Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E15: Chocolate

• Start Topic

OMG, those safety PSAs... I loved the one with the officer twirling the flashing lights XD. 

So. The Argentinian elections sound like they're going to be a ride. The interviewer's face when the guy started going on about his sexual experiences... 

As for the main story, I'm not surprised about the child labor aspects, because that's been discussed many times over the years n the news in general, but it doesn't make it any less shocking to see the stories and these details about how badly the farmers who produce the cocoa are being treated. That phone call with the guy who was going on about how normal it was for children to work like that was...wow. 

• Like 7

Kudos to the reporter who started the Tony's chocolate company so he could do something about child labor.

10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

OMG, those safety PSAs... I loved the one with the officer twirling the flashing lights XD.

That was the best.

I feel bad for Argentinians, not just with their economy, but of course with the lack of good choice in the election. 

Loved the bit with John getting distracted by the graphic of Conan.

• Like 8

The main segment was depressing, but I guess good timing with Halloween and then Christmas. 

I feel sorry for Argentinians with those choices. On one hand, that new guy looks like a menace (to be honest, I was thinking maybe he's not that bad just eccentric until John mentioned that he praised Trump. That, or any other dictator or fan of dictators always settles it for me). On the other hand, I can totally understand how they don't want to vote for someone who helped tank the economy. It reminds me of the last two Brasil elections that also had only bad choices. At least I can use these examples when people who have much easier choices lament that there are no good candidates. There is never an ideal candidate and if there was, there's probably something shady being covered because let's be honest, very few good people go into politics and it they do, they often either get burned out or gradually become dirty themselves. So, let's be grateful if we have some relatively good choices, because as we see not everyone does. (PSA over 😜)

• Like 7
On 10/29/2023 at 8:49 PM, Annber03 said:

As for the main story, I'm not surprised about the child labor aspects, because that's been discussed many times over the years n the news in general,

So much so that I'd have sworn LWT already did this exact story. But like you said, it's certainly not a stale subject. And it definitely is great timing raising the issue profile right before Halloween and the holidays.

I do buy a lot of Tony's, but they don't seem to understand that I don't want all my chocolate to be salted. 

• Like 6

Super . . .  we have a geek running for the presidency of Argentina, and he's a completely insane tool. Or maybe he's never heard of Chainsaw Man. I'm hoping the people of Argentina can resist blowing up their government for a guy who would fill his cabinet with clones of his dog.

On 10/29/2023 at 11:49 PM, Annber03 said:

Apparently, the PSAs on Reno 911! might be based on actual PSAs from police departments. Man, they were low-rent . . .  though the breakdancing skeleton at the end was pretty cool.

Is there anything in our lives that is entirely guilt-free? I mean, kudos to LWT for exposing us to the sordid chocolate trade, but I'm running out of things to like and not hate myself for doing that.

"It's Conan!"

ETA: Does anyone know how many more episodes we'll be getting? Normally, John would be wrapping things up this time of year.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 5
On 10/31/2023 at 6:23 PM, peeayebee said:

I  haven't checked. Is it available everywhere?

I don't know actually. I'd guess you can find it in most metropolitan areas. Years ago I used to only see it at Whole Foods, but now it's next to the Lindt bars etc at my regular store.

• Like 3
On 11/3/2023 at 7:19 PM, Lois Sandborne said:

I don't know actually. I'd guess you can find it in most metropolitan areas. Years ago I used to only see it at Whole Foods, but now it's next to the Lindt bars etc at my regular store.

I found Tony's at Safeway here. Unfortunately I had already bought my groceries and was on the way out. Maybe next time.

And... Javier Milei won. Yikes.

• Sad 3

I've had Tony's twice, a caramel bar that was too sweet for me.  I finished it but wouldn't get it again.  I picked up a white chocolate strawberry cheesecake bar yesterday, a collaboration with Ben & Jerry's.  The flavor was good but the strawberry bits are so hard it is difficult to eat.  Not finishing that.  I want to support them but I also need to enjoy the product. 

• Like 2

Not a white chocolate or strawberry product fan, so that's a big no for me. The display I was looking at seemed to have a lot of holiday chocolate, like gingerbread, I think. No thanks. Still, I'll try out a basic bar sometime.

• Like 3