Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Bulletproof

• Start Topic

When the State Department begins investigations into suspected homosexuals, Hawk distances himself from Tim, who questions his faith. Hawk’s colleague Mary comes under suspicion. Journalist Marcus loses his job after a dispute with Roy Cohn but is comforted by drag performer Frankie. Needing cover, Hawk draws closer to Lucy Smith. In 1980s San Francisco, Hawk observes gay life in the AIDS crisis when Tim’s sister forbids him to see Tim.

Nov 3, 2023

Too much focus on Hawk when he's the least interesting character, I found myself getting bored during his parts, especially when he's with Senator Smith. It's like they thought they had the flesh him out more because he's not in the book and they went too far in the other direction.

There’s not much progress in the 80s plot but there’s so much drama in the 50s. Am glad the f*ckfest has been toned down a bit in this episode. 😇

Hawks can’t even respect Tim’s wish of not wanting to see him. Everything has to be about HIM. He walks in and out of Tim’s life as he pleases since the very beginning.

“You were good at a lot, son, but you were never good at concealing yourself.”

Don’t you worry, Uncle Russell. Hawks thinks he’s bulletproof because he’s a decorated war veteran. 🙄

What Hawks, Tim and Mary did to Caroline was sh!tty. In order to save their mutual friend and to keep the spotlight away from their affair, Caroline has been left alone to deal with the consequences, jobless.

Come on, Tim. Stop doing his dirty works!!!

• Like 3

I love how pragmatic and uncompromising in his stance Hawk is.  This is his life and livelihood that is at risk. And I especially love how his steeliness extends to his family. I expected him to fold being at his father's deathbed, but he stayed resolute.  He really is his mother's son. His father said that as an insult, but it's a compliment.  They make no excuses for the decisions they made. 

• Like 6

I feel so bad for Caroline. These witch hunts were awful. I wish they had shown her and Mary discussing what to do after Mary got Tim's letter, if only because seeing Caroline involved in the decisions may have made me feel marginally better about the whole thing.

I do wish they focused on Tim a bit more, but I expect that will come.

• Like 4

So glad that I finally got around to watching Angels in America earlier in the year, I knew who Ethel Rosenberg was (and who Roy Cohen was) and didn't have to pause (like I often do with historical dramas) and do a Wiki dive into that part of US History.

Still very grateful that the politics is only a supporting plot in the show and not the main driver of events. It is definitely more of a character drama than a political thriller that's for sure.

I'm enjoying learning about the various reasons why Hawk is not willing to commit to a relationship and it makes sense. Very happy he didn't fake apologise to his dad like his mum suggested. Hawk is proud to be gay and doesn't need to apologise for that, but due to societal expectations he can't be out like a gay man can today.

I'm also liking how Tim isn't passive in the power dynamic of the relationship like I thought he was going to be based upon the synopsis of the show and the early part of Episode 1. He is willing to make power plays to get Hawk where he wants him.

If the show didn't tell me Tim was dying from AIDS, I wouldn't have picked it. He definitely doesn't look like he is in the late stages of AIDS.

Edited by Bill1978

I couldn't get a read on whether Senator Smith's question to Hawk about why such an elible bachelor wasn't married was meant to be a possibly friendly and non-threatening inquiry about whether he was gay. If it could be that obvious to Smith, how could a bright guy like Hawk really think he was all that "bulletproof?" Hawk's father's comment on Hawk's failure to conceal who he really was points in that direction. But maybe the senator's inquiry was more a nudge to get Hawk to propose to his daughter? Smith seems to like Hawk better than he likes his own son.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, ahpny said:

I couldn't get a read on whether Senator Smith's question to Hawk about why such an elible bachelor wasn't married was meant to be a possibly friendly and non-threatening inquiry about whether he was gay. If it could be that obvious to Smith, how could a bright guy like Hawk really think he was all that "bulletproof?" Hawk's father's comment on Hawk's failure to conceal who he really was points in that direction. But maybe the senator's inquiry was more a nudge to get Hawk to propose to his daughter? Smith seems to like Hawk better than he likes his own son.

I took the question as both a warning, given the changing climate, and a nudge to propose sooner rather than later.

• Like 5
On 11/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, ahpny said:

If it could be that obvious to Smith, how could a bright guy like Hawk really think he was all that "bulletproof?" Hawk's father's comment on Hawk's failure to conceal who he really was points in that direction.

His "bulletproof" sentiment could mean a couple of things.  It could mean some people would never suspect such a strapping young lad of being gay.  It could also mean that the bar to go after him is higher.  A lot of these investigations/persecutions seem to happen on the sole basis of of an accusation.  I believe Hawk suspects, given his status, they'll need more to bring him down.

Hawk's father knew about Hawk because he walked in on him giving his high school boyfriend a blow job.

I couldn't tell if Smith suspected Hawk's sexuality and has no problem with his daughter marrying a man who sleeps with other men or if he was just trying to push him closer to Lucy.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:37 AM, ahpny said:

I couldn't get a read on whether Senator Smith's question to Hawk about why such an elible bachelor wasn't married was meant to be a possibly friendly and non-threatening inquiry about whether he was gay.

I took it as "People are talking, son, and I know one quick way to get them to shut up."  I think Hawk's "bulletproof" comment was in reference to him being a war hero.  Because everyone knows war heroes are straight.  (This is where we really need a sarcasm font.) 

I'm really liking this show.  I love Matt Bomer, and Hawk has a lot of range as a character.  I love the nightclub scenes. 

I'm surprised Mary and Caroline weren't better prepared for that interview.  Girl the place up a bit, hide the men's pajamas and replace them with something more frilly.  Get a few pictures of them with guys placed around.  Have a stack of love letters from old beaus, that sort of thing.  I'd like to believe that Caroline knew she was done at State, and threw herself on her sword to save Mary (and Tim). 

• Like 2
On 11/7/2023 at 10:37 AM, ahpny said:

I couldn't get a read on whether Senator Smith's question to Hawk about why such an elible bachelor wasn't married was meant to be a possibly friendly and non-threatening inquiry about whether he was gay.

It might have been, but I think mainly he was telling him that if he doesn't do something about his bachelor status soon people will think that he's gay and his career will be finished.  It makes you realize that, in those days, even straight people, if they wanted to advance in their careers or even just keep their jobs, had to conform to societal rules.  Though most heterosexuals do marry, some just don't for one reason or another, and then there are those who simply don't find the right person until they're older.  I'll bet a lot of straight folks got married when they didn't want to or ended up trapped in a miserable life with the wrong person because they felt they had no choice (a la Prince Charles and Princess Diana).  What a cauldron of churning paranoia government employees must have been living in during the McCarthy era!

• Like 4
On 12/8/2023 at 2:14 PM, PaulE said:

It might have been, but I think mainly he was telling him that if he doesn't do something about his bachelor status soon people will think that he's gay and his career will be finished.  It makes you realize that, in those days, even straight people, if they wanted to advance in their careers or even just keep their jobs, had to conform to societal rules.  Though most heterosexuals do marry, some just don't for one reason or another, and then there are those who simply don't find the right person until they're older.  I'll bet a lot of straight folks got married when they didn't want to or ended up trapped in a miserable life with the wrong person because they felt they had no choice (a la Prince Charles and Princess Diana).  What a cauldron of churning paranoia government employees must have been living in during the McCarthy era!

Yes. If you were a man and wanted to advance in a career like politics a wife was necessary. Hawk is young, good looking, socially smooth- I think Senator Smith has genuine affection for him and wants the best, which in his mind includes marrying Lucy. 

On 11/6/2023 at 4:18 AM, Bill1978 said:

If the show didn't tell me Tim was dying from AIDS, I wouldn't have picked it. He definitely doesn't look like he is in the late stages of AIDS.

The makeup team isn’t doing a good enough job in the 80s. Matt Bomer is deliciously handsome, but in his 60s needs to look like a well kept 60, not 45!! Tim looks a little scruffy not on deaths door. 

On 11/3/2023 at 9:02 PM, secnarf said:

I feel so bad for Caroline. These witch hunts were awful. I wish they had shown her and Mary discussing what to do after Mary got Tim's letter, if only because seeing Caroline involved in the decisions may have made me feel marginally better about the whole thing.

I do wish they focused on Tim a bit more, but I expect that will come.

I felt terribly for Caroline. Did she even have a home to go back to??!! I also would’ve preferred if she and Mary had a discussion of what to do next, cut in with Tim’s letter. Tim’s letter itself didn’t bother me on a moral level (as he and Mary knew the score) but I didn’t like the idea of making Caroline the scapegoat. 

• Like 1