Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Part 7: Sturt’s Desert Pea

• Start Topic

(Season Finale)
5c20c55df36dd3e73d95a7648b091a86944e6eb6
Alice is pushed to physical and emotional breaking point, but by moving through the turmoil, and learning to love and forgive herself and her family, she gathers the strength to powerfully use her own voice.

Premiere Date: September 1, 2023      Prime Video       

ok. I can see why people are wondering if there will be a season 2.

Glad finally Alice met her brother, found out the truth and reconnected with Sally.

Dylan is worse than dog shit.  I can't believe that the head ranger believed him rather than stay impartial till there was an investigation. 

June's letters are too late IMHO. All that and more should have been said before she died.  When she saying that Clem raped Candy, that was statutory right? I can't believe that despite the fact that June knew that Clem was violent she didn't warn Agnes.  I would have loved to know what she wrote to Candy and Twig.  I guess she left Thornfield to Candy?

I didn't get the significance of burning down that shed.

Interesting turn that it was Agnes who set Clem on fire. Poor woman had enough.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

ok. I can see why people are wondering if there will be a season 2.

Glad finally Alice met her brother, found out the truth and reconnected with Sally.

Dylan is worse than dog shit.  I can't believe that the head ranger believed him rather than stay impartial till there was an investigation. 

June's letters are too late IMHO. All that and more should have been said before she died.  When she saying that Clem raped Candy, that was statutory right? I can't believe that despite the fact that June knew that Clem was violent she didn't warn Agnes.  I would have loved to know what she wrote to Candy and Twig.  I guess she left Thornfield to Candy?

I didn't get the significance of burning down that shed.

Interesting turn that it was Agnes who set Clem on fire. Poor woman had enough.

It was implied that the ranger boss and Dylan had something going on because she had him fix the diesel something or another at least twice, which required him to be alone with her at the station. The first time it happened while he was living with Alice, he didn't get home until the wee hours. The second time was when the rangers were conducting the brush fires.

Candy and Clem were possibly sweethearts, but from what I could gather, he was several years older than her. June said Candy was 13 when she and Clem were caught in the greenhouse. What they were doing seemed to be "consensual", but Candy was, again, 13, and a child can't consent to a sexual act, particularly with a much older teenager or young adult.

And speaking of the greenhouse, it seemed that Clem had created the tree carving of the screaming woman who looked an awful lot like June. It was in the center of the greenhouse. My take was that the greenhouse was a huge source of shame for June; it represented another man (borne from harmful men) who had harmed women in her care. Her response to that initial harm to Candy was to place another woman (Agnes) in his path to "save" Candy. Burning down the greenhouse was a way to kill the memory, just as the fire in Alice's childhood killed adult Clem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Burning down the greenhouse was a way to kill the memory, just as the fire in Alice's childhood killed adult Clem.

It was dilapidated and dangerous, but it also housed the book. It no longer served a purpose as others will know of the stories it contains.

Now they need to digitize the damned thing. 

I don't normally pay much attention to actors' talents; I've never been one to recognize anything but incredibly bad acting. But Leah Purcell's performance was so convincing. 

She's the director of "My Life is Murder" as well. 

• Like 4

Sturt’s Desert Pea   
Meaning: Have courage, take heart

A finale filled with overwhelming emotions and closures for both June & Alice.

Compelling performances by Sigourney Weaver, Leah Purcell, Frankie Adams & Alyla Browne.

When it comes to abuse and assault, women are often powerless to men, silenced by them. Alice has experienced this first hand and called herself “a screwed-up flower”.

Through ‘The Lost Flowers’ book, June has given a voice to women who had been silent and let their stories be heard. Thornfield has given them a safe space to start healing. After everything, Alice finally understood her grandmother’s journey.

“You ended up exactly where your mum wanted you to be.”

June’s death is beautifully written. A send-off that she deserves after what she has done to all the flowers. And they stand by her till the very end. 💕

RIP June Hart…🕊  

01A81357-8F3E-4FCD-86BF-7795A111854D.jpeg

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I loved everything about this finale. I only have one question, which could be the result of me missing a line of dialogue or something. So...Agnes rescued Alice from near-death by murdering Clem, and whisks her out of the building. Yet Agnes died of smoke inhalation. There was no fire in the house until Agnes set it. I can't remember if Alice was still in the building when the fire started, but if she was, why did Agnes inhale so much smoke when Alice didn't? Wouldn't Agnes get both herself and Alice out of the building as quickly as possible? Did she get Alice out of the building and then go back in? 

• Like 2