Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: British TV Writers Go To Hollywood

Season 3 concludes with Matt learning that NBC expects him to audition for the lead in a new drama pilot. Meanwhile, Beverly struggles to keep Sean on course and return to London when interest in The Opposite Of Us intensifies.

One thing I found interesting was that the finale was a super-explicit critique of the TV industry. That's always been a part of the show but the meta-vision was cranked up to eleven, especially when Bev points out the bidding war and says that that's as good as it gets. 

• Love 1

To a point. I find the broadcast networks to be bereft of creativity, but HBO, Shotime, even FX and AMC give their TPTBs a lot of room in developing a show.

If Bev and Shawn's script is really that good, she's right; they'd be idiots to get back with the broadcast networks. 

I hadn't thought of the cable option. It is interesting that cable networks haven't been mentioned at all. 

A good story-line for season 4 might be Carol moving to a  new cable network and trying to turn Bev & Sean's

script into a flagship series. I can just picture her yelping/shrieking about The Sum of Us being the new Mad Men!

• Love 1

That's the problem. If they go to a cable outlet, Carol *needs* to be involved somehow, but it has to be done in a way that's not contrived. She realistically could be studio head again and just let Sean and Bev develop their new show without interference. Unless Carol becomes and EP and they shop the show around to cable outlets instead. I can't seem Bev wanting to get into that mess.  

But for the time being, Pucks is commissioned for 6 more episodes, so they'll have to produce them. I'd like if they just did whatever they wanted for the episodes because they don't think they will air, but they turn out to be actually good. 

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first three seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I think it was the penultimate episode where Carol and Eileen were both on the phone fighting for the show, and I've never laughed so much watching a TV show during that sequence. Carol is flat-out sublime: "You want rain??? We have machines for that!!!"

• Love 1

Well, I've just finihed binge watching the four seasons in as many days (weekend and sinusitis explaining), and it's been a treat, and NOW I finally get the angst at waiting for the next season.

This show is so frigging good! The weird thing is I only heard of it during the noms, when both Lisa Kudrow and Matt LeBlanc were nominated for their respective shows. I've since watched both seasons of the Comeback and now all seaaons of Episodes, which I enjoyed overall more because it's a lighter satire on the industry and has a broader (and excellent cast).

Most of what I like has been mentioned in episodes threads, so I won't repeat it (great characters: Carole, Myra ? !, the pregnancy treatment, etc.). What I haven't seen mentioned in the great continuity topic: in one of the earlier seasons, when Sean and Bev are having a long winded argument, Matt is very impressed, saying "that's how you fight? here it's 'fuck you!', 'no, fuck YOU!' ", which indeed we got a number of times since in arguments involving Matt (many seasons later, hence my continuity remark).

I love, love, love the characters of Carol, Myra (? grunting lady, head of comedy, haha!), Button (forgot his first name), Morning and how she gets older by the day (next season she'll probably be outed as a school buddy of Betty White :-) ) and so many others. The former PA (Andrew) is love-to-hate for me, the new agent is excellent, Merck is good in small doses, although I floled the fake congeniality/hidden antagonism between him and Matt at lunch and then during the taping of the TV show.

So now I'll be patiently waiting for next year or whenever it resumes airing... 

• Love 1

Although this has been on my list of things to watch for ages, I just watched S1 this week. I really felt for Bev right up until the last episode. Fish out of water stuff aside, she and Sean had such a good relationship at the beginning of the season and it was clear how insecure and unhappy she became as soon as they moved to LA. I was hoping that eventually she and Matt would find a way to quit antagonizing each other but not like that. Honestly, I was so distracted during the episode where they slept together because I kept looking at the gorgeous ocean view.

I loved all the Friends jokes and references but the cinnamon bun Joey cologne was hilarious

I'll be back after I watch S2!

• Love 1