Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E01: Pete Davidson / Ice Spice

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

True, it was weak satire, but Deion has always been about Deion.  Wanting to be called "Coach Prime" instead of "Coach Sanders" is dumb.

He also rejected a sketch revolving around how he named all his kids after himself.

Edited by Galileo908
deleted a double post
On 10/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Yes. Pete Davidson used to fall alphabetically between Michael Che and Mikey Day.

My brain is still expecting "It's Saturday Night Live... with... Beck Bennett!" 

Edited by Cloudly
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

He has a unique cadence to his speech that I find really funny.  And a lot of his impressions are very similar for people who are actually very different, but they somehow always work. 

I actually used to be unimpressed with his comedy style. Seems like he was always on the verge of cracking up at himself. He still gives me that impression, but somehow I am always tickled by him now.

Wasn't sure how they'd handle the cold open given everything going on right now.  I think that was a very heartfelt and emotional way to go.

Overall the episode was uneven, some parts very funny and others not so much but given it was the first episode after the writer's strike ended, it was fine.

One question: did anyone else think Ice Spice was literally wearing 3 fanny packs as a top for her second song?

On 10/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I doubt Ice Spice needs the street cred a collabo with Taylor provides.

Street cred, no, but based on what I saw/heard of her performances, her career is going to need all the help she can get from actual famous performers.  Cause she sucked.

On 10/15/2023 at 9:57 PM, SeanC said:

I don't think there's much to get about it, beyond that it's a parody of this musical number:

Well, that and it was making fun of some of Pete Davidson's more notable "moments" of late.  I rather enjoyed the self-deprecating humor of it.

• Like 8
On 10/16/2023 at 4:58 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

I was unfamiliar with her (but then the Dunkin spots are airing constantly, I can hardly understand anything she says in those spots, Ben A. is not real clear either). She gave low energy performances, like Kanye sort of energy, non existant enthuiasm to be on stage. I FF'd thru her second number.

That's a good comparison - except that at least at one point Kanye actually had some great material. This was a low energy performance of C - work at best. And I FFed too as soon as I knew it was coming up - I completely missed Taylor Swift at first and was really confused when Pete was thanking her. I thought it was some sort of joke before I saw she was actually there.

• Like 2

I just got around to watching tonight. Aside from the musical guest, for which I hit the scan button on the DVR, I thought it was a fairly solid opener. Random thoughts:

Pete's remarks during the cold open set just the right tone. Someone upthread mentioned a soft spot for Pete.  I'm the same. I've liked him from his first appearance as SNL's "resident young person".I want him to succeed and be healthy.

I liked the NFL sketch, loved Mikey and Damon's bracelets. 

Heidi's fall onto the desk?  I laughed out loud. Very Chevy-like.

Kenan is very funny. He is the heart and soul of SNL.

Jost and Che make me happy.

Laughed and cringed at Glamgina, my spell check is confused.

I'm so over Taylor. Everyone else can enjoy themselves.

Edited by lou ann b
  • Like 4
47 minutes ago, lou ann b said:

Pete's remarks during the cold open set just the right tone. Someone upthread mentioned a soft spot for Pete.  I'm the same. I've liked him from his first appearance as SNL's "resident young person".I want him to succeed and be healthy.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan. The only thing on SNL that i've liked him in is the Chad sketches. But watching him tonight I literally told myself to be more open, and then I was actually smiling and even laughing. I still don't think I would ever seek out one of his movies or standups (if he does those). I don't wish him ill, but I'm just not interested in seeing his performances.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2023 at 6:14 PM, peeayebee said:

I still don't think I would ever seek out one of his movies or standups (if he does those). I don't wish him ill, but I'm just not interested in seeing his performances.

There's nothing about Pete Davidson on paper that I would find anything but repellent.  But that soft spot just won't go away.  I find his self-deprecation appealing and compelling, while wishing so hard he didn't have the traits that he is self-deprecating about.

I remember going to see Big Time Adolescence only because Pete Davidson was in it.  The audience was two young people and me, and they had to be wondering, "What's that old lady doing in here?"  But I can't help loving that kid, and wanted to "vote" for him by spending money in a theater for a movie that was coming to Hulu.

He was fantastic, and I had the same ache for his character that I have for him.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

There's nothing about Pete Davidson on paper that I would find anything but repellent.  But that soft spot just won't go away.  I find his self-deprecation appealing and compelling, while wishing so hard he didn't have the traits that he is self-deprecating about.

I remember going to see Big Time Adolescence only because Pete Davidson was in it.  The audience was two young people and me, and they had to be wondering, "What's that old lady doing in here?"  But I can't help loving that kid, and wanted to "vote" for him by spending money in a theater for a movie that was coming to Hulu.

He was fantastic, and I had the same ache for his character that I have for him.

I think I fall in the same camp.  King of Staten Island was the movie for me - I only watched it because it was on a streamer I already had, but I came away thinking, this was much better than I expected it to be. I'll have to check out Big Time Adolescence.

• Like 1