Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: But Esau Ran to Meet Him

• Start Topic

I love Steve Zahn, but will see how I feel about him in this role as the cult leader.  Loved the car chase -- especially since Gideon couldn't turn his head.  The shoe fight was so juvenile, but also hysterical.  I still love goofy BJ, so oblivious.

• Like 2

Oh man that opening scene with the bickering couple putting down each other's haircuts.

Then ending with her clobbering him in the face.

We may never see these characters again but it was awesome!

This show certainly shows all varieties of evangelical churches.  Jesse scorns these backwards militia types while the Steve Zahn character is calling the Gemstones grifters, which is true.

I guess there will be another action plot again this season, with the Gemstones having to duke it out vs. Zahn and his militia.

(edited)

So, it looks like along with the rival siblings/rival megachurch, the other main obstacle it going to be this militia led by May-May's husband, played by Steve Zahn.  I like that both sides detest the other and neither one is completely wrong to do so (although the militia are clearly more willing to resort to actual attempted murder.)  I imagine this could also play into whatever went down between May-May and Aimee-Leigh. 

I have to imagine BJ will eventually figure out what is really going on and it won't be pretty.  Between that and the fling clearly becoming obsessed with her, Judy is going to be in the thick of it very soon!

Gideon being Eli's new driver is an intriguing way to keep him involved in most everything.  Even if he can't quite turn his head yet...

The meeting and then actual shoe war with the ministry was hilarious.  Interesting that it felt like Kelvin was the one who briefly had them at one point, but he just couldn't help resorting to his more "youth pastor" like approach and all of the leaders saw right through it.  Still a better attempt compared to Jesse and Judy just going all in like they normally do.

This seasons looks like it's going to be another wild one!  Can't wait to see where this all goes!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 6

The Washington Post had an interesting interview with Edi Patterson. I'd link but I think one needs an account to access it. I miss it when there's no singin' and dancin' featuring Judy. And I eagerly await all of her shiny outfits.

Thank God they kept Keefe. The actor captures him perfectly.

John Goodman seems to lack energy. I know his character is aging and trying to retire, but he seems to be barely functional.

• Like 3
On 6/20/2023 at 9:58 AM, Dobian said:

These three are like the Roy siblings but stupider. 😆

And like them, they cannot get out of their own way because they keep being so mean to their siblings.  They can't hold hands.  They can't even fake it when major dollars are on the line. 

I love how they show the large church organizations as battling each other for money.  These churches have nothing to do with salvation and everything to do with bringing in more and more money.  After all, it's so easy to tithe.  Just put your info in the app.  

The outfits on this show never disappoint.  Judy and her husband have the best clothes.  

Gideon got a chance to shine.  I love that he has a neck brace on.  The actor did a great job of using the mirrors and not turning his neck during the chase.  

• Like 6

That meeting with the pastors went pretty much as well as could be expected, in hilarious failure. The siblings just cannot stop tripping over themselves and they cant work together for more than three seconds. Come on guys, you cant even hold hands when there are millions of dollars at stake? Kelvin was actually doing decently before Jessie and Judy went off the rails, but then Kelvin has always had slightly better people skills. 

Gideon being Eli's new driver is a good way to use him more, that car chase was pretty awesome.

Poor goofy oblivious BJ, even he can tell that something is up with Judy. 

Now we have another set of villains, who might be an even bigger threat than their evangelical rivals, they're actually down for some pretty gnarly violence. Fun seeing Steve Zahn here, as a militia cult leader of all things, things with Eli's family just keep getting more and more interesting.

"They're super religious, have a bunch of guns, and all live on a compound together. Makes me sick."

• Like 4

This episode was great. From the fighting couple, to Amber upset and being called mummy, Gideon driving while not being able to turn his head, Judy forever bragging about the power of her vajayjay, then the shoe fight... Lmao. I loved this episode. 

• Like 2