the dogs preferred real peanut butter to his stuff. I've also never heard of any doggie health issues from peanut butter unless they're obese from having been overfed in which case I doubt peanut butter would be the only culprit. His label says the serving size for dogs over 25lbs is only 1 tablespoon. I don't see how giving your dog regular peanut butter in 1 tablespoon servings could be causing them serious health issues.

He's sold only 2600 units thus far. Considering he has 4 SKUs (one of which includes bacon--how can that be healthy?), that really isn't very impressive. I guess all his dogs' followers on Instagram aren't showing much interest. I can't see anyone spending that much money intending it to be for human consumption; however, for people who are convinced it is healthier for their dogs, I can imagine there are people who are that daft even if it meant making a special trip to the pet store to get it.

It appears even his followers don't see the appeal:

https://meaww.com/why-did-jay-cutler-appear-on-shark-tank-bodybuilding-icon-accused-of-using-abc-show-as-viewers-critique-pet-butter-priced-at-14-99

Pet food thing doesn't add up.  Had 16 million viewers and sold so little?  I could tell when the guy gave no specific numbers and kept going on about positive lauches and potential buyers they had no sales. and it's one product for him out of dozens he probably has not a focus

That song was awful and I agree the girl, like me, looked bored and wondered 'when will this be over!"   The AI idea is good not because of costs but time and also the chance for different genres of music. If you don't want easy listening yacht rock cheesiness AI can wrote something else. Plus you could do different versions and let the customer choose

Mushroom bscon...

Pass

Mixed drink lessons.....Pass.  they actually might be better as a franchise deal than trying to personally run many different individual companies in different cities which will become unmanageable at a certain critical value. 

• Like 1

The problem with regular peanut butter is that some now use types of artificial sugars that are deadly to dogs.  The solution. as someone said upthread, just read the ingredients.  Much cheaper than buying what this guy is selling.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I was creeped out by the song writing thing and pulling Daymond’s kid into it. I didn’t find it sweet, it seemed intrusive. 

I don’t drink so no opinion on the drunk bachelorette party thing. 

There are a million peanut butters out there that meet the ingredient needs for pets. For not much cash.

• Like 4

As someone who studiously avoids nasty artificial sweeteners, I won't always know by reading the ingredients whether a product has the vile sorbitol or xylitol or aspartame or stevia because gum, at least, is allowed to lump those together under "natural and artificial flavors" or something like that. Believe me, I tried and tried to find chewing gum that had plain old sugar and the only option was Fruit Stripe. Sorry, Yipes, but I needed something that was going to last me out in right field...anyway....

So I see the market for wanting to feed a dog precisely curated ingredients that aren't hidden, but meathead dude, I'm going to hope you've reviewed your list of supplements with a veterinary nutritionist because I'm thinking that human supplements may not necessarily be a carefree addition to a pet food. And the amounts may be different, too. 

And the poor dog kept licking its lips. That peanut butter must be some kind of (Anne Burrell voice) dry -y-y-y-y. Blech.

Don't think Daymond really had a hard time not crying and his daughter looked irritated AF at having to sit there while the entire cheesy song played. #notaparent, but I make up songs for our cats all the time (there's a dinner song, a time for bed song, a it's really OK to go to the vet song....) and the fact that I make them up makes them special. I'm not going to farm that out to some schmooopy lady and double that sentiment for a kid. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

I make up songs for our cats all the time (there's a dinner song, a time for bed song, a it's really OK to go to the vet song....) 

Are you willing to post the lyrics? I'd love to hear more.