Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Blockbusting

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/28/2023 at 12:27 AM, AnimeMania said:

This was originally episode 5.
169794_0001-900x0.jpg

Lindsay Sloane, who played Alice Pedermeir in the original "The Wonder Years", plays Mrs. Hitman, mother of Dean's friend Brad Hitman (Julian Lerner).   

Yeah next week was originally episode 4 and judging from the description, it must be fallout from Dean outing Keisa episode 3. But it kinda makes sense as to why they switched them because I think this is supposed to be first episode of Patti LaBelle’s two episode arc as the choir director. Unfortunately, due to the ESPYs and the CMA Fest the 6th episode won’t air until July 26 according to Wikipedia and Futon Critic.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20230619abc07/

I totally called Coach Long using the same excuse Bill did about the “big game” 🤣

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 1

Since we replaced the last white family with school aged kids on our block I was wondering how this would be played. That Coach's fraternity brother real estate agent was portrayed as antagonistic in "using" folks to scare out White people like the many crime shows where the gang is contracted out for the same reason to drop prices  was kind of galling.

I get it, that the fear that Brad's sister might end up with a boy like Dean played into the flight of Whites when a block was busted. But when turned into a MILF story as Dean's crush really went publicly over the line. That Brad only went into a slap fight, being a comedy, and all was good after a simple trip to the principle and the moms being called in was too easy as Dean didn't learn the social  lesson that you keep momma out of it.

• Like 3
(edited)

I am not a fan of Dean, the character or the actor.  Prefer everyone else, Lillian, Bill, Kim, Cory, Keisa, adult Dean's narration; anyone but young Dean.  Don't enjoy Dean related stories, either.  I did not like or find Dean's story in this episode interesting or funny.  To me, Dean is the weak link of the show.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Lindsay Sloane will always be Valerie from Sabrina the Teenage Witch to me, I'm always happy to see her and she looks great in period clothes. I'm glad the families bonded and that Brad's mom told Lillian the truth about the house, even if Brad and Dean are making it weird with their multiracial multigenerational crushes. But Dean, you cant bring moms into things like that! No ok!

Bill talks like a "blacksploitation hero before blacksploitation movies" when he gets pissed off. Its so sleazy of the relator to try to sell his houses as doing great progress to integration and not just a real estate scheme. 

• Like 1

How funny that Brad's family were doing everything to say "in our house, everyone is equal" which leads to the Mom awkwardly giving Dean a kiss goodnight. Dean made his crush so creepy! He should know when to shut up, and not make Brad mad!

• Like 3
On 6/29/2023 at 3:44 PM, Bazinga said:

I am not a fan of Dean, the character or the actor.  Prefer everyone else, Lillian, Bill, Kim, Cory, Keisa, adult Dean's narration; anyone but young Dean.  Don't enjoy Dean related stories, either.  I did not like or find Dean's story in this episode interesting or funny.  To me, Dean is the weak link of the show.

I pretty much agree with this. Overall, I think Dean is the least interesting character on the show and the more interesting plotlines are the ones that involve other characters in his family.

• Like 2

Love the sparing between Bill and Coach Long at the front door and later at the house. They were fun. I love that Bill didn't even want to go to until Long tried to pretend they forgot. 

Dean why did you tell Brad you had a crush on his mom? Of course he wasn't going to take it well. 

I'm glad Brad's mom told Lillian the truth about the real estate agent. 

I liked Kim being upset about good high school until she learned about the uniforms. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked Kim being upset about good high school until she learned about the uniforms. 

I thought the uniforms were for a private school they were threatening to send her to. If the move wouldn't cause Dean to change schools, I don't think it would cause Kim to change schools either.

Edited by Sarah 103