Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk-I’m going out to the alley for a smoke

• Start Topic

I found the first few episodes of this season (3) giving me stress. They were fighting, getting crazy in the kitchen and I had to take a break. Carm still isn’t smoking, but maybe he should (please don’t beat me up for that comment folks. I know that smoking is very bad for you and do not condone it) He’d at least get a few minutes away from the food and kitchen. 

(edited)

1.  So stressful, you're not wrong @Mindthinkr.  Rather than ciggies I would say therapy and anti-anxiety medication!  
2.  For some reason my banner ads to the side are for private plane travel??? Have they met me??
3.  I did make a decent omelette for lunch today, but it was over browned and not as floofy as Syd's.  Also I did not own potato chips at the time (now I do)!

Edited by Daisychain
  • Like 1
(edited)

JAW's face resembles a young Barry Manilow except for the different hair. Mind you this is not a bad thing, plenty of gals I went to school with were gaga over BM. I dug his music.

bm.jpg

Edited by Colorado David
added pic
  • LOL 1

Have we sussed out why Carmy only has the S-O-U letters tattooed on his fingers and doesn't have the other S on his pinky?  

Is that something discussed in a previous season, or comes up past the 5th episode of S3?

(I just jumped into the threads on S3E5)

• Like 2
On 6/29/2024 at 10:35 AM, SnapHappy said:

Have we sussed out why Carmy only has the S-O-U letters tattooed on his fingers and doesn't have the other S on his pinky?  

I read somewhere that SOU stands for "Sense of Urgency" but not positive that is true...

• Like 1
(edited)

True or not in this instance, It works as well as anything else.  

The only thing that makes no sense is why the letters are inked facing AWAY from him, rather towards him.  If it was S on his ring finger, O on the middle and U on the index finger, he'd see those letters constantly, in the order that would make "Sense of Urgency" an actual reminder while he's holding up his hand and doing all his chefy things. 

But that's an issue I have with a lot of people's ink.  If you can't see it, just how inspirational is it really to you?  Yes, you just know it's there, that's fine.  I know it's not for me to judge.....

Edited by SnapHappy

If it IS 'sense of urgency', maybe it's supposed to be directed at others.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen finger tattoos (like 'love' 'hate') that are not inked for others to see.

• Like 1
(edited)

mebbe just me...i'd love to see a drop in from a famous chef, i am not picky, and it doesn't need to be a chicago area chef. who would u like to see? not a glam chef a la ramsay, more a like rupert or Rocco, and not called out as famous, just as someone who came and got a sammich and gave insight in a quickie cameo.  like they did in the last episode.  more of that stuff. 

Edited by Colorado David
  • Like 1

Bringing over the music discussion from the S3 E10 thread into the Small Talk thread:

I'm old (late Baby Boomer, sometimes referred to as Generation Jones), and my Millennial "kids" are 34 and 31.  I am often amazed at the range of music they are familiar with, both by release date and by genre.

First, and probably foremost, ALL the music that has ever been recorded is, quite literally, instantly available at the touch of a screen. Also, songs that one hears anytime, anywhere are identifiable by artist and title, at the touch of a screen. (When I see those challenges that say, "You can only keep three apps. What would they be? My list usually starts with Shazam!)

Second, exposure to various songs, both new and old, now comes through advertising. This was NOT a thing in the '60s and '70s! Back then, any artist who allowed their music to be used to sell products was considered a sell-out to the corporations, and took a hit on sales of their recordings. Now? Sometimes you hear a song, or even a new artist, through advertising before you hear them anywhere else. Older songs from previous decades are frequently used in ads online/on apps. (I'm pretty sure that "Laid" by James, heard in S3, was actually used in an ad for something, several years ago.)

Another source: Video games. I remember when my now-31 year old was about 10, he became a huge fan of The Offspring. Why? Crazy Taxi! And that's an old example. Now, in-game radio stations (GTA, Fallout, for example) are a thing, and the variety of music they include is wide, and often by the original artists.

Movies and TV series are more sources for popular music, both cutting-edge and decades-old, sometimes in the same film or series. This was definitely not the case in the past. The first time I remember having actual songs from the original artist being used in a TV series was Miami Vice in the mid '80s. Histirically, no producers wanted to spend the kind of money needed to get the rights to the music.

Also, and this is just my opinion, the musical generation gap between parents and their children and even between grandparents and their grandchildren, isn't as wide a chasm as it once was. Rock music began to take over the airwaves from crooners and big bands in the mid-1950s. Even most older people today grew up with music that is still palatable to Millennials and Gen Z, making those generations at least aware of the music of earlier decades.

TL, DR: I don't have any issues with songs from the '90s or before being used in The Bear's soundtrack. People, both old and young, have knowledge of a wide variety of music, even if it was released before they were born.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Elwood’s tattoo is facing the reader! 😆 But I’m guessing he doesn’t need to read it as a reminder of who he is 😉

IMG_3094.jpeg

Edited by chitowngirl

Kids also grow up hearing what their parents are listening to. I know in my house, as a kid, especially when very young, my mother's music played in the house and my music was only in my own room. 

It wasn't always the case that people lived their lives on personal devices. In the past, everything was on speakers in the atmosphere, not headphones or small speakers in the hand.

And when you are very small, your parents curate everything.

• Like 1

My parents strongly disliked noise. Any noise. They only had 2 records. One was the Peer Gynt Suite and I forgot what the other was. Maybe Glen Miller. It was a culture shock to go to a friend’s house and hear music. 

• Sad 2
On 7/21/2024 at 2:38 PM, chitowngirl said:

Elwood’s tattoo is facing the reader! 😆 But I’m guessing he doesn’t need to read it as a reminder of who he is 😉

IMG_3094.jpeg

I don't know what knuckle tattoo etiquette is, but for rings the rule is, if it has a direction, then it is worn facing away from the wearer.  That way, if someone is looking at your ring, as you offer your hand, they are seeing it the "right" way. 

A little useless trivia for your afternoon. 

• Like 1

I’m also generation Jones- great take- but I also teach high school and I can say for sure that music knowledge  is not true for all teens. Like literally last year I had teens who didn’t know who the Beatles were. I used to have some hang out in my classroom at lunchtime, and the rule was that I got to pick the music on the SmartBoard. But sometimes I’d allow them to make a choice too and once in a while, some kid would pick an eagle song or something. But yeah, the day that they didn’t recognize the Beatles was a kind of sad day for me. But the Beatles is a case of point I mean the Beatles broke up when I was three? 

I’m not complaining really I’m just curious. It seems like almost all the music is from the 90s or earlier.

not true for all teens. Like literally last year I had teens who didn’t know who the Beatles were.

Also, I definitely grow up learning some songs because they were used in commercials or they became familiar to me from those snippets on the Krono commercials. Remember those? For albums with the best of the 50s and 60s and things like that?

• Sad 2
On 7/24/2024 at 9:32 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Sad to me that the kids don’t easily recognize the Beatles. I would have thought they’d stand the test of time. 

Back in the day, you would be exposed to many types of music, songs , and artists because radio stations had broader playlists. Now, if one listens to the radio at all, playlists are much narrower and focused. If one streams music, suggestions are going to come from whatever you are already listening to. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have two Gen Z kids and their taste is varied and eclectic - having any genre or song at your fingertips allows that. They have been exposed to different types of music through my husband and me, tv, movies, and video games. And that doesn't include youtube, tik tok, and spotify. 

My son routinely picks the 80's, 90's, Pop Rock (90's-2000's rock) or Y2K on the Sirius channels when we are in my car. He was singing to an All American Rejects song yesterday in my car which was released in 2005 - four years before he was born. I asked why he liked such old music (to him) and he said new music sucks. Him listening to that would have been like me listening to music from the 1950's (I was born in 1972) as which sounded nothing like "my music" from the 1980's or later. But now there's not as big of a difference from the music from the 1990's to today. 

• Like 2

Another late Boomer/Generation Jones-er here. Even back in my youth it was possible to be exposed to many genres of music from many eras although I realize it was not as easily done. I was fortunate to live in NYC with musical parents who had extensive record collections and listened to many eclectic and specialty radio stations of which there were many available. I was familiar with music from the '20s, '30s, '40s, '50s and above and international, classical and jazz genres as well. So I think one's exposure can depend on one's family and what they introduce you to, whether or not you had the internet growing up. Even with the internet people can remain in little cultural "pods" out of which they rarely emerge to discover different styles and eras of music. It always amazes me how there is more information available than ever at anyone's fingertips thanks to the internet but there are still many people that don't even bother to discover it.

That said, even though I loved the music from the '30s to the '50s I never expected it to have broad appeal because even I saw it as a product of its time and not relevant to me in the way current modern music was starting around the 1960s or so. So I never would have expected to see it reprised and put on commercials and the like. To people from my generation that stuff was "old fart" "fuddy duddy", LOL. My theory about that is that starting in the 1960s and '70s there was an incredible cultural revolution and consciousness shift that took place which made older styles of music not as relevant for younger people. The fact '70s music and even fashions are still relevant today to the point of being featured in commercials and loved by younger people amazes me in some ways but it is really no surprise. Our collective consciousness still finds those things relevant even 50 years in the future. That time was seminal in many ways and has stood the test of time. I am sure that some time in the future yet another huge cultural shift will take place that will make that stuff look as "fuddy duddy" as '30s music looked to us in the '70s, but it hasn't happened just yet.

Interestingly I just had this driven home for me on a cruise I went on this month where a band was playing on the lido deck all sorts of hits from the '60s through the '90s. The young people were LOVING it. Then at night I saw a show with 20 somethings singing and dancing to similar hits and inviting everyone to sing along. And it wasn't just us older people singing along! The young people LOVE the music from my youth, that's for sure. Of course I think it's because it is just great music, which it is, but it's also because it still is relevant to their experience even 40 or 50 years later.

• Like 2