Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Art of the Steel

• Start Topic

Daphne tries to use Charlie to help Patrick get out of jail. Elsewhere, Emma partners with Birdie when Leo gathers his old friends around to con a man who lost their pensions years ago.

Airing April 16, 2023

Next New Episode: April 30, 2023       
Timothy V. Murphy as Patrick Maguire
Andrea Cortés as Jennifer West
Essence Atkins as Prostitute she played a prostitute in a previous episode, looks like she is a different character this episode
T.K. Carter as ex-steel worker
Matthew Glave as financial manager
Kim Estes as judge 
C80E4E47-18C5-419A-A417-25BBF429ABD7.jpe

Not a bad episode, Birdie has more sexual chemistry with Emma than Charlie does.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • LOL 1

See, I think Emma and Charlie have amazing chemistry.

I just caught up on all the episodes before last night's show and the dad was kind of a dumb ass with the watch. And do all their friends know they're con men? Just seems a little weird they were all up for helping pull the job and no one has any questions/confusion about how they know how to do this. 

• Like 6

I LOVED that Birdie kept calling Emma on her self-righteous attitude.  I mean, have the family work for you as assets or don't, but I see no point in making snide comments every time you're interacting with them.  

I also had a problem with Charlie blaming Leo for the con artist life.  Dude, you are 40 years old, not some teenager just starting adulthood.  If you really wanted out, you could have gotten out.  Not saying it would have been easy to put some distance between him and family, but people manage to do it everyday. 

It was nice seeing Emma's family again.  The brother is a hottie. 

2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

And do all their friends know they're con men? Just seems a little weird they were all up for helping pull the job and no one has any questions/confusion about how they know how to do this. 

We've seen Essence Atkins (Shelby) before - I think she helped them with a job in the 1st episode.  I think it was Fran who mentioned that none of the steel mill workers have worked in 20 years (which I found hard to believe), so maybe they were just keen for any bit of work.  Especially if it was to stick it to the guy responsible for their lost pensions.  Or maybe they've been sharing the wealth from their cons with their friends?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

It was nice seeing Emma's family again.  The brother is a hottie. 

He is. I'm not convinced of his new girlfriend's motives. I think she's a honeypot. Even though she offered to quit his campaign, she's going to have even more access to his life and his work as his girlfriend. She can do more damage to the family that way.

I'm not sure if Daphne's father is playing her or his son. Either way, the son's going down because Daphne has had enough of his smug ass. If the father is playing her, he might be going down, too.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I'm not sure if Daphne's father is playing her or his son. Either way, the son's going down because Daphne has had enough of his smug ass. If the father is playing her, he might be going down, too.

I'm not sure either, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Patrick and the asshole brother are going to try to take over all Daphne's work now and then try to kill her off, and she'll go to Charlie- or Charlie will know because Patrick seems like the sort of asshole who only thinks men are worthy in his line of work and he'll order Charlie to take her out. I mean, we could all take turns writing this shit...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

And do all their friends know they're con men? Just seems a little weird they were all up for helping pull the job and no one has any questions/confusion about how they know how to do this. 

That was weird. It made me flashback to the long con episodes of The Rockford Files when they auditioned and cast the roles from a large collection of grifter peers only to have ex cellmate Angel almost ruin their jobs.

8 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

He is. I'm not convinced of his new girlfriend's motives. I think she's a honeypot. Even though she offered to quit his campaign, she's going to have even more access to his life and his work as his girlfriend. She can do more damage to the family that way.

I made that assumption in her introduction scene weeks ago.

A couple of scene blocking things had me wondering. Is there some kind of cultural preference of sitting to daddy's left as opposed to the right of his head of table status?

And the arrest of Leo, the cop was there fingering her pistol but then just had him sit in the back unsearched? I was wondering if this was another con crew working its way into the story.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Raja said:

And the arrest of Leo, the cop was there fingering her pistol but then just had him sit in the back unsearched? I was wondering if this was another con crew working its way into the story.

I wondered about this too, but it sounded like Leo was legitimately arrested since Emma got him out.   It was a weird scene.

12 hours ago, gingerella said:

I'm not sure either, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Patrick and the asshole brother are going to try to take over all Daphne's work now and then try to kill her off, and she'll go to Charlie- or Charlie will know because Patrick seems like the sort of asshole who only thinks men are worthy in his line of work and he'll order Charlie to take her out. I mean, we could all take turns writing this shit...

I would not be at all surprised if Daphne is recruited as an asset by Emma. The show backed off of her as the pure antagonist, and the whole "Tell us the details of how you've expanded the business" spiel from Daddy Maguire while Connor looks on smugly is telegraphing them turning on her.  

13 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

True, but I also wonder if David's heart is still in the campaign.  After the "Dad was compromised" reveal, it seemed like he was mainly running for office to continue the family legacy more than wanting to be a public servant. We shall see! 

I don't know what the ratings are, but I can't see the show lasting beyond this season.  The performances are all fine, but the writing and direction seems...lethargic at best. 

• Like 2
On 4/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, Raja said:

A couple of scene blocking things had me wondering. Is there some kind of cultural preference of sitting to daddy's left as opposed to the right of his head of table status?

Daphne wasn’t expecting Connor, so she only set two places at the table.  Daddy took the head and Connor beat her to the other seat, leaving her sitting at her own table without a place setting.  

• Useful 2

The golf con was ridiculous.  Waay too many variables you have no control of.

And when some suckass wants to double or triple the bet all of a sudden, you walk away with his money and wave . . .

Did anyone count how many times they said "Prison Break"?? 🤣👍

• Like 1