Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Death Be Not Proud

Athena
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

And now we have the 'just think of where you want to go'. Well, did Claire think about getting busy with a hot Scottish guy the first time she heard the stones? No. Then why did she go back? Because. I don't think the author has any set rules. I don't really care per se, but it is kind of funny. 

I thought it was because she had BJR and the time period on her mind due to conversation with Frank and Rev Wakefield

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, nara said:

I thought it was because she had BJR and the time period on her mind due to conversation with Frank and Rev Wakefield

That makes sense since the first person she saw was BJ.

• Like 1

I mean, that's as good a reason as any. I'm not sure it explains Gellis, the guy from the 1700s, or Wendigo, or the other native american that ended up the ghost. 

Even if she was thinking of Black Jack, why then? 

I suppose you waive Gellis because she killed the husband, though she ended up overshooting iirc. 

We don't know how long it has been since Lallybroch was occupied. It's possible that it was updated with electricity, plumbing, and whatnot, as recently as the 1930s (probably not the 1940s - the war and then the economic difficulties of the later 1940s and the 1950s would make that hard to do).  That would make the cost of renovation a lot, lot less.

Yes, I do watch Call the Midwife for my historical knowledge of the 1950s and 1960s, thank you very much!   😁

• Like 3
21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Well, did Claire think about getting busy with a hot Scottish guy the first time she heard the stones?

It could be that you go somewhere random when you're not thinking of anything in particular or that Claire and Jaime have a bond that reaches across space and time, but it's entirely possible she was thinking about the era her husband's ancestor lived in, since they were there to research it.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

or Wendigo, or the other native american that ended up the ghost.

That's an ongoing mystery, since they ended up scattered. Perhaps they didn't coordinate their thoughts well enough, or should have used rope like Bree and Roger did. When Wendigo said, "I never even made it to where I was supposed to go", did he mean the wrong year or that he never got the opportunity to travel to a physical location either he or the whole group was supposed to walk to after going through the stones? Otter Tooth appears to have gone to the time he wanted in order to warn people, but the people didn't listen to him.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, j5cochran said:

We don't know how long it has been since Lallybroch was occupied. It's possible that it was updated with electricity, plumbing, and whatnot, as recently as the 1930s (probably not the 1940s - the war and then the economic difficulties of the later 1940s and the 1950s would make that hard to do).  That would make the cost of renovation a lot, lot less.

Yes, I do watch Call the Midwife for my historical knowledge of the 1950s and 1960s, thank you very much!   😁

Possibly, but it was boarded up and all the birds flew out when Roger was messing with the boards. I think that meant to indicate not. Plus, we all know the gold is in play here, so it's going to be expensive regardless. 

On 7/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, Glade said:

However I strongly disapprove of Claire trying to hand-wash the carcinogenic smoke out of clothes; just toss them!

Clothes back then would never, ever be tossed. The amount of labor and resources that went into producing them was just insane. Cotton or wool had to be picked or sheared and then cleaned. Then spun into thread. A lot of thread. Then that thread had to be woven into cloth, which then had to be dyed, cut, and hand sewn into clothing.  Even if you had money and purchased the clothing or at least the cloth from a store rather than producing it, it was way too expensive to just throw away because it was dirty or stained.

At worst if it could not be cleaned or cut down into clothing for children or others of a smaller size, it would be recycled into rags.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4

I am completely confused with this episode and the one before in regards to Roger and Brianna.

How did they know that they needed to go to Scotland to retrieve the chest? As well, how did they manage its retrieval? When they left Jamie and Claire did not give any indication that they would return to Scotland. And this is not counting the incredible situation that the bank that kept the chest for almost 200 years - presumably the Bank of Scotland - in pristine condition was able to deliver the chest to Roger and Brianna. How would they prove their eligibility to collect the chest? As well, why did they bank keep the chest without payment for that long?

And then there is the logistics of Rogers and Brianna in the 20th century. How did they go from near Wilmington to Boston? Did they have modern money? What about their assets in Boston? Did they still have bank accounts and home after disappeared for at least 7 years? And the be really realistic, how did they get the birth certificates and SSNs for Jem and Mandy?

Was any of this explained in the books? No spoiler, just yes or no.

Some of this was answered on the next episode S7 E4 with time jumps and “perviously…”

As for the book explanation, I haven’t read them or the episode book thread but maybe that’s a better place for the questions.

9 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know what shows you're watching, but I'm interested in perviouslies for sure. 

The previouslies went all the way back to when Claire was preparing to leave. They showed the quick scene of Claire telling Brianna that all the assets had been transferred to her name. 

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know what shows you're watching, but I'm interested in perviouslies for sure. 

OMG😳 I posted this on my stupid phone which I clearly have not mastered.   

(edited)
On 7/13/2023 at 2:31 PM, TV Anonymous said:

I am completely confused with this episode and the one before in regards to Roger and Brianna.

How did they know that they needed to go to Scotland to retrieve the chest?

We saw the chest being delivered to Fiona's home at the beginning of the episode. She obviously contacted them and asked them to come. The bank would have had instructions to deliver it on a certain date.

On 7/13/2023 at 2:31 PM, TV Anonymous said:

And then there is the logistics of Rogers and Brianna in the 20th century. How did they go from near Wilmington to Boston? Did they have modern money? What about their assets in Boston? Did they still have bank accounts and home after disappeared for at least 7 years? And the be really realistic, how did they get the birth certificates and SSNs for Jem and Mandy?

The bank accounts were mentioned in the episode. People explained in the thread for the previous episode how it would be relatively easy to get birth certificates and SSNs for Jemmy and Mandy in that decade.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
11 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

The bank would have had instructions to deliver it at on a certain date.

Alright, much of suspension of disbelief here, that the bank had such excellent record keeping system that it was able to execute a specific instructions after almost 2 hundred years and after two world wars, and they still honored the monthly vault rent payment from then. However, for a show about time travel this should be expected, I suppose.

• Like 1