Type keyword(s) to search

The Color Purple (2023)

starri
  • Start Topic

This looks great. And before you can say “another remake?!” let me remind you that Hairspray was a movie, then a musical, then a musical movie. This is no different.

And maybe this is the chance to correct the mistake (and I’m being generous) the Academy made when it gave all the Oscars the original deserved to Out of Africa.

• Like 12
10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And maybe this is the chance to correct the mistake (and I’m being generous) the Academy made when it gave all the Oscars the original deserved to Out of Africa.

And the nomination Taraji should have gotten for Hidden Figures.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I don't go to movie theaters that often anymore, but I saw this trailer and was like "I know where I'll be that weekend". I know there will be some Oscar wins for this film, if only to make up for the travesty of the shutout for the original. This looks so good.

• Like 4
On 5/26/2023 at 6:03 AM, Spartan Girl said:

This looks great. And before you can say “another remake?!” let me remind you that Hairspray was a movie, then a musical, then a musical movie. This is no different.

Out of Africa was also very good. 

• Like 2

Christmas Day?  Why do we have to wait so long?  And anyway shouldn't people be celebrating Christmas by spending together time face to face with their families who they've been complaining they haven't seen for so long and it's such a pain to travel and Covid and blah blah blah.  Bah humbug.  Just give me a decent movie right now.  Blegh.  Sorry.

• Like 1

I saw this yesterday.  It was nicely done.  Everyone just completely knocked it out of the park.  I did feel like it was a softer version compared with the original, but that is likely the effect of making it a musical.  With the addition of songs, some other things seemed to be smoothed out or compressed.  At the same time, other things that were only implied in the original were made 100% clear in this one.

• Like 7

I saw this on Christmas day and enjoyed it. The cast did a great job! My theater was full and applauded when Fantasia tore the roof off the place with her rendition of I'm Here. I had to remind myself that this movie was based on the play and not the 1985 movie. I hope this version gets the awards love the original did not receive.

• Like 8

The Best Cinematography of 2023
BY JIM HEMPHILL   DECEMBER 18, 2023
https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-cinematography-of-2023/ 

"The Color Purple"
For sheer visual beauty it’s tough to beat cinematographer Dan Laustsen’s achievement in “The Color Purple,” a film drenched in glowing, enchanting light from beginning to end. Laustsen conveys heroine Celie’s spiritual awakening through a visual style that awakens the audience’s eyes and spirit as well, working in close collaboration with director Blitz Bazawule and the film’s other department heads to create a fully integrated symphony of light, color, and movement. The non-musical scenes are as elegantly choreographed as the dance sequences, and Laustsen’s camera moves and lighting cues dance with the actors in a manner that both invites and earns comparison with the classic musicals of Stanley Donen and Vincente Minnelli. Yet Lauststen is beholden to no one in his approach, taking off in his own highly original directions to find imagery that encompasses the entire emotional spectrum of human experience but ultimately leaves the audience feeling as inspired and liberated as Celie herself. —Jim Hemphill

I loved it, but it was really difficult not to compare it to the original movie, particularly the most climatic scenes. Everyone knocked it out of the park though: Fantasia, Taraji, Danielle, HER, Halle…they BETTER get more recognition from the Oscars!

My only real complaint is that I really didn’t find it believable that Celie and Albert would ever wind up friends after everything he did to her. I don’t care if that’s how it happens in the novel, it just never sat right by me. 

• Like 6

I liked it. I don't remember enough of the first film to really compare. I hated that mayor's wife who got Sophia put in prison and then forced to be her maid. I wanted that woman to suffer a comeuppance.

There was romance and love, though. Shug and Celie not only kissed, they had a couple of songs and even slept together at the house while Mister (Albert) was passed out at the juke joint. I'm not sure how I feel about his redemption, but the movie made reference to how Albert had been bullied by his father, forced to stay at the farm instead of be with Shug, and that in turn he took out his rage on Celie. That's not really an excuse, and I wonder how much he must have abused his first wife. But I guess it explains why Shug liked Albert initially and even viewed him with pity. I'm glad she kept her promise to come back and rescue Celie eventually.

Albert did do a grand gesture at least, in helping bring Nettie and family home from Africa. What ever happened to the missionaries that adopted those kids, though?

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, Cress said:

Albert did do a grand gesture at least, in helping bring Nettie and family home from Africa. What ever happened to the missionaries that adopted those kids, though?

The wife died and her husband married Nettie. That was how it happened in the book, and the Spielberg movie alluded to that.

52 minutes ago, Cress said:

I'm not sure how I feel about his redemption, but the movie made reference to how Albert had been bullied by his father, forced to stay at the farm instead of be with Shug, and that in turn he took out his rage on Celie. That's not really an excuse, and I wonder how much he must have abused his first wife. But I guess it explains why Shug liked Albert initially and even viewed him with pity.

All that was in the Spielberg movie too, the only difference was that Celie and Albert weren’t friends afterward. In fact, nobody except Shug ever knew that Albert brought Nettie and the kids home—which IMO worked better for Albert’s redemption. He did the right thing without getting anything out of it.

• Like 2

The Color Purple got 1 nomination for 2024 Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards...

Nominations Announced for 11th Annual Guild Awards
IATSE Local 706    January 2, 2024
https://local706.org/nominations-for-11th-annual-guild-awards/

The Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild has announced nominations for the 2024 MUAHS Guild Awards. Winners will be honored at the awards gala, presented by Ardell, on Sunday, February 18, 2024 at Fairmont Century Plaza, Los Angeles, CA. The MUAHS Awards represent a spectrum of outstanding achievements in 23 categories of make-up and hair styling artistry in motion pictures, television, commercials, music videos and live theater. The announcement was made by Julie Socash, IATSE Local 706 President.

• Useful 1
On 1/2/2024 at 10:10 AM, Spartan Girl said:

The wife died and her husband married Nettie. That was how it happened in the book, and the Spielberg movie alluded to that.

Oh I see. Did the husband come back to meet Celie too?

2 hours ago, Cress said:

Oh I see. Did the husband come back to meet Celie too?

I think he was there at the end, but the focus was on Nettie, Adam, Olivia, and Tashi (Adam’s wife).

(edited)

The Color Purple won a major category of the Astra Awards, which were previously known as the HCA Awards (after the Hollywood Critics Association rebranded itself as the Hollywood Creative Alliance)...

‘Barbie’ Wins 8 Astra Awards from Hollywood Creative Alliance (HCA)
Erik Anderson January 6, 2024 
https://awardswatch.com/barbie-wins-8-astra-awards-from-hollywood-creative-alliance-hca/ 

Best Cast Ensemble: “The Color Purple” (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Edited by tv echo

The Color Purple got 2 nominations for SAG Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 30th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®
The SAG Awards® Ceremony will Stream Live Globally Saturday, Feb. 24 Only on Netflix

January 10, 2024
https://www.sagawards.org/media/news/releases/nominations-announced-30th-annual-screen-actors-guild-awardsr

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role 
EMILY BLUNT / Kitty Oppenheimer - "OPPENHEIMER" 
DANIELLE BROOKS / Sofia - "THE COLOR PURPLE" 
PENÉLOPE CRUZ / Laura Ferrari - "FERRARI" 
JODIE FOSTER / Bonnie Stoll - "NYAD" 
DA’VINE JOY RANDOLPH / Mary Lamb - "THE HOLDOVERS"
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture 
AMERICAN FICTION ...
BARBIE ...
THE COLOR PURPLE ...
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON ...
OPPENHEIMER ...

The Color Purple got an Artios Award nomination (winners announced Mar. 7)...

Casting Society Artios Awards: ‘Barbie,’ ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ and ‘Oppenheimer’ Among Nominees
BY TYLER COATES    JANUARY 12, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-artios-awards-movie-nominations-list-1235786254/

FEATURE BIG BUDGET – DRAMA
The Color Purple (Warner Bros.): Bernard Telsey, Tiffany Little Canfield, Destiny Lilly
Maestro (Netflix): Shayna Markowitz, Dayna Katz (Associate Casting Director)
Killers of the Flower Moon (Apple): Ellen Lewis, Rene Haynes, Kate Sprance (Associate Casting Director)
Oppenheimer (Universal): John Papsidera
Saltburn (Amazon Studios): Kharmel Cochrane

The Color Purple got 2 nominations for 2024 BAFTA Film Awards...

BAFTA Film Awards Nominations: ‘Oppenheimer’ and ‘Poor Things’ Lead as ‘Barbie’ Falls Short
By Alex Ritman, Ellise Shafer   Jan 18, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/awards/global/bafta-film-awards-nominations-2024-1235876088/ 

The BAFTA Film Awards ceremony takes place Feb. 18 from London’s Royal Festival Hall, with “Doctor Who” star David Tennant hosting.

The Color Purple got 1 nomination for Oscar Awards...

Oscar nominations 2024: See the full list
By Lisa Respers France    January 23, 2024
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2024/index.html 

The Oscars will take place on March 10, hosted for a fourth time by Jimmy Kimmel.
Best actress in a supporting role
Emily Blunt, “Oppenheimer”
Danielle Brooks, “The Color Purple”
America Ferrera, “Barbie”
Jodie Foster, “Nyad”
Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers”

• Angry 1
On 1/23/2024 at 9:06 AM, tv echo said:

The Color Purple got 1 nomination for Oscar Awards...

Oscar nominations 2024: See the full list
By Lisa Respers France    January 23, 2024
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2024/index.html 

I just watched this last night. How this film only received 1 nomination while the total snooze that was Maestro (which I watched immediately afterward) received a truckload is beyond me. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Creating The Color Purple (2023): A Bold New Take on the Beloved Classic | Warner Bros. Ent.
Warner Bros. Entertainment   Mar 8, 2024