Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Part Seven - Dominion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, marinw said:

All my stright female and gay male Trekkie friends fancied either Data, Worf.,or Picard. I loved Picard

Wow... Riker needs a new Horgon with your crew...

• LOL 3
(edited)
57 minutes ago, paigow said:

Wow... Riker needs a new Horgon with your crew..

Poor Geordi didn't even register. Levar Burton looks great now with the beard.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
On 4/1/2023 at 2:25 PM, Francie said:

We do. Except if we doubt that it's her. Or, like me at this point, don't care whether it's really her or a changeling. But the point was an internal one -- why on earth wouldn't the crew have thought of that? At least bring it up to explain why it isn't possible.

I was aware that people thought Deanna could have been a Changeling.  That didn’t factor into my evaluation of this episode/scene because I was able to put together a reasonable idea of what had happened to her, given the information that we’d been given by the show thus far.  And well- spoiler alert…

Moreover, I don’t think other people’s speculation should have any bearing on how I feel or think about this show. I’d like to believe that I’m judging the show for what it is, not what I or anyone else thinks it should be.  Respectfully, it seems like your main complaint is that this season isn’t the TNG continuation that you were expecting.  And I get that you have reasons for those expectations, given how you interpreted the marketing and promotion for the show.  I don’t even think you’re unreasonable in your assessment of what the network presented to us.  However, given that the show has not been TNG Season 8, I would urge anyone who is not enjoying the show - please, honestly try to engage with Picard for what it is, and not focus on the things that are different from what you expected them to be.  I hope you will enjoy the show more with that perspective in mind.

That was kind of the case I was trying to make previously anyway.  The point of the Tuvok scene is to demonstrate that the crew are on their own- and I think it accomplished that goal just fine.  We don’t need to see them call up every former friend just to prove they got replaced, even someone as important as Deanna.  But, we especially don’t need to see them try to contact her-  because we knew where she was, and the show gave us enough information to know it was actually her.  Maybe Jean-Luc tried to call her off screen, and didn’t get an answer- regardless, it’s simply not worth showing, because it doesn’t affect how the viewer understands the story.

6 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

please, honestly try to engage with Picard for what it is, and not focus on the things that are different from what you expected them to be.  I hope you will enjoy the show more with that perspective in mind.

I didn't expect it to be TNG s8, but I *did* expect better writing and pacing.

On 4/1/2023 at 1:52 PM, Francie said:

Here's probably the best example of what I was sold, and what I thought I'd be getting this season. Silly me. 

FWiW, I think all of your complaints are justified.

Not to mention that some key players from TNG are nowhere to be seen in this season:  Hope.  Optimism.  Wonder.  Curiosity.  Empathy.  Humanity.  Humility.  Humor.

Does anyone have a read on how much time is supposed to have passed between Season 1 and Season 3?

In this episode, Picard says, "Years ago, Data asked me to let him die ... "  I took that as a reference to the last episode of Picard, Season 1.  

It seems odd for Picard to say "years ago" when for us it has been only a couple years.   If he had said, "Years ago, Data sacrificed his own life to save the Enterprise," no problem.

And I can't help but laugh at Picard's apparent amnesia when it comes to Laris.  Years ago, I loved a woman named Laris ... , lol.    He doesn't mention her to any of his friends.  Makes no attempt to contact her.   There's not even a hint that she crosses his mind.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, millennium said:

Does anyone have a read on how much time is supposed to have passed between Season 1 and Season 3?

In this episode, Picard says, "Years ago, Data asked me to let him die ... "  I took that as a reference to the last episode of Picard, Season 1.  

I’ve read that season one was in 2399 and both seasons 2 and 3 are in 2401 (which doesn’t track with Seven becoming a Commander but the years were established by a showrunner interview for this season, I believe).

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, dovegrey said:

I’ve read that season one was in 2399 and both seasons 2 and 3 are in 2401 (which doesn’t track with Seven becoming a Commander but the years were established by a showrunner interview for this season, I believe).

Thanks.   That confirms the weirdness of Picard referring to Data's most recent death as "years ago."

Another point where I could use some clarification.   Were Picard and Beverly seriously going to execute Vadic?  Or was it just a bluff?   It seemed ambiguous.

Edited by millennium

Bad writing: when Date/Lore/B4/Lal is activated, they say "cognitive functions only", then Spiner is moving around.  Or does that make it bad acting on Spiner's part?

Dumb characters: everybody talks about how they've already lost Data twice, and they don't want to lose him a third time.  So as soon as he told you what was stolen was Picard's body, TURN HIM OFF.  DON'T LET LORE TAKE OVER.  Lore ALWAYS manages to turn the tables, and yet these characters are too stupid, pining for Data.  Ugh.  You would have thought they would have learned by now.

Easily the worst episode of the season.  But this is still the best season of the show.