Type keyword(s) to search

Dougal MacKenzie

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm ambivalent about how I feel about him.

I loved him in the pilot, but ever since then, he's been downright...unlikeable. Considering that he is Jamie's uncle, his treatment of Jamie is very confusing. And since I'm pretty much in the group of non-book readers, as I only really remember, vaguely, Claire and Jamie...it makes no sense to me as to his reasons.  He totally used Geordie's death as a reason to pound on Jamie in the latest episode.

Why he should be jealous of Jamie is still not clear to me. Or rather, if jealous is the wrong word, why he begrudges Jamie, considering that wasn't how he was acting in the pilot.

• Love 1

I feel the same way. I liked and still like him, but I'm no longer as intrigued by him as I was in episodes 2 and 3. He's turning out to be almost as adolescent as Rupert and Angus...in fact I have more hopes of Jamie growing up than Dougal. JMO

• Love 1

Dougal was dead to me after he made Rupert deliver that beat down on Jamie. And then he called Claire a feral cat. So yeah, I'm not a fan of the character. But damn, Graham McTavish can sit a horse with extraordinary poise.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

I think I have mentioned this previously (I seem to be spending a lot of time in this forum), but I didn't like him up until the whole death scene in episode 4.  And then it came together to me about how he is with his men.  He takes his duties very seriously, yet he loves his men enough to set with them until they pass.  That softened my heart.

He still has to redeem himself for what he did to Claire, but that whole scene pretty much patched things up for me.  For the time being anyway.  ::giggle::

• Love 4

So I was thinking about Dougal MacKenzie in the shower (as you do) and I think he has the potential to become one of those characters that you find yourself liking even as you acknowledge some pretty awful, self-serving behavior.  Like, say, Jamie Lannister over in the Game-of-Thrones-verse.  I really don't like the way Dougal has treated Jamie and Claire and I can't make head nor tails out of his motivations (why the *hell* did he bring Jamie to Leoch in the first place?) but then I see scenes like the death scene with Geordi or the one where Dougal shows he's a verra capable war-chief during the battle of Cock-whatever Rock and I can't help liking him.  The Shinty scene looked a bit silly when I saw in in previews (as in "why is Dougal beating everyone up? -- what a child") but then I saw it in context and it made perfect sense and was perfectly in character given what he'd just gone through (Geordi's death).  I'm happy for Graham McTavish that he's gotten such a meaty role to play.  I think complexity like that is what actors live for.

• Love 5

Graham McTavish. Graham Mc Tavish...

I like his name. I am kind of in love with Dougal ---the complicated man that he is!

Same here. I did not feel that way about Dougal in the books, so I have to put it down to the skill, and downright sexiness, of the actor portraying him. Yes, Jamie is 99 kinds of hotness but he is only 22 years old. My 20s were a loooong time ago, so I can't help but be attracted to Dougal. Plus, I have always found baldness very sexy. (Patrick Stewart, anyone?)

• Love 3

Yes, Jamie is 99 kinds of hotness but he is only 22 years old. My 20s were a loooong time ago, so I can't help but be attracted to Dougal. Plus, I have always found baldness very sexy. (Patrick Stewart, anyone?)

I just wrote a long dissertation in The Gathering topic about why my attitude is changing towards Dougal.  And as is my way, I used 1000 words when I could have used 15.  You said it well.

I will add Taye Diggs (yum), and Stanley Tucci (adorable).  And now.  Graham McTavish.

• Love 3

This was Dougal's best episode yet. The way he stormed into the room where Claire was being held like some Highland avenging angel made me melt. And then to stare down BJR with that steely glare, daring him to thwart his will. That is a man you cross at your peril, something even the biggest sadist in the world tacitly acknowledged.

I think it helped show the contrast between the two. Dougal is chauvinistic and ruthless but he is also loyal and honorable and you can see why his men follow him. I doubt anyone who serves under Randall likes or respects him. They fear him, certainly, but that's it. I don't think anyone would mourn his death.

Dougal has been the biggest surprise to me, a book reader, in the show. I think that is solely due to Graham McTavish's talent and charisma. Hubba hubba!

• Love 2

Dougal is really... substantial. When he was standing at the table while the redcoats attempted to ridicule him, he just looked like a magnificent Scot. Now I think about it, his impassioned speech about Jamie's whipping might have been a little more sincere that I'd first thought. It's a shame that he humiliated Jamie further to raise money for the cause though. It's amazing what a fine actor can do with a character.

• Love 5

he just looked like a magnificent Scot

Graham McTavish IS a magnificent Scot. <sigh>

Dougal is magnificent as well. He is also ambitious, manipulative, and perfectly capable of killing both Jamie and Claire if they pose a threat to the clan or to his aspirations to lead it. I love watching Dougal but I do not trust him completely. When he pulled that knife at the holy well, that's wasn't just for show.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

he just looked like a magnificent Scot

Absolutely perfect description.  It's making me want a Scotsman. 

Anyone who might know.  Dougal is a war chief?  What is that exactly?  What in America could be likened to his position, if there is one?

• Love 2

Anyone who might know.  Dougal is a war chief?  What is that exactly?  What in America could be likened to his position, if there is one?

I'm not an expert on anything, but I like to pretend I am, so I'll give this a shot.

In the book it's explained that when Colum and Dougal's father died there were disagreements about who would become Laird.  More of the clan backed Colum, but there was some concern that he wouldn't be able to preform all his duties because of his illness.  Dougal, being fit of body, could perform those tasks, but he was a bit of a dick and didn't have the support of the people.  So Colum became Laird and Dougal became his War Chief.  I guess it could sort of be like a president and his top general or maybe Good Cop/Bad Cop.

• Love 2

This is cool. An interview with Graham McTavish at an Outlander fan convention conducted by people connected to the Outmander fan site, which is geared towards male fans of Outlander. So, of course, some of the questions highlight thoughts about the male audience.

Graham McTavish Talks About His Portrayal of Dougal and Masculinity

http://outmander.com/

• Love 3

I'm glad that I visited this forum because as I watched the episodes, I understood that Jamie was supposed to be The One, but I was riveted by Dougal.

Actually, My initial impetus for my forum visit was to read comments about Dougal.

• Love 2