Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Isabel

• Start Topic

This was, hands down, my favorite episode of the season. Maybe because it was a mystery on top of a mystery I also liked that they gave Isabel more depth, rather than just being a cold, rich WASP. And I also did not know those were the lyrics to Mmmbop.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
On 8/30/2023 at 1:00 AM, MerBearStare said:

This was, hands down, my favorite episode of the season.

Absolutely!  Loved the Hitchcock doppelgänger’s “Guud eeeveNING Loved the 50’s-60’s stylized hair and makeup, Isabel wearing blue in every scene, the pull-back camera shot. As much as I enjoyed the Wes Anderson color palette episode, this is my favorite.  The storyline was also pretty good…funny and moved the story along.  Edgar was definitely the asshole in all these peoples’ lives.  Sebastian may be shady, but Edgar was a jerk to everyone.

Looking forward to wrapping this mystery up.

I like how this one showed that Edgar was a jerk like shown in Sebastian's episode. Everyone else seemed to show that he was nice, but it was all a front!

I thought the pills she flushed were oblong caplets not round pills, am I wrong?

Can't wait for the finale to see how it all comes together.

23 minutes ago, Arynm said:

I like how this one showed that Edgar was a jerk like shown in Sebastian's episode. Everyone else seemed to show that he was nice, but it was all a front!

I thought the pills she flushed were oblong caplets not round pills, am I wrong?

Can't wait for the finale to see how it all comes together.

I am not sure if we are not to see Isabel as an unreliable narrator (if only slightly). I liked this episode but am only further confused by it.

• Like 5

I love (most) Hitchcock movies and that whole “suspense” genre so I loved this one. Especially all the nods to Hitch in styling. 

edit bc the I and o keys are close together and my fingers are fat. 

Edited by HelloooKitty
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am not sure if we are not to see Isabel as an unreliable narrator (if only slightly). I liked this episode but am only further confused by it.

I thought that she was an unreliable narrator too until she found the napkins with the correct name on them. Did she show everyone the napkins? That would put her in the she was right all along camp and Edgar was trying to gaslight her into thinking she was crazy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
29 minutes ago, Arynm said:

I thought that she was an unreliable narrator too until she found the napkins with the correct name on them. Did she show everyone the napkins? That would put her in the she was right all along camp and Edgar was trying to gaslight her into thinking she was crazy.

She did.

I feel as if the writing is not as tight this season. 

• Like 2

She did show everyone the napkin, yeah.

The Reddit community seems to be split between Ulysses and Hannah, for the most part (there are a few Sebastian truthers and a few people who think Travis is only pretending to be a bumbling fool). I'm on the Ulysses train, I think.

Spoiler

He handed Feng a whiskey glass in the found footage episode, and we saw Feng accidentally swap that glass with Edgar's Adderall-dosed glass, which kept Feng up all night brainstorming business ideas. Presumably the glass meant for Feng contained poison, and Ulysses expected Feng to be the one dead the next morning, which is why he ran to Vivian and Feng's room when he heard the scream.

Many people on Reddit think that's too simple, but I can't see a similar "smoking gun" (or "Yasper's cell phone") for any other characters. There are lots of complicated and entertaining theories, but nothing Danner could present as irrefutable proof, imo.

• Like 2

I guess Edgar really has been a bad guy all along, but like with Sebastian, Isabel isn't the most reliable narrator, napkins or no napkins. It does certainly show that there is something else going on here, I actually wonder if her husband, who dies in a strange plane crash, might factor into this.

I love these kinds of Hitchcockian melodramatic mysteries so I had a ton of fun with this one, its right next to the Wes Anderson episode when it comes to nailing a very specific directorial style. I loved all of the green and red lighting and the very dramatic reactions from everyone. We even got a Hitchcock lookalike cameo. 

I am leaning towards Hannah as the killer, but I am really not sure. 

"You cant call it that anymore!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
On 8/30/2023 at 1:00 AM, MerBearStare said:

This was, hands down, my favorite episode of the season. Maybe because it was a mystery on top of a mystery I also liked that they gave Isabel more depth, rather than just being a cold, rich WASP. And I also did not know those were the lyrics to Mmmbop.

That was my favourite episode too. I Iove Hitchcock movies and I liked how this was a good mix of parody (the over use of the Vertigo zoom, the fake driving around the corner with the projected background) and an actual real attempt to make something like it with a good twist at the end. My favourite little reference was how the party place that sent the real napkins was Dial P for Party.

Also I am wondering if Isabel and Sebastian were in on it together. He called the cops and the sheriff was her friend. And she immediately accused Grace in front of them. Plus Sebastian and Edgar's evil crypto plan got figured out.  Wonder if the story of their alone time where he tried to get the password was something they worked out.

• Like 1