Type keyword(s) to search

S09.01 - "I hate pancakes"

• Start Topic

And we're off! 10 racers starting in Winterpeg err Winnipeg in mid spring by the looks of it, and then jetting off to Calgary for a long day of racing. 

As usual the challenges were at the TAR:CAN standards. The Drum circle drumming judging seemed fairly strict; and having the pancake orderers move after ordering was pure evil. :) The rappelling task was straight forward enough... if you opened your eyes as you went (unlike one team). 

The teams themselves seem fairly good. Seeing some early cracks and frustrations already but none seem particularly bad. And that was a LONG day in Calgary by the looks of it, considering how dark it was at the end of the leg. 

Was I seeing things, or was the greeter the former mayor of Calgary? ( Naheed Nenshi?) It sort've looked like him, but I don't think they actually introduced him. 

With Tough As Nails filming in the Hammer (so Phil's hanging out in Canada) I had hoped we might see a bit of a TAR/TAR:CAN crossover this season; but obviously from the weather on this leg, they were filmed at quite different times. 

• Like 3

I hate that someone has to go home the first week, but the most deserving left after the same person messed up not just one but two challenges.  The bald guy on the team that came second last had better slow down and think things through, or he will be leaving soon.  

The drag queens had the right attitude.   They were last arriving twice, but where it counted, on the mat, they were 4th because they didn’t freak out.  

• Like 1
(edited)

The right team definitely went home. It was mind boggling that Gisele could miss the words, and twice!!  It sounds like she gave the name of businesses that she could see, and the second time the name of the library. I did wonder why she then also took the job of remembering the pancake orders, rather than making them, since she seemed frazzled from the library task.

My early fav is the team that finished first. But so far I don't have a team I dislike. Though the two friends who have assigned themselves a nickname are a bit much. I think it was one of them who said the express passes should have been theirs. Nope, don't think so. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 2

The only team I really don’t like the You Tube team. Dypal? I think. 
like Tyler and Kathleen. Gotta admire a double amputee!

also another Tyler I think, the hockey player. I really liked that team too

The tasks were great. The people moving tables during the pancake challenge was a nice twist. 
rapelling face first down a building takes guts!

Just starting a rewatch.

I think my challenge will be keeping Tyler and Kayleen vs Ty and Kat straight in my mind.

I like both!

• Like 1
On 7/5/2023 at 9:41 AM, Taeolas said:

And we're off! 10 racers starting in Winterpeg err Winnipeg in mid spring by the looks of it, and then jetting off to Calgary for a long day of racing. 

As usual the challenges were at the TAR:CAN standards. The Drum circle drumming judging seemed fairly strict; and having the pancake orderers move after ordering was pure evil. :) The rappelling task was straight forward enough... if you opened your eyes as you went (unlike one team). 

The teams themselves seem fairly good. Seeing some early cracks and frustrations already but none seem particularly bad. And that was a LONG day in Calgary by the looks of it, considering how dark it was at the end of the leg. 

Was I seeing things, or was the greeter the former mayor of Calgary? ( Naheed Nenshi?) It sort've looked like him, but I don't think they actually introduced him. 

With Tough As Nails filming in the Hammer (so Phil's hanging out in Canada) I had hoped we might see a bit of a TAR/TAR:CAN crossover this season; but obviously from the weather on this leg, they were filmed at quite different times. 

That definitely was not the former mayor Naheed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

But, three express passes to one team? Seems kind of excessive.

It happened last year/season with the brunette brothers who earned three EPs for winning the first leg, two of which they gave to the Inuit siblings and the Asian sisters.

I'm a couple of episodes behind so I'm working on catching up.

So far, there's not a whole lot that stand out, but I'm probably rooting for Ty/Kat and Shayla/Joel the most. I don't quite know everyone's names yet, but this premiere did a decent job at attempting to explain who everyone is.

All the other teams seem ok but had some annoying moments. I think Youtube Bros annoyed me the most but I'm guessing that's the angle they're going for. It's also really just in the talking heads that they're at their most annoying. Otherwise, their annoying traits are more toned down during the actual race (kinda). The f/f best friends who didn't get eliminated (Gracie/Lily) were mostly fine besides the stupid "I could look for love here", along with the OTHER duo that were preaching showmance bullshit (Ben/Anwar). 

I liked Allie/Eddie at the start but it's becoming quite clear that Eddie is not going to have a very pleasant time on this race. He seems to let the pressure get to him too much and that's gonna mess them up substantially if he doesn't control his frustration. Allie seems great, but Eddie's gonna bring her down. I get the frustration with the pancake task, so I'm willing to wait for the next episode to see if he's actually able to correct some of his mistakes by getting upset way too quickly.

I had to look up the other team names. Deven/Amanda are mostly forgettable at the moment, Jermaine/Justin had a great comeback (and I love that they're the first drag couple on the North American series!) and Tyler/Kayleen seem fine for now but Tyler potentially not being able to complete the physical portion of the race (mostly the running) might do them sooner.

Otherwise, strong start to the season. I'm sad for Gail/Gisele but Gisele (I think?) messed up too badly on the words task and couldn't get herself to figure out the pancake task until it was too late.