Type keyword(s) to search

Ad Wonkiness (Technical Term)

Please bear with us while we work on the ad wonkiness the site is currently experiencing. Hopefully, it should be fully resolved in a couple/few days at most. Apologies for any inconvenience; we appreciate and thank you for your patience until then.

raw&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=72927a873c75f0cdd15d2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Still having terrible issues with ads on the site. I'm on Chrome, on an Android (Galaxy S21+), and below is a screen shot from this morning. There was a video at the top that blocks the entire top menu for at least 15 seconds, a pop up video in the bottom right corner, ads in the middle that block posts, and a banner ad along the bottom of the screen. This happens one every page I visit. 

Screenshot_20230715_101508_Chrome.jpg

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

ETA: I wrote too soon. Going back to the front page of my forums, all the same problems are still there.

The pop-up ad on the right side of the screen is gone, after I logged out, quit the site and logged back in. But the distracting Google ad band (behind the actual ad) is still taking up 20% of the screen. And the ads return after being X-ed out, previously, you were ad-free until you changed screens. The go-to-the-top arrow that used to be in the bottom-right corner and showed itself if you scrolled is still permanently  sitting in the middle-right of the screen. Please tell me that's not the new format. Thanks!

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 5

The ads are what they are. What problems are you having. The formatting and spill overs are mostly (if not all) accounted for.

Most of this is on the ad-provider side. We can ask...

EDIT: and also just to point out the usual usual... although the overall site theme probably plays a role, ultimately this is still based on google tags and whatever awful profile ad providers have whipped up for your device, ip address (if you have others in the house beware...), etc... 

• Sad 1
59 minutes ago, buttersister said:

The go-to-the-top arrow that used to be in the bottom-right corner and showed itself if you scrolled is still permanently  sitting in the middle-right of the screen. Please tell me that's not the new format.

Kinda sorta is unless the video ads that pop in down there disappear, as those overlap on-top of the button rendering it useless. Maybe I can get it back down there and throw a massive z-index on it (some ad structures are in the 1000000 range) without the ad company sending back a stern warning about x, y, and z.

EDIT: I could... but it would 99% probably break the ad providers terms and the powers-that-be already got yelled at once when I did <redacted>. I say that because I did not move the go to top arrow there.

They did.

I'll spare you the details other than to say some ad providers in this new reality take FULL control of the thing: not just where ads are placed but they will even move site structure around to not cover ad space. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1

@emma675 @buttersister

If you can provide examples of the ads in the middle blocking posts, that would be helpful. As for the other ads, it is what it is. The sticky bottom ad isn't new, nor are the ads that appear on-scroll in between posts. The video ads are new but our ad network has assured us that the video doesn't block the top menu (and based on testing, it doesn't -- the video ad disappears when you scroll to the top of the page). To remove video ads, you click the x next to it. 

ETA The Grand Cherokee ad isn't in the middle of the page, it's at the top, and scrolling up or down reveals the content behind it. This is normal expected behavior for that kind of ad. 

• Sad 1
(edited)

Two things happening since the ad changes:

First

In a forum thread I now get scrolling up and down for 15 seconds or so, not by me, while a bazillion videos load and then it settles on the post that was the first post of my last visit not the first blue line post of this visit. It may be two posts or thirty depending on the activity of the thread. If I try to take over the scrolling it won’t let me until it is ready to land where it wants.

Second

Once I am able to read the threads after x’ing out the videos the page will bounce, turn white, and show quickly “site primetime being redirected” (there is a lot more there but that’s all I can catch) and then the page shows back where I was but I have to then wait for all the ads to load before I can read again. 

iphone 11 safari all updated

chromebook updated

eta this is not happening on any other site I visit and only started since the ad update.

Edited by stewedsquash
Words
On 7/16/2023 at 8:48 AM, SilverStormm said:

@emma675 @buttersister

If you can provide examples of the ads in the middle blocking posts, that would be helpful. As for the other ads, it is what it is. The sticky bottom ad isn't new, nor are the ads that appear on-scroll in between posts. The video ads are new but our ad network has assured us that the video doesn't block the top menu (and based on testing, it doesn't -- the video ad disappears when you scroll to the top of the page). To remove video ads, you click the x next to it. 

ETA The Grand Cherokee ad isn't in the middle of the page, it's at the top, and scrolling up or down reveals the content behind it. This is normal expected behavior for that kind of ad. 

The video ads don't disappear when I click the "x."  They are on continuous loops and even appear over the textboxes as I type.  The more I click to close them, the more they open.  I don't mind the print ads, but these videos are really interfering with interactivity on the website.

• Sad 1
On 7/15/2023 at 6:09 PM, buttersister said:

ETA: I wrote too soon. Going back to the front page of my forums, all the same problems are still there.

The pop-up ad on the right side of the screen is gone, after I logged out, quit the site and logged back in. But the distracting Google ad band (behind the actual ad) is still taking up 20% of the screen. And the ads return after being X-ed out, previously, you were ad-free until you changed screens. The go-to-the-top arrow that used to be in the bottom-right corner and showed itself if you scrolled is still permanently  sitting in the middle-right of the screen. Please tell me that's not the new format. Thanks!

My I- pad keeps jumping to another page as I’m typing.  Plus, the ads are hard to remove.   Also, I lose my page whenever I’m typing.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I realize all posts about these awful video ads are being deleted to squash dissent. How is this ad considered good placement? Clicking the X is a stupid solution when they just reappear. This is a bug. These are bad ads. Please, undo whatever you did and improve the user experience.

Your assertion is wholly incorrect. I've quoted your post to explain why. Your issue is not a technical issue, it's a user-friendliness one.

As I've previously explained in a few different threads in this forum; this isn't a complaints forum, this area exists for members to report/ask a question/make a suggestion about technical issues

If you would like to provide feedback about any feature on the site the place to do that is here.

Thank you and good afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, rcc said:

Very large ad for Yupelri twice on page makes posts jump around on page. Started today. Android using Chrome.

Can you let us have a page url that you experienced it on, and if possible, a screenshot please.

29 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Can you let us have a page url that you experienced it on, and if possible, a screenshot please.

On every page I go to. It is here on this page right now.

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered. It seems lately that every time I go onto any page, as I am scrolling down (and sometimes after I am rather far down the page), it suddenly refreshes and moves me back up to the top of the page, requiring me to find where I was again. 

I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue. FYI- I am reading the forums on my iPad if that makes a difference. 

Thanks!

• Like 7
On 8/2/2023 at 8:40 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered. It seems lately that every time I go onto any page, as I am scrolling down (and sometimes after I am rather far down the page), it suddenly refreshes and moves me back up to the top of the page, requiring me to find where I was again. 

I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue. FYI- I am reading the forums on my iPad if that makes a difference. 

Thanks!

Same thing has been happening to me. Extremely frustrating.

There are now ads between each post in every forum.  Is this expected behavior?

Just wondering so I can prepare myself; I had become accustomed to seeing an ad which meant I was at the end of the page.  Now I just gotta keep scrolling.

• Sad 1