Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Freedom Day

oompa
  • Start Topic

Air Date: May 5, 2023

Sheriff Becker's plans for the future are thrown off course after his wife meets a hacker with information about the silo.

This episode is the only one I’ve seen. Other than knowing this was based on the Wool book series (I just finished Wool), I hadn’t looked any further into it in regards to cast, etc. All of the advertisements I’ve seen (literally only pictures) really focus on Allison and Sheriff Holston. 

Liked seeing the interpretation of the Silo. In my imagination it was VERY different. More closed-off and not so open. 

I’m wondering what others who maybe didn’t read the books think of this first episode. I obviously know where the story is going, so I have a different perspective. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Why does Apple spend a zillion dollars on these shows and not promote them? Ted Lasso and Severence are two of the only Apple shows that seem to have gained any traction in the larger pop culture zeitgeist.

Apple is out HBOing HBO with the high concept Sci-Fi: Silo, Severence, Foundation, For All Mankind, Extrapolations and a couple I haven’t even watched.

And why is Apple the only streaming service I can’t play through Fibe TV? I am watching this on my Desktop.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
(edited)

Dystopias are fun to watch as long as we don’t have to live in one. Perhaps this is one of the many reasons why Extrapolations wasn’t a huge hit, it is too close to our real world.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 5/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, marinw said:

Why does Apple spend a zillion dollars on these shows and not promote them?

...Apple is out HBOing HBO with the high concept Sci-Fi: Silo, Severence, Foundation, For All Mankind, Extrapolations and a couple I haven’t even watched.

Questions to be answered! I've only watched Foundations in addition to this show, so now I'm interested in these other shows. I wonder how much of this is lower subscriber numbers compared to the other streaming services.  I don't have Netflix, but it feels like more of their shows generate social media buzz. 

I haven't read the books.  I am intrigued yet kind of skeptical.  Looking to see where this goes, although I have my theories. We learned about George's fate, but I don't think they mentioned if Gloria was still alive?

I suspected Allison's birth control wasn't actually removed in their earlier doc appointment.  I know this is a different world, but I immediately called BS on the simple extraction of that metal birth control contraption.  

The cleaning spectacle was interesting because the people inside seemed invested in her survival. That I didn't quite expect. 

• Like 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

so now I'm interested in these other shows

If you like your Science Fiction "Hard", start with For All Mankind. The fact that Apple is a bit of a Walled Garden in terms of access may be affecting their subscriptions. Also, it is impossible to share you subscription. I've tried.

The price is only $90 Canadian a year (not sure the US Price), which makes it much cheaper than Netflix. 

Edited by marinw
On 5/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Whimsy said:

This episode is the only one I’ve seen. Other than knowing this was based on the Wool book series (I just finished Wool), I hadn’t looked any further into it in regards to cast, etc. All of the advertisements I’ve seen (literally only pictures) really focus on Allison and Sheriff Holston. 

Liked seeing the interpretation of the Silo. In my imagination it was VERY different. More closed-off and not so open. 

I’m wondering what others who maybe didn’t read the books think of this first episode. I obviously know where the story is going, so I have a different perspective. 

Yes I certainly thought it was more a submarine and less of a mall. 

• Like 1
On 5/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, Whimsy said:

I read the series (a long time ago now) so I only remembered the rough outline. I loved the Silo's design, in some ways more and less grim than I'd pictured. The cleaning was pretty much how I imagined it.

11 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I suspected Allison's birth control wasn't actually removed in their earlier doc appointment.  I know this is a different world, but I immediately called BS on the simple extraction of that metal birth control contraption.

It certainly was a bit bigger than current IUDs.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/17/2023 at 6:52 PM, BeckyThatcher said:

Fascinating first episode. I was distracted pondering “why no elevators?” until we see the dismal generator for the entire silo! 

I won’t spoil it by saying why, but the books give a different reason.

• Useful 3
12 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I won’t spoil it by saying why, but the books give a different reason.

I've long since forgotten any details about the books. So thankfully, I won't be potentially spoiling anything. I just know that the Silo looks somewhat how I visualized it - so I really like the design.

• Like 1

I haven't read the books yet though now that I've finished the first season I'm about to. Anyway, I didn't binge Silo but made notes as I went along.

For the first episode: fantastic production values. The theme song and opening credits are reminiscent of Westworld's. Same ethereal quality.

I've been intrigued by the comparison of this show to other series. I've never watched the Snowpiercer TV series but right off the bat Silo made me think of the Snowpiercer movie. I also found it similar in some ways to J.G. Ballard's novel, High Rise, which deals with another kind of enclosed, vertical, socially stratified society.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 2

“They” decide who gets a sanctioned marriage and who gets to have a child.  And the opening credits turn the staircase into a dna strand.  Is someone running a breeding program?

• Like 1