Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Hanna

oompa
  • Start Topic

Overall enjoyed the episode. Having now caught up and passed the show in the book, I am interested to see how they are going to tie it all together and get us to the finale. Right now the book and show are taking quite different paths.

(edited)

Good episode. But are they doing another protagonist switcheroo (my bets would be on Lucas)? Not a fan.

Well, maybe Jules had a trick up her sleeve...

Edited by ofmd

Good episode. I teared up when Juliet let her guard down, said she believed her dad and hugged him. I knew Tim Robbins was in on it. He will always be creepy to me.

My one criticism of this show is it isn't good at showing the passage of time. There were three years between Rashida Jones going out to clean and her husband doing the same when it seemed only like maybe a few months. They mentioned it had been a year since George was murdered and that only seemed like a few days. In this episode they mentioned Juliet had only been sheriff for a week when that seemed like several months. Not sure how they can remedy that. If they slow it down (which I'm fine with), I'm sure even more people would complain about the pacing.

This show is on pace with typical climax/resolution plots for tv with two episodes left. Looking forward to see how they end it which I'm sure will be a cliff hanger, but there can still be a sense of some resolution/satisfaction even with cliff hanger endings if they do it right.

This show is my favorite show on tv right now. I'm going to try to convince my husband to watch it so I can rewatch it after the season ends. I'd love to pick up more hints/easter eggs on rewatch.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

864FC528-E988-46FE-9F6C-6FC5E11AD02D.thumb.jpeg.76e76c540a6b77a20ecd4d643aac4dd7.jpeg

According to IMDB there are 11 episodes for this season. It has been renewed for a second season. 

If you click on the episode link, it shows two remaining episodes in season 1 and an episode listed for season 2 which is the 11 episode total.

Capture.JPG.d23798679b53b53bd0024ae155a989f1.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.9e93ce13a705f2ddd7f7f8e54e01b54d.JPG

It also shows season 2, episode 1 being available today which I'm guessing is a typo.

• Useful 4
12 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

If you click on the episode link, it shows two remaining episodes in season 1 and an episode listed for season 2 which is the 11 episode total.

Capture.JPG.d23798679b53b53bd0024ae155a989f1.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.9e93ce13a705f2ddd7f7f8e54e01b54d.JPG

It also shows season 2, episode 1 being available today which I'm guessing is a typo.

Thank you for the correction. 

• Like 2

I hope Juliette is good at parkour cause otherwise her jump does not make sense (the hard disk would crash with her)

I knew Bernard was behind all this, but I don't really get why, what is their reasoning. 

And why Juliette wasn't restrained when they were going up the stairs?

Sims is such a creep....

So the Rebellion was ignited by the lower levels..that makes sense.

"Young" Iain Glen reminded me of Bryan Cranston

True MVP of the episode was the rabbit.

• Like 4

I think if she escaped, which is likely, she'll get caught and go clean.

Of course my theory is that the cleaners don't really die, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

• Like 6

I'm a little confused about all the subterfuge. Leading Jules out into the cornfield in order to confront her seemed unnecessarily melodramatic. The Mayor and Sims could have simply disappeared her. Actually parading her up the stairs in front of everyone was unnecessarily risky. I'm not clear on who released Sims from jail either. I assume it was the Mayor but I don't know why Sims went along with the charade in the first place. And if the Mayor just barged into the Sheriff's station and demanded Sims' release he has revealed himself to all the other cops as the real power behind the throne, so to speak. 

I don't get why microscopes are illegal in the Silo either, but I guess that's part of the overall mystery.

If they don't give us some big answers by the end of this season I'm going to look up book summaries and spoil myself. I'm not going to spend the next year scratching my head wondering what's going on, waiting for another season that still might not answer any questions.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

'm a little confused about all the subterfuge. Leading Jules out into the cornfield in order to confront her seemed unnecessarily melodramatic. The Mayor and Sims could have simply disappeared her.

They wanted to confront her in  a rather isolated place and check if she had the hard disk with her. Their initial plan was for Jules to trust the mayor and give him the disk, but he spoiled it. Plus running in a cornfield looks so dramatic, doesn't ?

• Like 5

I was presuming that microscopes are outlawed like telescopes because if you can see the outside (stars) or possibly bloodwork for diseases and such, it would muck up the mechanisms of how the Pact and Silo work. 

On 6/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, iMonrey said:

I don't get why microscopes are illegal in the Silo either, but I guess that's part of the overall mystery.

I can't remember which episode it was, but they mentioned that smaller microchips on an item meant the item was from the "before times". I think it might have been in reference to the cam corder George left for Juliet. In that same conversation, they mentioned that using microscopes past a certain multiplier allows them to read the words on the chips which is outlawed. Now that I'm typing it out I'm pretty sure it was between Juliet and the agoraphobic lady (Don't know her name). Because immediately after they discussed Juliet's mom's forbidden microscope for the first time.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Oh my God, the writing on this show is so damn hackneyed. Everyone's sentences end in an exclamation point.

Like, is Juliette REALLY surprised when obviously, openly bad Mayor Tim Robbins is bad? When Sim, who has openly been corrupt and capable of anything, is bad?

Everything is so obvious. Why is Juliette shocked that the authoritarian corrupt secret officials are spying on everyone? Of course they are! Why is Juliette shocked when they toss her office for evidence? Of course they are! She is an open fugitive! She hasn't been remotely secretive about her investigation! Etc. Why is Juliette just strolling back into her office with zero attempt at quiet or secrecy, despite the fact that she knows they know she knows about them? Gah.

What cracked me up this episode is so many people going, "Sims can't be bad! There's no way!" And I'm over here going, "WTF?! He is openly, unapologetically evil and corrupt and hasn't even bothered to pretend otherwise!" It's hilarious. Especially given that Common is playing Sims like a Marvel supervillain in every scene.

The dialogue is the same way. Like when the deputy and his (terribly acted) wife are talking, and she says (paraphrased):

Wife (overacting like her life depends on it): I'm scared! Everyone says the new sheriff is evil! And is going to lead us into a new rebellion!
Deputy: What?! Why?!
Wife: Well, um, there have been so many deaths! And stuff! It has to be her fault!

I mean, it has been established that Juliette was kind of famous for working down with the generator and not caring what people thought, or being political. It's also established that she could really not have been involved in any of the deaths of the Mayor or former Deputy, and was brought in against her own will (she wasn't silent about that).

The scene with the rabbit is another good example -- I found it so hard to believe the whole "open-heart surgery on a rabbit" scene, much less that Juliette was all rapt and giddy while her mom was slicing it open. I could see the child being interested, but she just came off like a psychopath to me.

But hey, super-cute rabbit. Glad it lived.

The writing -- I just can't get past how bad the dialogue is. It almost feels like it was written in another language and then translated into English.

It seems like most people really like the show, so I'm trying to hang in there. For me it's pretty bad. I just don't buy into it. I don't find the world believable or well-built. So I'm bummed. Maybe the revelation of what the heck is going on will make all this worth it.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:58 AM, Catfi9ht said:

My one criticism of this show is it isn't good at showing the passage of time. There were three years between Rashida Jones going out to clean and her husband doing the same when it seemed only like maybe a few months. They mentioned it had been a year since George was murdered and that only seemed like a few days. In this episode they mentioned Juliet had only been sheriff for a week when that seemed like several months.

This is another part of my issue with the show's writing and pacing. There is no sense of the passage of time for me at all. It's my main complaint. The dialogue is used to explain everything. And it feels false and clumsy. So we get lots of scenes with someone going, "He's been dead for a year!" etc.

I wish I liked the show as much as you and others do. I think it's pretty bad, although it has nice production design and a decent leading cast (who have all done better work elsewhere)

On 6/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, iMonrey said:

I'm a little confused about all the subterfuge. Leading Jules out into the cornfield in order to confront her seemed unnecessarily melodramatic. The Mayor and Sims could have simply disappeared her. Actually parading her up the stairs in front of everyone was unnecessarily risky. I'm not clear on who released Sims from jail either. I assume it was the Mayor but I don't know why Sims went along with the charade in the first place. And if the Mayor just barged into the Sheriff's station and demanded Sims' release he has revealed himself to all the other cops as the real power behind the throne, so to speak. 

THANK. YOU. The show keeps acting like the bad guys are being super-sneaky and secretive, when to me they are all being hilariously cartoonish and obvious. 

They keep alternating between "we must keep this secret!" and then doing stuff like you describe -- all out in the open, blatantly obvious.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:51 PM, Zaffy said:

They wanted to confront her in  a rather isolated place and check if she had the hard disk with her. Their initial plan was for Jules to trust the mayor and give him the disk, but he spoiled it. Plus running in a cornfield looks so dramatic, doesn't ?

But why? They already run and control everything. Why not bring her to his office or some other room, confronting her in an environment he controls? The cornfield just felt unnecessary and ham-handed to me. And to me the drama of the cornfield was spoiled by how fake it looked.

Edited by paramitch
fixed quote
  • Like 1

I don't how Juliette jumped off that ledge and survived. Plot armor FTW.

So are Sims and his wife part of the resistance? Seems like they're living some kind of double life. Clearly their son doesn't know but I guess it would be dangerous for them if he did.

When I was watching this episode I learned the series had been renewed for a second season. I was both glad and disappointed. A second season means Juliette isn't going to win--not yet, anyway. But it's a high-quality series so I'll look forward to seeing more of it. Hopefully the producers will read sites like this one and work on the things many viewers found wrong with the way the first season has been presented.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Hopefully the producers will read sites like this one and work on the things many viewers found wrong with the way the first season has been presented.

This was one of Apple's highest rated series. While any SF based story will have lots of nits to pick (it's the nature of the beast), in general the producers did a great job. I don't see them making changes to mollify viewers.

• Like 3