Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Company Man

• Start Topic

Charlie becomes Emma’s new CIA asset and is tasked with spying on Daphne while they attend the event together, causing Emma to feel jealous. Later, Leo reveals to Birdie the real reason Simon abandoned her and Ollie.

Airing April 9, 2023

Yale is big enough they might not know Charlie (I'm using character name because I can't remember the name of his alias this episode), because no is going to know everyone in thier own class as well everyone in the years they overlapped. As a sophmore, you might know the junior you had an elective or a required course with, but you are not going to know the entire junior class.

Making him a member of Skull and Bones was going too far. It is a small secret society. If there was anyone there who was also a member of Skull and Bones when he supposedly went there, it would be far too easy for someone to realize that they never saw him before him. 

• Like 1

So I know the end goal is to take down Daphne, but still - having Charlie actually help her secure an arms deal seems like a bad idea? Also, Charlie is so good at this con stuff that he can secure an arms deal. Again, why isn't he using his skills legitimately??

The romance part of the show seems all but dead, and it's bumming me out, because that was one of my main reasons to watch this. (It's TV, so I'm sure they'll re-ignite it somehow.)

However the subplot with Birdie, he ex and Ollie was good. I just wonder how much we'll actually be seeing of Simon.

• Like 6

Geoff Stults is always welcome on my screen.  The man is extremely handsome (and also great at comedy, based on ‘Enlisted,’ which unfortunately, no one watched) - he had some decent drama skills in this episode as well.

I’m getting whiplash from “we’re both going to declare our love for each other, despite knowing each other for all of five minutes” and “I don’t even know you, I’m going to be cold as ice towards you.”  I think the actors have a good deal of chemistry, I don’t think the writing has believably introduced the level of epicness of an epic love affair that the show is trying to sell.

Also, I am going to be extremely nit-picky here and call BS on everyone loving the Negronis Charlie orders for them.  It is an EXTREMELY acquired taste.  Campari is bitter, tart, Citrus-y and sour.  Not everyone is going to like it.  Believe me, I’ve tried to get my friends to like one and, yeah, they were not enjoying it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Geoff Stults is always welcome on my screen.  The man is extremely handsome (and also great at comedy, based on ‘Enlisted,’ which unfortunately, no one watched) - he had some decent drama skills in this episode as well.

I’m getting whiplash from “we’re both going to declare our love for each other, despite knowing each other for all of five minutes” and “I don’t even know you, I’m going to be cold as ice towards you.”  I think the actors have a good deal of chemistry, I don’t think the writing has believably introduced the level of epicness of an epic love affair that the show is trying to sell.

Also, I am going to be extremely nit-picky here and call BS on everyone loving the Negronis Charlie orders for them.  It is an EXTREMELY acquired taste.  Campari is bitter, tart, Citrus-y and sour.  Not everyone is going to like it.  Believe me, I’ve tried to get my friends to like one and, yeah, they were not enjoying it.

I watched Enlisted! I loved that show and still miss it.

I just starting watching this, and have caught up on all available episodes.  Charlie and Emma have chemistry, but this episode kind of sold me on Charlie and Daphne.  Part of the reason I could see them working is because no one's hiding from the other - they know exactly who the other person is. He's known Daphne as long as he's known Emma, so it's not an issue of time spent.  Alas, I know that's not the endgame.

It's why I found the Charlie/Emma ILYs unconvincing - not just because it was so quick, but because they were hiding essential parts of themselves.  Granted, one's work doesn't have to define you, but it's evident that it does for both of them.  Plus, I'm not really interested in Emma being self-righteous and struggling to come to terms with Charlie.  Maybe Charlie's ILY was more authentic he said it knowing she was CIA, but I'm not buying it. 

On 4/10/2023 at 1:53 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Making him a member of Skull and Bones was going too far. It is a small secret society. If there was anyone there who was also a member of Skull and Bones when he supposedly went there, it would be far too easy for someone to realize that they never saw him before him.

I know nothing about Skull and Bones, so I'm sure you're correct.  Still, Milo certainly wears a suit well.  /endshallow

On 4/10/2023 at 3:14 PM, Trini said:

Also, Charlie is so good at this con stuff that he can secure an arms deal. Again, why isn't he using his skills legitimately??

Yeah, I think the show overplayed Charlie's abilities in this one.  Then again, there are real people who have fooled these types, so hey.  

• Like 4
14 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I know nothing about Skull and Bones, so I'm sure you're correct.

S&B is a super secret Yale fraternity that attracts the rich and powerful among the alumni.  They all remember each other through life.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Still, Milo certainly wears a suit well.  /endshallow

If we are going to take a dip in the shallow end of the pool, which I have no strong moral objections to, I think he looks good in suits, but I think he looks better in the tight t-shirts. 

• Like 6
On 4/10/2023 at 4:54 PM, Lethallyfab said:

Not only did I watch Enlisted, I also watched The Finder which I absolutely loved!  I hope they keep his character (because I'm shallow like that).

I saw so much more chemistry and fun interactions between Charlie and Daphne than I ever did between Charlie and Emma.  This is the couple that I want to watch in all of their grifter glory!  I was tiring of the "steal this" episodes and hoping for one more based on grifters and scams (although I do not condone these practices in real life [ahem]).  I also liked not having the angst of the relationship being on opposite sides of the law.

I really respect the actors who have learned sign language for the series.  Kudos to them (and to the story line itself).  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really respect the actors who have learned sign language for the series.  Kudos to them (and to the story line itself).  

I don't know how fluent the actors are in real life (except Shaylee, of course), but I think the show has an ASL coach/consultant. However, I know William Fichtner has played a deaf character and used ASL in a previous role.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

If we are going to take a dip in the shallow end of the pool, which I have no strong moral objections to, I think he looks good in suits, but I think he looks better in the tight t-shirts. 

I support this!

17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I also liked not having the angst of the relationship being on opposite sides of the law.

I know I'm supposed to hand wave this, but the little I know of CIA isn't really law enforcement.  I thought it was more intelligence gathering and espionage, which is just as morally (perhaps legally?) dubious as what Charlie and family does, IMO.  The show could have written Emma as FBI or DEA or hell even DOJ, but I guess it wasn't sophisticated or sexy enough. Or something. But it's all so silly to me. 

17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

This is the couple that I want to watch in all of their grifter glory! 

I mean, they may as well lean into it! 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I know I'm supposed to hand wave this, but the little I know of CIA isn't really law enforcement.  I thought it was more intelligence gathering and espionage, which is just as morally (perhaps legally?) dubious as what Charlie and family does, IMO. 

Emily acting like the CIA is pure White Hats has been one of the absolute dumbest things on this series so far. It's been close to 50 years since the Church Commission. No one entering the CIA in the 21st Century can possibly think the CIA is pure good and never does anything that is questionable to order to accomplish the goals of the mission/operation. 

• Like 4