Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Memory Crackers

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

I rejoined Amazon Prime mainly so I could watch Upload Season 3, but I am very disappointed in this season. The first season was so great that I recommended it to all my friends. The second season was not as great but still mostly clever, funny, and moving. But this season the writers seem to be throwing things at the wall in terms of plot and characters in an effort to find enough material, and the result for me is confusion and boredom. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Paloma said:

I rejoined Amazon Prime mainly so I could watch Upload Season 3, but I am very disappointed in this season. The first season was so great that I recommended it to all my friends. The second season was not as great but still mostly clever, funny, and moving. But this season the writers seem to be throwing things at the wall in terms of plot and characters in an effort to find enough material, and the result for me is confusion and boredom. 

Completely agree. It lacks focus snd clarity in the story. Seem to be jumping all over. 

It has so much potential based on prior seasons and the premise s falling well short of expectations 

Most of this season seems to be about romance between all of them which is the least intersting part lf the show by far. 

• Like 3

I feel it was a mistake to download Nathan. The humour is definitely funnier when it's occurring in Lakeview and I generally do not care about the conspiracy. How long could a show last just set in Lakeview? I don't know, but I just know this season I enjoy the Lakeview scenes way more than the real-world scene.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I feel it was a mistake to download Nathan. The humour is definitely funnier when it's occurring in Lakeview and I generally do not care about the conspiracy. How long could a show last just set in Lakeview? I don't know, but I just know this season I enjoy the Lakeview scenes way more than the real-world scene.

I agree and Luke is the star of this season.

• Like 2

Is everyone seriously saying that they aren't enjoying the same fart joke on repeat each episode? Downloaded Nathan farts a lot guys! Farts are smelly. Also, apparently he's fat now.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I have to confess I'm a bit confused as to how many Nathans there are and which one is with whom.  It shouldn't be so hard, but...

Can someone please correct my understanding?

1)  Original Nathan died in the car crash.  They uploaded him to Lakeview, where Ingrid was paying the bill.

2)  Ingrid pretends to die and upload to Lakeview so she can be with Nathan.  But it turns out she's just in a hug suit in a bathtub.

3) Last season, Nathan and friends discovered some kind of body printing farm where someone (who? was it Ingrid?) was creating a body of Nathan (which apparently still has a huge penis but is about 10 pounds fatter than the original upload).

4) Uploaded Nathan was downloaded into new body Nathan in the real world.  So Uploaded Nathan left Lakeview.

5) In Season 3, Downloaded Nathan is having nosebleed problems and possible impending head explosion.  He meets Nora in real life and they start dating.

6) Angel who replaced Nora is obsessed with Nathan, and creates a backup upload of him.  So there is now an Upload Copy of Nathan in Lakeview.

7) Hug Suit Ingrid is aware that real life Download Nathan is now with Nora, and is determined to still be with Upload Copy Nathan.

8) At some point, Obsessed Angel thought that Upload Copy left Lakeview (he was in the Grey Zone with Downloaded Nathan) and created a second copy.  But I think she cancelled that copy.

9) Ingrid shows up at Downloaded Nathan's apartment in real life, all drunk and trying to get back together.

Someone please correct any errors.

Things I am confused about:

1)  Choak is/was the head of ____________.  Is he dead and uploaded to Lakeview?  Downloaded Nathan in the real world had his file which he threatened to destroy.  

2) Choak worked with Ingrid's dad (who is or is not alive?) to kill Nathan.  Ingrid's dad said he wished Ingrid had died too.  How can Choak have killed Nathan if he was dead and in Lakeview?

3)  If Choak is dead, how was he in that holographic meeting somewhere?  What were those people doing?

4) What is Downloaded Nathan and Nora doing with his mom and her boyfriend?  Why are they staying in some dumpy place and sharing a bed?

5) What is the storyline going on with AI guy and Alicia?

I feel like this show was a lot better in the first season when it was simply about a guy who died and went to some kind of digital afterlife.  As you can see, I am so confused now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I have to confess I'm a bit confused as to how many Nathans there are and which one is with whom.  It shouldn't be so hard, but...

Can someone please correct my understanding?

1)  Original Nathan died in the car crash.  They uploaded him to Lakeview, where Ingrid was paying the bill.

First, let's change the names because that is confusing, let's go with Real-World Nathan (RW Nathan) and Virtual-Reality Nathan(VR Nathan).

Yes, Ingrid was paying the bill.

2)  Ingrid pretends to die and upload to Lakeview so she can be with Nathan.  But it turns out she's just in a hug suit in a bathtub.

Yes

3) Last season, Nathan and friends discovered some kind of body printing farm where someone (who? was it Ingrid?) was creating a body of Nathan (which apparently still has a huge penis but is about 10 pounds fatter than the original upload).

Ingrid paid to print Nathan a new body, but didn't use it because they don't survive very long.

4) Uploaded Nathan was downloaded into new body Nathan in the real world.  So Uploaded Nathan left Lakeview.

Yes

5) In Season 3, Downloaded Nathan is having nosebleed problems and possible impending head explosion.  He meets Nora in real life and they start dating.

Nora and Ingrid were there when Nathan got his new body.

6) Angel who replaced Nora is obsessed with Nathan, and creates a backup upload of him.  So there is now an Upload Copy of Nathan in Lakeview.

Partially, she created the copy of Nathan because he was no longer in Lakeview and she didn't want to get in trouble for losing him. 

7) Hug Suit Ingrid is aware that real life Download Nathan is now with Nora, and is determined to still be with Upload Copy Nathan.

Yes

8) At some point, Obsessed Angel thought that Upload Copy left Lakeview (he was in the Grey Zone with Downloaded Nathan) and created a second copy.  But I think she cancelled that copy.

Not quite, VR Nathan took the elevator to the BETA version of Lakeview with Ingrid. The Obsessed Angel made the copy, the program deleted the copy when VR Nathan returned to Lakeview. 

9) Ingrid shows up at Downloaded Nathan's apartment in real life, all drunk and trying to get back together.

Not his apartment, but an office where you can view the contents of a (dead) VR Person's memories.

Someone please correct any errors.

Things I am confused about:

1)  Choak is/was the head of ____________.  Is he dead and uploaded to Lakeview?  Downloaded Nathan in the real world had his file which he threatened to destroy.  

Choak is dead, but he can facetime with the real world anytime he wants. He threatened the LUDD member at Lakeview to upload him and put him in a robot body so that he could attend the meeting in person, instead the LUDD member sent Choak (upload) to RW Nathan.

2) Choak worked with Ingrid's dad (who is or is not alive?) to kill Nathan.  Ingrid's dad said he wished Ingrid had died too.  How can Choak have killed Nathan if he was dead and in Lakeview?

Ingrid's dad is alive and he killed Nathan.

3)  If Choak is dead, how was he in that holographic meeting somewhere?  What were those people doing?

Choak is dead, but he can facetime with the real world anytime he wants. Those people are trying to kill off enough people (upload them to Freeyond), to get a bill passed that will allow dead downloaded people to be able to work.

4) What is Downloaded Nathan and Nora doing with his mom and her boyfriend?  Why are they staying in some dumpy place and sharing a bed?

I guess Nora becoming a LUDD caused her to lose all her money. Nora and RW Nathan move in with Nathan's family, who are also poor.

5) What is the storyline going on with AI guy and Alicia?

Alicia is trying to teach the AI guy (the concierge?) how to be more human, so that he can better serve the needs of the  residents of Lakeview.

I feel like this show was a lot better in the first season when it was simply about a guy who died and went to some kind of digital afterlife.  As you can see, I am so confused now.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Choak is dead, but he can facetime with the real world anytime he wants. Those people are trying to kill off enough people (upload them to Freeyond), to get a bill passed that will allow dead downloaded people to be able to work.

Thank you, I had some of the same confusion as @blackwing and your answer was very helpful. But I'm still confused about why Choak and the others in the meeting are trying to kill off people. I know they are trying to kill off potential voters, but I didn't realize that the purpose was to pass a bill to allow dead downloaded people to work. Why would these rich people (in Lakeview and in the real world) want to allow dead downloaded people to work? 

I thought the bill had something to do with suppressing the vote so the rich bad buys would have total control of the options for uploading after death. Not just Lakeview but Freeyond, though I'm still unsure about what Freeyond offered.

1 hour ago, Paloma said:

Thank you, I had some of the same confusion as @blackwing and your answer was very helpful. But I'm still confused about why Choak and the others in the meeting are trying to kill off people. I know they are trying to kill off potential voters, but I didn't realize that the purpose was to pass a bill to allow dead downloaded people to work. Why would these rich people (in Lakeview and in the real world) want to allow dead downloaded people to work? 

I thought the bill had something to do with suppressing the vote so the rich bad buys would have total control of the options for uploading after death. Not just Lakeview but Freeyond, though I'm still unsure about what Freeyond offered.

Here are a few lines of dialog from the episode.

HR32255 changes the law to allow uploads to work.

Numbers look good. Take just the back office workers, and just the people at Choak Industries. If we get rid of those sacks of worthless life, and replace them with sacks of worthless dead, we save half a billion a year.

Horizen owns the uploads and rents them to Choak.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
48 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Horizen owns the uploads and rents them to Choak.

I think this line threw me a little. Horizon shouldn't "own" the uploads. The uploads pay to be uploaded, and someone (still alive) pays for their upkeep. That person, if any, should be the "owner" of the upload. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think this line threw me a little. Horizon shouldn't "own" the uploads. The uploads pay to be uploaded, and someone (still alive) pays for their upkeep. That person, if any, should be the "owner" of the upload. 

It depends on what the contract says. There are video games that you pay for and don't own. Sometimes you pay a monthly fee to have access to the server to keep playing them. If the company decides to shut the server (game) down, you won't have anything to show for the money you spent.

• Like 2
On 11/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, Bill1978 said:

Schitt's Creek had 6 seasons which revolved around a motel. Upload could have at least had another season at Lakeview. 

• Like 1