Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: A Humbling Blues

• Start Topic

The team faces unexpected challenges while investigating the murder of a homeless man; Haywood and Dryden hit a speed bump in their relationship; Quinlan struggles with a decision at Ruskin Gardens.

Airdate: 05/7/2023

That is a good story involving the housing project and the homeless guy.  I can really do without the undercover copy and his relationship with Regina.  Oh, he lied.  Why bother us with this?  To show how hard it is to work undercover? 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

That is a good story involving the housing project and the homeless guy.  I can really do without the undercover copy and his relationship with Regina.  Oh, he lied.  Why bother us with this?  To show how hard it is to work undercover? 

I guess someone decided Regina would have a romantic interest arc that was to last a specific number of episodes, probably because this is the first season, and they didn't want to tie down her character. 

• Like 2

But she said she didn't want to break up because he lied, but because -- like her father -- he wouldn't be able to spend enough time with his daughter because he had a relationship with someone other than the mother of the child.   (I do agree with shapeshifter that this was the lame excuse they had her give because the arc had ended its planned run.)

At any rate, none of it matters, because I just read the show has been cancelled.  I like it and hope one of the cable channels will pick it up.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I hope so too. A lot of the season-long arcs were paying off.

Bentley and Brandy racing out of the buildings as the shooting went down was heart-stopping. And Brandy, at least, showed that she'd become a part of the community, and that the pilot project that put her there was working.

(And the two of them work better as friends)

The rookie cops showed that the Academy was not sending its best to East New York. I kept expecting Dempsey to bust out with something racist.

They were also setting up the show for a season of a mayoral campaign, and Jimmy Smits was playing a long game...though you couldn't tell whether he knew it himself.

The story about the homeless guy's murder was sad and well done, and Killian was not an asshole.

Come back, show!

Not just because you're an interesting police procedural, but because you create hundreds of jobs for New Yorkers.

• Like 7

I really like this show a lot, but everything about Regina's personal life (her angst about her father, her relationship with undercover cop) seemed really out of step with the rest of the show and I hated every second of it. They made her seem like some emo teenager, not a strong, empowered person like she is otherwise characterized as being. 

I'm really sad about the cancellation. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, kwnyc said:

The rookie cops showed that the Academy was not sending its best to East New York

Oh, so that’s what all that nonsense was about!
The young TikTok Cop was just a cliché.  
Racist Rookie seems like he’s likely to get himself or his partner(s) killed if he doesn’t get with the partner program.

• Like 4
(edited)

Ahh no, not Ingrid! I should’ve known this is coming when they introduce Lorenzo’s daughter.

This the 2nd story in ENY involving a homeless community, right? Rusty was well loved by his community but misunderstood by his own mother.

What was Capt. Yenko thinking when he decided to experiment with the new rookies’ assignment? That male new rookie totally has a serial killer vibe especially with those creepy eyes.

Sean oh Sean… you know Regina has trust issues. Why would you keep a secret that big from her? I don’t like seeing angry and hurtful Regina. 

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 4
On 5/9/2023 at 12:36 AM, possibilities said:

but everything about Regina's personal life (her angst about her father, her relationship with undercover cop) seemed really out of step with the rest of the show and I hated every second of it. They made her seem like some emo teenager, not a strong, empowered person like she is otherwise characterized as being. 

This, Really annoyed me.  She's not some 20 year old right out of college, she's going to meet men with some baggage.  And what is he supposed to, become a monk because he has a daughter?  its not like she' coming between an intact family, that I would understand. He's going to be a single father regardless of who he's dating.  Just really stupid and not in keeping with her character at all.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 5/9/2023 at 11:47 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

I was just smiling when Sandeford was talking about Homicide: Life On The Street! Yes, that was still the best cop show ever made, hands down. 

I loved that show! His comments make me want to watch the whole thing again. 

I didn’t understand why Regina had to break up with the guy because he has a daughter. Yes, I know he didn’t tell her but I still don’t get it. I also was confused about a three year-old calling her dad. Wouldn’t his ex being calling him and giving the phone to his daughter? It’s weird that he’s stored the contact as his daughter’s name. It seemed like weak writing to manipulate us into thinking he was having an affair. 

I didn’t realize the show had been canceled. Bummer!

Edited by Sweet-tea