Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Chapter 2: Sordid

• Start Topic

So, Imogene mom worked as a secretary to the Colliers. She was killed in a car bomb as a warning to them by an international syndicate as part of their corporate blackmailing scheme. The wealthy Colliers raised Imogene (out of guilt?) and she’s been stealing from them (according to Rufus). Got it. 🙄

I have high hopes for this series as an alternative to The White Lotus. After 2 episodes, am exhausted and disappointed. Am OUT! 👋🏻 

(edited)
On 1/16/2024 at 5:37 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

I have high hopes for this series as an alternative to The White Lotus. After 2 episodes, am exhausted and disappointed. Am OUT! 👋🏻 

I'm still in because of Mandy Patinkin.
But it does seem like a White Lotus knock off, also reminiscent of Rian Johnson's Glass Onion and Knives Out.

I "watched" these first 2 episodes on my phone while working on an art project.
I started watching on a large TV, but Violett Beane delivered one too many wooden lines for me to spend that much time focused on just. the show. 
Beane was positively luminescent a few years ago as a brunette in God Friended Me — which might be how she was deemed worthy of being cast opposite Patinkin — but she just seems uneven here.

Jack Cutmore-Scott (who also plays Frasier's son in the reboot) seems to be playing a character volatile enough to be a suspect.

Anyhoo. I'll watch at least one more episode. I see Jack Cutmore-Scott was in Oppenheimer too, but I haven't seen it yet.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
On 1/16/2024 at 9:54 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm still in because of Mandy Patinkin.
But it does seem like a White Lotus knock off, also reminiscent of Rian Johnson's Glass Onion and Knives Out.

I'm enjoying it so far. No, the characters aren't as compelling as the characters in White Locus or Rian Johnson films or TV, but the mystery is intriguing. 

It's sad what happened to Danny. He was actually a good guy. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I’m enjoying it, too. I tuned in mostly for Rahul Kohli, on whom I had an inappropriate crush during iZombie, but the investigation is holding my interest.

Edited by Babalu06
  • Like 4
13 hours ago, Babalu06 said:

I’m enjoying it, too. I tuned it mostly for Rahul Kohl’s, on whom I had an inappropriate crush during iZombie, but the investigation is holding my interest.

Rahul-- so much yes. He was very cute (but kind of a jerk) on The Fall of the House of Usher.

I really enjoy it so far. I like that it has a touch of vintage, like the ship, the decorations even the clothes.
The cast is just fine and I quite like Patinkin in this one (he usually annoys me).

I find no similarities with the White Lotus, a show that I despised. 

• Like 1

I do like a good "who done it" and trying to figure out who I think the killer is and why and then to see if I am right.   I don't have any guesses yet, but some characters are definitely in the running.   

Would I be watching this without Mandy Patinkin?  It probably wouldn't make the cut, so far I am enjoying the mystery adventure.  

• Like 4

I'm enjoying this well enough. It's pretty and Mandy Patinkin can get me to watch nearly anything.  Also, I liked the introduction of the Interpol agent. I'm looking forward to her. 

On 1/18/2024 at 6:20 PM, Babalu06 said:

I’m enjoying it, too. I tuned in mostly for Rahul Kohli, on whom I had an inappropriate crush during iZombie, but the investigation is holding my interest.

Wait, there are inappropriate crushes on Rahul Kohli? Never mind I don't want to understand. 

I didn't realized he was in this and became unreasonably happy when I saw his face, as I pretty much always do. He's another reason I will continue to watch. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Count me in as those who have a crush on Rahul Kohli!  And I'm really liking his character in this. 

I understand the comparisons to White Lotus and Knives Out.  I didn't get all the hype White Lotus got, I thought it was OK, but the last season was a mess with a lot of loose plot threads and plot holes.  I think it's the pretty, rich people in expensive exotic location, with a mystery involved that is tying those two together.  I personally think this has more of a Knives Out feel to it, from a plot/character standpoint. 

I am with those on the criticisms of Imogene as being quite wooden.  But it seems to be an acting choice, not bad acting.  I'm liking the slow reveal of the CEO's wife and her issues, and now I feel a bit bad for calling her kooky last thread. 

I am enjoying this, but at the same time I find myself constantly rewinding scenes because I'm not catching the dialog.  Sometimes it's because I'm not fully engaged, other times it's because they throw something new in and I'm like "what? huh?". 

I am really enjoying the ship as a character.  The Collier's suite that everyone was in at the end is fantastic!  I also like that there are flashbacks, so we're not stuck on the ship 100% of the time.

• Like 2
On 1/16/2024 at 5:37 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

The wealthy Colliers raised Imogene (out of guilt?) and she’s been stealing from them (according to Rufus).

Completely missed the "stealing from them" part. I'm guessing then that is how he got her to help him with the investigation?

Just finished episode 2.  I am enjoying this show so far.  I love the cruise ship setting.  Just to clarify, this is a huge ship, right?  But the only guests we see onscreen and the only ones we are concerned about are the Colliers and their invited VIPs (the Chun family, the Washington governor, the priest and his son).

On 1/25/2024 at 8:43 AM, chaifan said:

I understand the comparisons to White Lotus and Knives Out.  I didn't get all the hype White Lotus got, I thought it was OK, but the last season was a mess with a lot of loose plot threads and plot holes.  I think it's the pretty, rich people in expensive exotic location, with a mystery involved that is tying those two together.  I personally think this has more of a Knives Out feel to it, from a plot/character standpoint. 

I think the comparisons are apt.  Particularly "The White Lotus".  This show seems to be trying very hard to rip off TWL, with its cast of intriguing but flawed and secretive characters.  I especially find the opening credits and the theme music to be very White Lotus-like.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Just to clarify, this is a huge ship, right?  But the only guests we see onscreen and the only ones we are concerned about are the Colliers and their invited VIPs (the Chun family, the Washington governor, the priest and his son).

I think the Colliers/Chuns have booked the entire ship for themselves.  There are a lot of people because everyone has an entourage, assistants, employees, etc.  But I've always assumed that everyone on the ship is connected to these families.  I really don't understand why the governor and priest are there at all, except it's some sort of junket/perq for being loyal to the family.

I could be completely wrong on this, but that's the way I've been looking at it.

• Like 1