Type keyword(s) to search

29th Critics Choice Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

‘The Morning Show’ & ‘Succession’ Lead Critics Choice Awards TV Nominations
By Erik Pedersen   December 5, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/12/critics-choice-awards-2023-tv-nominations-list-1235652591/ 

The hardware will be handed out during Critics Choice Awards gala on Sunday, January 14. Chelsea Handler will host the ceremony that airs live from 7-10 p.m. in the East on The CW and delayed in the West. The group’s film nominations will be revealed on December 13.

The Critics Choice Is ‘Barbie’ With 18 CCA Nominations; ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘Poor Things’ Follow With 13 Each
By Pete Hammond    December 13, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/12/critics-choice-film-nominations-2023-1235665954/ 

The 29th annual Critics Choice Awards will air live Sunday January 14, 2024 on The CW from 7-10 pm ET (delayed PT, check local listings). Chelsea Handler will return for the second consecutive year as host for the awards which are bestowed annually to honor the finest in cinematic and television achievement. As previously announced, The Morning Show leads the television contenders with six nominations including Best Drama Series. The Critics Choice Awards show will be executive-produced by Bob Bain Productions and Berlin Entertainment.

Edited by tv echo

Will Harrison Ford show up to get this Award?  I didn't think he liked getting those type of Awards. I remember he seemed annoyed at the Globes back when he got the Cecil B. DeMille Award.

I don’t think there’s any direct streaming to this in UK/Ireland so will be giving it a miss. I don’t think E! are covering the red carpet and don’t know if I can put myself through another abysmal attempt from Marc Malkin on Variety.

I've been searching around for Red Carpet coverage of tonight's awards and it would seem that the only option is through local Los Angeles station KTLA. Here's a link for how to watch, for anyone interested. I have a Roku TV, and I downloaded the KTLA+ app.

Watch the Critics Choice Awards red carpet special live on Sunday

How To Watch

Live from the Critics Choice Awards airs on L.A.’s Very Own KTLA 5 over-the-air and cable.

If you don’t have an antenna, cable, or satellite service, you can still watch the red carpet event for free through KTLA 5’s streaming app, KTLA+, and on KTLA.com.

KTLA+ can be installed on all Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV devices, and select Samsung Smart TVs. You can also stream KTLA 5 24/7 on YouTube TV.

The Critics Choice Awards will be broadcast nationwide on KTLA 5 and The CW from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. Pacific/7 p.m. – 10 p.m. Eastern. It will not be available as a live stream on KTLA+ or KTLA.com.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t think there’s any direct streaming to this in UK/Ireland so will be giving it a miss. I don’t think E! are covering the red carpet and don’t know if I can put myself through another abysmal attempt from Marc Malkin on Variety.

The CW is airing a red carpet special an hour before the show. I'll just watch it that way.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Evidently, some categories are being awarded on the Red Carpet prior to the main awards. In the category of Best Young Actor/Actress, Dominic Cessa received the award for his performance in The Holdovers. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I got hold of the KTLA stream via YouTube. The two hosts are fantastic compared to the hot mess that was variety last week but that Kiefer Sutherland/Jon Cryer interview was awkward.

• Like 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I got hold of the KTLA stream via YouTube. The two hosts are fantastic compared to the hot mess that was variety last week but that Kiefer Sutherland/Jon Cryer interview was awkward.

Is this the same?

https://ktla.com/entertainment/watch-the-critics-choice-awards-red-carpet-live-on-sunday/

There's a Live stream on the page that you can enlarge.

It's got commercials.

Never mind.
Here we go:

Edited by shapeshifter
On 1/11/2024 at 3:04 PM, ShadowHunter said:

Will Harrison Ford show up to get this Award?  I didn't think he liked getting those type of Awards. I remember he seemed annoyed at the Globes back when he got the Cecil B. DeMille Award.

He's on the Red Carpet.

The male host of the ktla red carpet is shaking hands with all the celebs while the female host has her arms crossed and clearly doesn’t want to. It’s kind of awkward. 

11 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

The male host of the ktla red carpet is shaking hands with all the celebs while the female host has her arms crossed and clearly doesn’t want to. It’s kind of awkward. 

She's not good at all, yet nowhere near as bad as last week's Golden Globes Red Carpet disaster. Sam is excellent, though.

Best Movie Made For Television is awarded to Quiz Lady.

I don't know how I feel about them giving out some of the Awards on the red carpet. We have alot of categories so it helps moves things along and gives them a moment. Still some don't bother with the red carpet and have no idea awards are being given out. Giving a speech while others are talking about what they are wearing is something lol.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

She's not good at all, yet nowhere near as bad as last week's Golden Globes Red Carpet disaster. Sam is excellent, though.

I don’t get why she’s there. The male presenter Sam clearly doesn’t need her there and her questions seem kind of dumb in comparison.

It’s stupid but the handshake thing is really annoying me. They should have discussed if they were going to have different approaches in advance as it just comes off weird almost hostile when he does it, the celeb turns to her and her arms stay crossed. 

Dominic Sessa was so wonderful, so natural, in "The Holdovers," so important to practically all of the decisions made by (his teacher) Paul Giamatti, including THE most significant  one, that he should have received his award more publicly. 

I missed it, but for a mention in the interview with Da'Vine. 

• Like 1
(edited)

The interview with Bradley Cooper was kind of a revelation. 
When asked how he did simultaneous acting and directing, he answered with a smooth bit about how it was easier because he didn't need to ask for permission to change anything and it helped to be the writer too. It could have come off as if he was full of himself, but instead he just seemed kind of awesome. Sort of like: Who is this guy?

So I looked on Wikipedia and realized he is just very complex.

++++++++++

Finally, with Chelsea Handler we have an emcee that works. 

++++++++++

Like Bradley Cooper, Robert Downey Jr. is a role model for finding your way back and reaching your potential.
Good acceptance speech too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

That salad I keep seeing on the tables look sad lol. I think it's salad. 

They said on the red carpet there was no food at this show. Must be why it's sad.

America Ferrera gave a good speech.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, UniqBlue69 said:

I love The Bear but it's not a comedy.

I love the show as well and wonder why CCA, GG, and the Emmys consider it a comedy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I love the show as well and wonder why CCA, GG, and the Emmys consider it a comedy.

Screenrant says it's because of its "strong blend of dramatic and lighthearted moments." I, otoh, have a theory that if the runtime of a thing is generally in the 30-minute range, it's considered a comedy.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

For the same reason the original screenplay of "Barbie" was moved to "Best Adaptation":

To ensure a win. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Harrison Ford's body of work is unmatched. He is underrated as an actor, yet the greatest movie star of the last half century. A well-deserved honor. 👏

27 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Two-time Oscar Winner Tom Hanks and his filmography might disagree! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tom_Hanks_filmography_and_performances

Good to honor Harrison Ford now while he can still physically accept it. 
I know it's not official, but I watched my parents' physical abilities fail, and now I am starting to deal with it too, so I can't help relating to Harrison Ford's speaking, gait, and posture changes. It's both heartwarming and heartbreaking to see Calista's enduring love for him.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Succession, which I also don't consider a comedy and like (but has more ridiculous moments than The Bear), is literally called a dark comedy by its creators. Yet, never placed (as it shouldn't be) in that category.

• Like 1

I think having Season 1 of The Bear  labeled a comedy was fine, but Season 2 was almost like a completely different show and should have been recategorized. It's also a very odd situation that last week's Golden Globes and tonight's Critics Choice Awards are for Season 2, but tomorrow night's Emmys are for S1 of The Bear.

Beef was a fantastic show. I'm glad it's having a big night.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I think having Season 1 of The Bear  labeled a comedy was fine, but Season 2 was almost like a completely different show and should have been recategorized. It's also a very odd situation that last week's Golden Globes and tonight's Critics Choice Awards are for Season 2, but tomorrow night's Emmys are for S1 of The Bear.

Beef was a fantastic show. I'm glad it's having a big night.

Thanks to the strike the Emmys tomorrow will definitely feel different with many shows from 2022 still being nominated.

Damn Emma Stone. Congrats I actually thought Lily was going to take it.  

• Like 2

I realize that the Best Actress Oscar will be deservingly won by either Emma or Lily, but I do hope that Carey Mulligan will win an Oscar before she's Glenn Close's age. She's a wonderful actress and she gave a brilliant performance in Maestro. 

• Like 3