Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: In Terms of Winning and Losing

AntFTW
  • Start Topic

On 12/24/2023 at 12:45 PM, magdalene said:

Wasn't his former lover an older than him widow?  Gentlemen had affairs with widows and married ladies quite commonly and as long as both parties were discreet this was accepted by society and wouldn't ruin anybody involved.

The location makes the difference too - the hotel was a big no-no for a young lady who is presumed to be a virgin to be meeting and kissing a man there. Raikes really put Marian on the spot there.

Larry has been established as a rather nice young gentleman who I doubt is in the habit of seducing virgins like some romance novel rake. No, they were both carried away and like every one here in this forum I think they are headed towards marriage.

I believe at one point Larry's lover mentioned to him "sowing wild oats". She was more realistic about their chances for marriage although she let herself get carried away by love/emotion.

Wealthy young men of that era had "affairs" before marriage and it was accepted as part of their life before settling down to marriage. Their brides of course had to be virgins. Again, read Wharton's "Age of Innocence" for examples.

• Like 1
(edited)

Nothing groundbreaking or too surprising, but I thought this was a pretty fun episode with nice payoffs and resolutions to some annoying threads like Dashiell's engagement to Marian and Peggy's tension with her editor.

I was hoping to see an exterior of the Metropolitan.  I expected it when the Duke showed up.  Was it such a big deal for the Duke to be at the opening?  I thought it would have been enough with Bertha securing that top opera singer who everyone wanted to see.  

I sort of liked Marian and Larry from the start of the series.  But I was hoping there would have been a little more lead-up for this.  Neither had shown an inkling of romantic interest in one another.  The kiss was just so awkward.  I was a little icked out by Larry's bedroom activities earlier this season.

Ada's sudden wealth at the end was ridiculous but the scene was funny, and I do want to see more.  It totally made her transient husband even more of a plot device than he seemed already.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 3
On 5/5/2024 at 12:03 AM, Camera One said:

I was hoping to see an exterior of the Metropolitan.  I expected it when the Duke showed up.  Was it such a big deal for the Duke to be at the opening? 

Yes. The approval of and association with actual titled European/British nobility was incredibly important for the upper class in the Gilded Age. 

• Like 1