Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Getaway

oompa
  • Start Topic

(edited)

AAAARG! they are not going to resolve much with just one episode left, are they?
And with the writers strike... this is SO frustrating!

Jules is so smart, well she is a very competent mechanic after all.

Billings is an delusional  idiot...why on earth he had to burn the book? why he still thinks his loyalty to the Pact/Silo matters?

So.. behind Sims there is a strong and very ambitious wife. They are both creepy. Even their kid is, the little bugger asked for the Jules to sent go clean. 

How the cameras were turned off helping Jules escape?

That lady from the Raiders she even got to say some lines in this episode and somehow I think she will get involved more.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 5

Rappelling hooks and rope should be on every rangers/ security. Train more on rope skills and tactical movement and less on search and battering rams. Although their search methods need help as well. Who is training these groups?

Meanwhile, Juliette has mad leaping and landing skills. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BeckyThatcher said:

Rappelling hooks and rope should be on every rangers/ security.

Do these fall in the category of not having any kind of "elevating" mechanism?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BeckyThatcher said:

Meanwhile, Juliette has mad leaping and landing skills. 

That was far-fetched, even within the context of this show. No way she should be able to get up and run off without at least a sprain somewhere, never mind alluding the people chasing her who didn't jump down at least two stories.

There was also some dumb plotting with Sims' wife. She refused security entry into her home for - what reasons? So they wouldn't discover Jules of course, and ruin the whole story. I can't think of any reason why Mrs. Sims wouldn't want a security detail to make sure the coast is clear, even if she has a deep distrust of them. 

I'm annoyed with Billings for burning the book. I know he saved one page but it seems like that one page would be just as dangerous to have as the whole book so why not keep the whole book? I mean, ultimately you want to show it to as many people as possible and go "look, this is what the before times were like," then start asking why it was illegal to even know that.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I don’t understand why Billing burned the book. That was heartbreaking after what people through the years had sacrificed  to protect it.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 12
(edited)

They walk up and down the stairs! They must have board games and cards and there may be a rich (if forbidden) oral storytelling tradition.

And a Fight Club which nobody talks about.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
  • LOL 8

We didn't learn anything new. There was that new blinky light for Tim Robbins that had the number 18 on it (same as the hard drive) but that's it. I'm guessing the blinky light is how the outside powers that be communicate with the silo powers that be, but who knows. It would be super fucked up if that was the silo number, and there was more than one, but I would love it if that was a thing. The rest of the time the characters caught up with us. Still hoping for a tiny bit of closure a long with the inevitable cliff hanger for the season finale.

I did want to talk about Rebecca Ferguson and Chinaza Uche. Ferguson is masterful at showing anxiety and trying the hide emotion. She was phenomenal at it in Dune and she's really great at it in this. Uche plays Paul so sympathetically to me. Everything on paper says I should hate Paul, but gosh darn it, I root for him every time to switch sides. Even when he burned the book (which is unforgivable) I was still hoping against all odds, he would start looking for answers. The acting on this show is good, but they're the standouts for me along with David Oyelowo when he was on the show.

• Like 14
16 hours ago, marinw said:

I don’t understand why Billing burned the book. That was heartbreaking after what people through the years had sacrificed  to protect it.

The further we get into this story the more questions I have about the premise. Presumably everyone in the Silo has some idea of why they're there and what happened outside, even if it's purely speculation on their part. But the idea that the "before times" are forbidden to even discuss or have any relics from seems like something everyone would find awfully suspicious, and make them feel like they are living in a repressive penal colony. The fact that there is even a concept of a "before time" demonstrates they know something happened but they are not allowed to know what it is. I just don't buy that everyone is complacent enough to make this system work.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
On 6/23/2023 at 5:41 AM, Zaffy said:

AAAARG! they are not going to resolve much with just one episode left, are they?
And with the writers strike... this is SO frustrating!

The second season is completely written. Hugh Howey (the author of the series, and an EP on this series) said the second season was written before the strike, and they have already started filming it.

• Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, astrohip said:

The second season is completely written. Hugh Howey (the author of the series, and an EP on this series) said the second season was written before the strike, and they have already started filming it.

Correct.  I shared this in the small talk thread.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, go4luca said:

Correct.  I shared this in the small talk thread.

Correct. And I re-shared it here as @Zaffy, who either hadn't seen the news, or had forgotten, was concerned about how the writer's strike would affect S2.

• Hugs 1
3 minutes ago, astrohip said:

Correct. And I re-shared it here as @Zaffy, who either hadn't seen the news, or had forgotten, was concerned about how the writer's strike would affect S2.

Copy you.  My understanding is that is what the small talk thread is for.  🤷‍♀️

• Hugs 1
On 6/24/2023 at 7:48 AM, Catfi9ht said:

I did want to talk about Rebecca Ferguson and Chinaza Uche. Ferguson is masterful at showing anxiety and trying the hide emotion. She was phenomenal at it in Dune and she's really great at it in this. Uche plays Paul so sympathetically to me. Everything on paper says I should hate Paul, but gosh darn it, I root for him every time to switch sides. Even when he burned the book (which is unforgivable) I was still hoping against all odds, he would start looking for answers. The acting on this show is good, but they're the standouts for me along with David Oyelowo when he was on the show.

Right there with you and thanks for stating it much better than I could.  Without over doing it, Ferguson and Uche are acting the heck out of each of their roles. 

Although I've enjoyed the show, the season has been a slow burn for me but definitely picked up.  I'm sad we only have one more episode to go.

• Like 2

I cannot get over how far fetched this show is. (Thank you iMonrey). Juliette is too stupid to live. Everyone who has gone over the railing has died. Everyone, but not our Jules. She did not search the wife’s pockets which anyone, sheriff or not, would do. But then we couldn’t have the wife see the video and let her go. And how could she not consider that the hard drive could be traced? If they had shown that she was willing to risk discovery,okay. But no she was surprised. All the cameras going off in the corridors? Just another excuse to not catch her.

There are too many plot holes and people suddenly willing to help Jules who has shown no people skills at all to inspire any kind of loyalty.  

I expected tighter plot construction since it was a book first. I agree the acting is good but it is not enough. I will finish the season but doubt I will be back for Season 2. Only if David Oyelowo is in every episode.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, gibasi said:

Everyone who has gone over the railing has died.

Everyone who goes over the railing and falls to the bottom has died. She knew there was a landing (access ramp?) below her that connected the central staircase to the Silo levels, and she jumped for it. See pic attached.

silo.jpg

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 5
On 6/25/2023 at 1:04 PM, go4luca said:

Copy you.  My understanding is that is what the small talk thread is for.  🤷‍♀️

Actually, that’s NOT what the small talk thread is for.  😉 I created a media thread. 

• Like 1