Type keyword(s) to search

The Full Monty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love the original film, which I probably saw 15 times during its theatrical run (wellll…I took a lot of people who hadn’t seen it yet.  To explain the 3-act structure).  It’s a story that could so easily have been dark and depressing (the following issues are woven through the script: unemployment, child custody, divorce, suicide, money problems).  But it wasn’t.  There was joy and laughter and a quick, easy camaraderie among the men involved.

And that last scene in the strip club?  If it’s possible to cry, laugh, and shriek at the same time: I did it.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
On 5/17/2023 at 10:42 PM, voiceover said:

I love the original film, which I probably saw 15 times during its theatrical run (wellll…I took a lot of people who hadn’t seen it yet.  To explain the 3-act structure).  It’s a story that could so easily have been dark and depressing (the following issues are woven through the script: unemployment, child custody, divorce, suicide, money problems).  But it wasn’t.  There was joy and laughter and a quick, easy camaraderie among the men involved.

And that last scene in the strip club?  If it’s possible to cry, laugh, and shriek at the same time: I did it.

I remember having to rewind that last strip club scene to watch it again. 

37 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember having to rewind that last strip club scene to watch it again. 

Well, let’s face it: it was the 1000-piece puzzle of strip club scenes 🤣

• LOL 4

Watched them, but can honestly say it was nowhere near as good as the original film. I felt it didn't have the original humour that the film had, even though it was dealing with the same issues. 

The sudden disappearance of Guy was never explained (even though we know he was fired from the show for inappropriate behaviour) and him not showing up for the final scene of 

Spoiler

Horses funeral was just odd, especially as they had been friends for over 25 years.

Overall I will give the series a 2.5 out for 5 stars

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Can anyone tell me did Disney+ drop all the episodes or are they doing them on a weekly bases?

I'm in Canada and we don't get Hulu.

Thanks

They show as all available to me, yes.

• Like 1

I've only seen Ep. 1 Levelling Up so far.  I really like Mark Addy who plays Dave and Robert Carlyle as Gaz, although I thought Carlyle was miscast as Hamish Macbeth in the TV series of the same name.  I was uncomfortable with the scenes with Gaz and the BGT dog Chelsea toward the end.

• Like 2

It was..ok.

Too many stories going on in a limited episode series. I hate that. 

Dave/Jean: I hated the fact that Jean cheated on Dave especially with the first movie of her worrying that Dave was cheating on her. I loved Dave's relationship with that young man and wished that they had made him an orphan living in foster care so that he and Jean could have adopted him.  Also Jean going after the head teacher job and Drippy Dipli to screw over her friend.\

Darren: Nice addition to the guys since they had to limit Guy's appearances.  The storyline with the Kurdish woman and her son was nicely done. 

Gaz/Destiny/Nathan: Gaz will always be Gaz.  Nice to see Nathan and not surprised he turned out to be an upstanding citizen. I thought i was going to hate the whole Destiny character but she was surprisingly decent. Not sure why she didn't record the bum her mother was seeing stealing the twin's lunch money or how he would act around her. I mean comeon, she gen Z. They live being recorded 24/7.  But again, too many storylines with her character - the music thing, the relationship with her parents, the mom's mean boyfriend, her relationship with the other girl, stealing the dog and car.... 

Horse: Poor guy.  Again, no one in the group couldn't find poor guy a job? The funeral scene was sad. But good commentary on how that generation is falling through the gaps and social services had him "fit for work" when the poor guy couldn't walk or do much.

Loomper:  At first I thought Dennis was Guy.  So Loomper moved on and met Dennis.  But what the heck, spending 70,000 pounds on pigeons?! Then saying that he wanted to be seen by his husband? Geez writers - get a better storyline.  The Korean guy that was added in the last couple episodes was an interesting addition but really not necessary.  Just overdid it.

Guy:  So i know he was limited in the series because of inappropriateness.  But they really dropped the story and dropped an opportunity of Allison (i think that was her name) moving in with Loomper and Dennis and having them help her raise the baby.  Also what an ass for the way he shortchanged the school.

All in all. I loved the movie but the series was a 6/10.  Oh the kid that was Destiny's guy friend. He really reminded me of the "wee English boy" in Derry Girls.

• Like 1

I echo what scruff and Greek mom said. One other thing that really bugged me: Horse had family. In the movie, they were the audience for the rehearsal. I guess he could've fallen out with them, but they could've said that.

• Like 1

I found this unwatchable; made it halfway through the first episode and quit. Prefer to remember them all as the younger lads they were in the original movie, a movie that somehow managed to deal with tough issues but still maintain its joy and hope. Saw none of that in the brief moments of this new show I watched. Nope I won’t ruin the original by watching this. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/20/2023 at 6:26 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I actually did slog through this Extravaganza of Misery and there was no hope or joy.

The only people who got any hope or joy were the new characters, namely Destiny and Darren. I don't care about them.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeonly lady, but the choir Destiny (and Darren?) were part of at school annoyed me with the angry curse words lyrics.  Is that a thing?  The one time that Jeanne told off the teacher, her friend Hetty, was one time she got it right.  IMHO. 😄

• Like 1

This was freaking dreadful. I stayed for Mark Addy, because I like him, but jesus... what the hell was this? 

They had some potentially interesting issues that could've been tackled, but they're all happening on the sidelines of our main crew here and in a way they are all used to keep the main gang more depressed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1