Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: The Gulag Archipelago

paigow
Message added by CheshireCat,

Anyone who wishes to remain unspoiled until the TV air date, remember that the episode streams two days early. There will be spoilers in this topic before the broadcast.

• Start Topic

Prince clashes with his employees over who has ultimate authority. Ira turns to Chuck for help with an embarrassing problem. Wendy and Luke forge a connection. Sacker confronts a figure from her past who poses a threat to her future.

9 hours ago, katenm said:

Chef Kwame!

Who is that some celebrity chef?

Killer Mike’s endorsement is that important or it’s stunt casting and they made it seem so vital that Prince and Scooter spend most of the day incommunicado?

So he would deliver the voters who really like pot and guns, like that’s some huge tranche of voters?

But the fake deal was a plot by Taylor to do huge deals?  How is that going to derail Prince’s candidacy?  If they did some embarrassing transaction, Prince could blame it on rogue underlings and fire them, doesn’t necessarily make people not vote for him — versus running as a third party candidate, which is the biggest obstacle to him winning.

And who knew helium was such big money?  Because everyone, even Taylor, wants to sound like a chipmunk?

Ira’s sex tape story, just so Davy can get back into the main plot about Prince.  That wife is such high maintenance.  She’s beautiful but is she worth it?  She was the one who wasn’t going to marry him unless he could give her the right ring, which was this huge, ugly thing.  Ira is constantly bemoaning how she’s cross with him and may stop having sex with him.  

Thing is, a man with Ira’s money can always find willing younger women so plots involving Ira’s domestic life always make your eyes roll.

Chuck’s former lieutenant, Connerty, was a better character.  He makes a return in this episode, out of prison for trying to prosecute Chuck and losing out.

But he’s a skeleton in Sacker’s closet as she prepares to run for Congress.  Because what, they used to sleep together?  In a world where George Santos is still in Congress, this is a dumb subplot too.

Kate should get Connerty his law license back or rather Chuck should do it so he can replace boring, whipped Ira.😄

• Like 1

Chef Kwame is Kwame Onwauchi, a Nigerian-American chef. The scene was filmed in his restaurant, Tatiana. His book, "Notes From a Young Black Chef", tells the story of his journey from a teenage gang member to a rising star in the culinary world.

His appearance brought back memories of Axe bringing in famous chefs, such as Daniel Boulud, to cook for/impress guests.

Frankly, eating at his restaurant is one of the few things that made sense in this episode.

I hope Chuck does hold true to his pledge to Ira not to expect something in return, but Chuck will always be Chuck.

Looking back over the history of Billions, many things did not make sense, it's been the glaring absence of Axe's energy that makes the recent ones more irritating to me. 

Have we ever been given even a hint as to the reason for Scooter's almost total sublimation to Prince's needs/desires? Their relationship is uncomfortable to watch.

Edited by katenm
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, katenm said:

Have we ever been given even a hint as to the reason for Scooter's almost total sublimation to Prince's needs/desires? Their relationship is uncomfortable to watch.

Prince and Scooter are similar to Reddington & Dembe...  Not that Scooter was a child soldier... but young Scooter might have had massive gambling debts [how he initially baited Wags] that Prince paid off in return for undying loyalty. 

• Applause 1
On 9/9/2023 at 12:10 AM, aghst said:

Killer Mike’s endorsement is that important or it’s stunt casting and they made it seem so vital that Prince and Scooter spend most of the day incommunicado?

The stunt casting on this show has become progressively more embarrassing over the years. These self-indulgent cameos interrupt the flow of the episode as much as any commercial would.

running as a third party candidate, which is the biggest obstacle to him winning.

It's been tried and failed before. 

But he’s a skeleton in Sacker’s closet as she prepares to run for Congress.  Because what, they used to sleep together?  In a world where George Santos is still in Congress, this is a dumb subplot too.

Yeah I can't figure out why this is an issue. And if it is, if she thinks a past relationship with a guy who went to jail for abusing his law license (or whatever, I don't really remember why) is a threat, what about any effort to get that guy his license back? How is that different from the risk she's trying to avoid?

• Like 1

I have to say that after watching seasons 1-6 via Netflix DVD (RIP), I was debating on doing the Paramount+ Showtime 7-day trial after the series finale to watch the final season. Based on the recaps and all your comments, I'm not sure it's even worth watching for free. I was already annoyed with all the stunt casting, incessant pop culture references, and nonsensical storylines in season 6, and it sounds like they have doubled down. Sigh.

So he would deliver the voters who really like pot and guns, like that’s some huge tranche of voters?

The model of a successful third party run is to compress one of the major parties so much that you become their de facto replacement.  Perot in 1992 before the Democratic convention and before he dropped out due to Clinton being scandal plagued pushed Clinton to third and became the anti-Bush/anti-Republican candidate.  He ended up dropping out as Clinton rebounded (and then strangely came back in the race later).  But that is what you want to do.  Take most of the vote from one party and then pad your numbers with some votes from the other.

Another example would be Macron who basically squeezed out the mainstream left in France.  Leaving a more extreme left who supported him in a run off and the right doing a similar thing but with different percentages.

But in essence what Prince is doing is running as what billionaires like Bloomberg and Schultz have toyed with.  Running as essentially moderate Democrats who will be able to a squeeze and consolidate much of the left and then have some hook to get those on the more moderate right who might not vote for a Democrat but will for an independent.

Prince is trying to be the person who squeezes out the Democrats and then tries to siphon off some Republicans as well.  Hence the Killer Mike endorsement.  Hence using talent from the a big DNC affiliated strategist (and no doubt his firm and affiliated firms in his orbit).

The problem is major parties in America are major for a reason.  And there is a reason a more "moderate" or "radical" alternatives to them fizzle.  They retain enough institutional support that it's difficult for any effort no matter how "serious" not being eventually seen as a spoiler.

He's going to have a difficult time no matter what Wendy does.  She's just there to make sure it hurts extra bad on the way down.

Surprised Chuck didn't throw Ira to the wolves.  In fact would not be shocked if next episode we find out Chuck did just that and was just lying to Ira.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Taget said:

The model of a successful third party run is to compress one of the major parties so much that you become their de facto replacement.  Perot in 1992 before the Democratic convention and before he dropped out due to Clinton being scandal plagued pushed Clinton to third and became the anti-Bush/anti-Republican candidate.  He ended up dropping out as Clinton rebounded (and then strangely came back in the race later).  But that is what you want to do.  Take most of the vote from one party and then pad your numbers with some votes from the other.

Another example would be Macron who basically squeezed out the mainstream left in France.  Leaving a more extreme left who supported him in a run off and the right doing a similar thing but with different percentages.

But in essence what Prince is doing is running as what billionaires like Bloomberg and Schultz have toyed with.  Running as essentially moderate Democrats who will be able to a squeeze and consolidate much of the left and then have some hook to get those on the more moderate right who might not vote for a Democrat but will for an independent.

Prince is trying to be the person who squeezes out the Democrats and then tries to siphon off some Republicans as well.  Hence the Killer Mike endorsement.  Hence using talent from the a big DNC affiliated strategist (and no doubt his firm and affiliated firms in his orbit).

The problem is major parties in America are major for a reason.  And there is a reason a more "moderate" or "radical" alternatives to them fizzle.  They retain enough institutional support that it's difficult for any effort no matter how "serious" not being eventually seen as a spoiler.

He's going to have a difficult time no matter what Wendy does.  She's just there to make sure it hurts extra bad on the way down.

Bradford Luke, dat you?

52 minutes ago, Taget said:

Surprised Chuck didn't throw Ira to the wolves.  In fact would not be shocked if next episode we find out Chuck did just that and was just lying to Ira.

He was definitely looking extra shifty to me. If I were Ira I'd be preparing myself.

By the way, does anyone see any chemistry at all between Wendy and Luke?

Honestly, chemistry between any two characters is hard to come by on this show. The closest it came to being successful, IMO, was Taylor and Mafee, but then they ruined Mafee's character and now he's a mini Dollar Bill.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Name an American president who was elected by a third party.  Maybe go back to the early 19th century when there were the Whigs and other parties which no longer exist.

In any event the show has not made a case that Prince's campaign is in any way viable.  I would think that Prince would have the best polling done and unless it shows he has some kind of traction, he would cut his losses early.

That is what Bloomberg did in 2020, started spending a lot on ads and had some bit of polling momentum until the disastrous debate performance and he cut his losses, knew it wasn't going to happen.

I think the writers just struggled for a plot, especially one which would justify Axe's return.  And so far, what they revealed isn't that compelling.

Also I think it's interesting that at the end of this episode, you have Wendy, Wags and Taylor strategizing, because Wags got the authority to do transactions over $500 million when Prince or Scooter aren't around.

They are setting themselves up for huge liability because they're plotting against Prince's interest.  You can say the presidential campaign is not part of MPC but he could find lawyers who could argue that the campaign and MPC are linked, so for these individuals to draw huge compensation while working against the interest of the Prince campaign and MPC could set them up for a big lawsuit.

Prince could try to ruin them financially for their betrayal.

Whether he has legal basis for doing so is kind of secondary to the fact that he's very rich and can absolutely disrupt their professional and personal lives.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I enjoyed how Wendy and Wonder Boy had deep conversations about a candidate for US President in middle of a busy restaurant. And how the dynamic threesome met to discuss overthrowing Prince in the middle of Prince's lair. Operational security is for shit on this show.

8 hours ago, Starchild said:

By the way, does anyone see any chemistry at all between Wendy and Luke?

Zero. It's kind of creepy, TBH. Wendy seems like his mom, and unless she is using him and her interest is a ploy, I don't get it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Ira, seriously? Having personal sex videos on your phone is almost a guarantee you'll get hacked or your phone will be stolen.

Killer Mike. Didn't realize he was still relevant. And thus far he has not endorsed any successful candidates for president so it's unclear to me what his use would be to Prince.

I would not touch that pie Dave brought with a ten-foot pole and I love sweet potato pie. The color was not right unless they make them differently in NYC versus, say, East Texas.

Prince drives himself. Seems unduly risky. Good job on the product placement car though.

Cojones. That's Spanish. 🙄

The little soirée with Killer Mike cost Prince over a billion dollars. WTAF. And Taylor ran the ploy without Wag or Wendy's knowledge. Wow. But now they and Wags have free financial rein while Prince's attention is mostly elsewhere. They just better act fast and maintain air-tight covers or he'll come after them for the money he loses.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1