Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Rehearsal

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

One thing that always amazes me is how many people stand to get filthy rich when a company like Waystar sells. Logan, all the kids, Marcia, Connor's mom, all the board members, etc. It's no surprise that everyone gets so anxious when a deal like this is in the works. 

Yes, the kids could take their money and all take separate planes to different locations and never see Logan (or each other) again, but the money isn't the point. They've always been rich, always will be, and they don't have any good ideas of their own. Sparring with Logan is all they have, and once he's gone, there will be a massive void in their lives.

• Like 5

Would be a lot easier to walk away with all the money and not deal with the emotional abuse.

that is what a lot of children born into very great wealth do, extricate themselves from the family business and the family, out of guilt or alienated from their family in some other way.  Some try to do good things, philanthropy, volunteer, taking up some causes.

others just spend the money and live well.

these kids though see their worth and self esteem in being as successful or even more than their father.  They really don’t have a strategy they’re confident in.  They’re smart but they’ve never worked with risk of failing and not having anything.  Kendall has ideas but not really a unique insight or business plan.  That is why they toss ideas around about the Hundred or Pierce.

they have no plan.

yet they are invested in beinG players, eitHer with their inheritance or as part of the family company.

• Like 4
(edited)

Before the show continues, I really want to understand the business end of what the kids are trying to do for clarity:

The siblings outbid their dad for Nan's company just to stick it to him and their bid won, but they overspent and they know it...also, now that they own the company, they either don't know what to do with it and/or they really don't want it.

In order to purchase the company they don't really want, they need to get their money out of Waystar, which is being bought by GoJo (Mattson).  If that deal falls through, the kids won't have the money to buy their new toy, so Shiv (with Sandi) and Kendall (with Stewy) want to force Logan to ask Mattson for more money, knowing that Mattson might walk away and the entire thing will collapse.

Am I close?  What I struggle with is, what happens if Mattson does walk - aren't they still on the hook for the 10 bil they promised to Nan?  Or have they not signed on the dotted line yet?  I feel like Kendall and Shiv are playing with fire but maybe I'm wrong, although Logan did say that his kids weren't serious people so perhaps he's 100% correct.

Even if the business part sometimes goes over my head, I still watch the heck out of this show because I can't get enough of this twisted family and their dynamics.

Also, I just read over the lyrics to Conner's karaoke song and now I am doing a deep dive into the story behind the words, looking for connections that might not even exist. :)

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Before the show continues, I really want to understand the business end of what the kids are trying to do for clarity:

The siblings outbid their dad for Nan's company just to stick it to him and their bid won, but they overspent and they know it...also, now that they own the company, they either don't know what to do with it and/or they really don't want it.

In order to purchase the company they don't really want, they need to get their money out of Waystar, which is being bought by GoJo (Mattson).  If that deal falls through, the kids won't have the money to buy their new toy, so Shiv (with Sandi) and Kendall (with Stewy) want to force Logan to ask Mattson for more money, knowing that Mattson might walk away and the entire thing will collapse.

Am I close?  What I struggle with is, what happens if Mattson does walk - aren't they still on the hook for the 10 bil they promised to Nan?  Or have they not signed on the dotted line yet?  I feel like Kendall and Shiv are playing with fire but maybe I'm wrong, although Logan did say that his kids weren't serious people so perhaps he's 100% correct.

Even if the business part sometimes goes over my head, I still watch the heck out of this show because I can't get enough of this twisted family and their dynamics.

Also, I just read over the lyrics to Conner's karaoke song and now I am doing a deep dive into the story behind the words, looking for connections that might not even exist. :)

I don't know that the kids pushed for higher price from Gojo necessarily to scuttle the deal.  Maybe Kendall did, with that devious smirk but he might mainly be interested in foiling Logan.

The kids don't understand business, period, so no they don't have a plan.

I assume the deadline with Nan has some contingency saying the sale to Gojo must complete or they don't have the funds they promised to buy Pierce.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I think Shiv wants to kill the GoJo deal either because she knows they overbid on Nan’s company or she wants to hurt Logan. Kendall wants the deal to fail to stick it to Logan even though he hurts himself too.

Logan made a tactical error by pissing off Shiv with the divorce attorney move before the GoJo vote.

• Like 1
(edited)

8 hours ago, Dminches said:

Logan made a tactical error by pissing off Shiv with the divorce attorney move before the GoJo vote.

That divorce attorney move wasn't rocket science - it's not a rare tactic. (Tony Soprano pulled it on Carmella in "The Sopranos" & it wasn't unique even then.)  As Logan said, if Shiv had asked him for divorce advice (rather than Tom who asked Logan), Logan would have told Shiv about that tactic.  She was aware of it anyway & immediately recognized it as the move Logan pulled on her mother in their divorce. Shiv's just pissed that she was slower on the trigger than Tom.

Besides, Tom says he wants an amicable divorce.  If true, Shiv can simply ask Tom to waive the conflict as to one of the attorneys he previously contacted, and she can use that attorney.  If he won't, there's many other competent high-end family law attorneys in New York. 

Tom should want Shiv to have competent representation.  The divorce will be governed by their pre-nup anyway - and pretty cut & dried unless there's a novel provision in it.  And a less savvy attorney might only prolong the process & cost BOTH of them more in time &/or fees to wrangle over what is otherwise apparent & resolvable.

The myth of needing a "bulldog" attorney who operates on hot air & false bravado is a trope that often wastes time & money on histrionics.  Usually more a matter of personality or reputation, than legal ability.  A calm, prepared attorney who knows the facts & law & is an able negotiator often obtains a better result, faster, easier, with less emotional or financial cost. But still, the trope lingers on irrespective of the old adage: He who know the facts, pounds the facts. He who knows the law, pounds the law.  He who knows neither the facts nor the law, pounds the table.

Edited by realityplease
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 4/5/2023 at 2:19 PM, aghst said:

Would be a lot easier to walk away with all the money and not deal with the emotional abuse.

that is what a lot of children born into very great wealth do, extricate themselves from the family business and the family, out of guilt or alienated from their family in some other way.  Some try to do good things, philanthropy, volunteer, taking up some causes.

others just spend the money and live well.

these kids though see their worth and self esteem in being as successful or even more than their father.  They really don’t have a strategy they’re confident in.  They’re smart but they’ve never worked with risk of failing and not having anything.  Kendall has ideas but not really a unique insight or business plan.  That is why they toss ideas around about the Hundred or Pierce.

they have no plan.

yet they are invested in beinG players, eitHer with their inheritance or as part of the family company.

There’s a lot of guilt if they walk away, too.  And it’s not just “great wealth.”  You may have kids of small town doctors who are guilted into going to med school and come home to take over mom or dad’s practice because the town might not have a doctor after the parent retires (smaller communities might be hard to attract doctors).  They might want to specialize or even not go to medical school at all.  In larger centres, it could be doctors who are from a specific ethnocultural community and serve that community. 

Too bad that "the kids" don't recognize that Kerri's test video is analogous to their attempts to build / own their own empire. She wants to start off at the top with no discernible experience (or innate talent), and that's just what they want to do, only bigger. They just don't see that they're in a glass house while they're piling up stones.

• Like 2