Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Eyes Only

• Start Topic

OMG, seriously?  An Art teacher at GEORGETOWN?  Trope, party of 2 in the art studio. 

And another screaming trope is the "young & hip female Secret Service agent" thinking she so much smarter than the vet, insulting him every moment and engaging in an incredibly unprofessional pissing contest.  I hope she gets smacked in the head for missing the nasty art prof.  

And is a 60-something woman saying "fuck" repeatedly supposed to be edgy & cool?   And in a cafe', "get paper towels from the bathroom"?  No, bro, you get a towel from the damn barista. 

I'm one more ridiculous scene away from ditching this thing. 

ETA: A troll doll named Kevin.  I'm out. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 3/26/2023 at 10:55 AM, SnapHappy said:

And is a 60-something woman saying "fuck" repeatedly supposed to be edgy & cool?

As with the Chief of Staff they are writing the woman to be more boys than  boys. Whereas real men don't act like that. It might have been played as a joke in an Avengers movie when Captain America came up to chasten his troops about language but nobody is raising in the ranks using such language in front of the troops

On 3/26/2023 at 10:55 AM, SnapHappy said:

I'm one more ridiculous scene away from ditching this thing. 

Daddy showing up at the close was cliff hanger enough for another hour

• Like 1

Putting in spoiler tags because I can't remember if it was in this episode:

Spoiler

The female SS lead told the new guy that they need to blend in, so it was hilarious to see them walking a few feet apart but in parallel behind Maddie, wearing clothes that scream federal agent and conversing by lifting their lapels (or whatever was concealing their microphones). Way to call attention to yourselves as a security detail or other LEO! Why don't they dress in casual clothes like college kids wear and wear Bluetooth or talk by cellphone like most people?

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 3/26/2023 at 1:55 PM, SnapHappy said:

And is a 60-something woman saying "fuck" repeatedly supposed to be edgy & cool? 

The really funny part is that Hong Chau is actually 43 but decided to wear a grey wig for the show. Here she is suitably glammed up for the show premiere:

shutterstock_editorial_13836218az-1679459091.thumb.jpg.b5f767d986aed99611e27e774a8b180d.jpg

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The really funny part is that Hong Chau is actually 43 but decided to wear a grey wig for the show. Here she is suitably glammed up for the show premiere:

shutterstock_editorial_13836218az-1679459091.thumb.jpg.b5f767d986aed99611e27e774a8b180d.jpg

I thought the "60 something" was referencing the retired agent with the shotgun.  As for the Chief of Staff I had tagged her as 40s just early onset of gray hair.

• Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Raja said:

I thought the "60 something" was referencing the retired agent with the shotgun.  As for the Chief of Staff I had tagged her as 40s just early onset of gray hair.

For what it's worth Hong Chau did an interview where she said the inspiration of her look in the show came from a novelist named Susan Choi who is about ten years older than her. I did think Hong wanted Diane to look older next to Peter/Gabriel than she looks in real life. (They don't look like peers but I think she wanted to look at least Mom-aged next to Peter and IRL she doesn't.)

641c8eaff3369.image.jpg?resize=1035,853

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3

Wow, this episode was absolutely wretched. I think this might be one of the most ineptly-executed hours of TV I have seen in a quite some time. Horribly shot, badly paced, characters behaving like idiots, logic gaps you could drive a semi through and the dialogue. THE DREADFUL DREADFUL DIALOGUE...

I realize that Netflix needs lots and lots of shit to fling at the wall and schedules are shorter and shorter and I think Covid interrupted production on this but really, there is no excuse. I've heard of Peak TV but this is Trough TV!

Some of my favorite moments;

1. "Does the name Osprey mean anything to you?"

"You mean like the bird?"

No, you potty-mouthed, wig-wearing weirdo, like the milkshake. YES LIKE THE DAMN BIRD!

2. I now cannot unsee the wig. And in this episode it was styled in The Rachel, hot from 1999. Except grey. 

3. "Ugh, they acted like nobodies who went to garage sales and on cruises!"

Rose is such a delightful person, what with her being smarter and better and more goody-good than everybody else on the show, not to mention her permanent stink-face and Fetch-Me-The-Manager vocal inflections. And now, we see the kind, loving way in which she refers to the late aunt and uncle who took her in.

I'm really glad your startup went down in flames, Rose. And I hope the estate taxes mean you inherit NOTHING.

4. The assassins are taking a bubble bath together. I cannot. 

5. I hate all these characters except Lorna and I'm pissed the bubble bath assassins killed her because I really enjoyed her snarking on Peter and Rose and I was hoping she'd come back and rip them some more. A lot more. For, like, the rest of the series. 

On which note, given that multiple scenes in this episode were pointlessly padded with lines where people talked while saying absolutely nothing, how the hell are there SIX MORE EPISODES of this dreck?!

6. Omar Zadar, huh. Homage to Dr. Seuss, maybe? 

7. "What's the difference between a bomb going off in one location vs. another?"

Well, Rose, thing is that "A Target" isn't just the place where you demand to speak to the manager because they're out of Doritos.

8.  "You blend right in, don't you?" 

"Yes, I totally blend right in, being young, walking along wearing a huge white earpiece that everyone can see for miles around while talking to another person walking 5 feet away from me, who is much, much, much, much, much OLDER than me and who is also wearing a huge white earpiece. Nope, absolutely nobody notices me at all because unlike you, I'm young and I'm hip and so beautiful and also I am down wit da kidz (did I mention that I'm young and 28 and young in the last 5 minutes?) and I know EVERYTHING about Veep Daughter except how she's about to get jiggy with her skeevy art teacher who is secretly evil and like the most blatant and obvious lech since Pepe Le Pew. I'm young."

Side note; who does the actress playing the daughter remind me of? I was thinking either Aubrey Plaza, Wild Things Neve Campbell or Fairuza Balk but it's not quite any of them.

9. Was that anvilicious shot of the food where the bubble bath assassins were about to cook Spaghetti-O's or whatever and then it cuts to their boss eating fancy salad supposed to be Meaningful Artistic Filmmaking™? Because I think that before the people making this start trying to elevate it to the level of Godard or whoever, they might want to master some simpler things like I dunno, basic coherence.

10. Hi Cisco, this is Rose, the woman who the people in the car you traced for me are trying to kill. I brought her with me to the place where you found their Bronco and they are probably nearby even thought she's a civilian and really, incredibly annoying to be around but she can wait in the car and I'm sure she'll be totally fine and not get killed by them even thought we have no idea where they are and they could totally be watching or taking a romantic stroll round the neighborhood after their bubble bath.

Also, thanks for coming to help me kick my way into their house even though I just asked you to run the plate as a favor to me and you are nothing to do with this investigation and appear to be a... state trooper or... generic... law-person. That makes lots of sense. Oh and of course, neither of us have actually thought to check who the Bronco is actually registered to even though that's the most important thing about it. Anyhoo, enough about that, let's discuss this weird, annoying little troll. No, I meant Kevin, not Rose.

11. Grumpapotamus. I cannot.  

12. Since when do the FBI send out an agent or a whatever the hell he is to protect stalking victims by accompanying them everywhere 24/7? Is this why taxes are going up?

13. Hotel Receptionist: "That's HORRIBLE!" 

Me: "Yes, Hotel Receptionist, it is horrible. Truly, truly horrible. I presume you mean the script?"

14. Now the female assassin is also wearing a(nother) bad wig. Is this "artistic" foreshadowing that all characters who wear bad wigs are secretly (or not so secretly) evil? Hitchcock would be proud.

15. Where the hell is the baby from Wisconsin?

16. "Why would anyone in the White House stage a terrorist attack?"

"There's no excuse for it."

No, Peter, there isn't. You should write a sternly-worded letter.

17. Rose: "I'll sharpen the security camera footage on my dinky little laptop".

*SHARPENS FOOTAGE*

Two seconds later; Crystal Clear Picture of Arrington Appears on Screen Looking Like It Was Shot With The Latest Hi-Def Red Camera.

18. Young! Arrington was there on bombing day! Is this a clue that she is also evil? Is being poorly-acted like the wig thing, ie also a clue that the character is evil? If so, perhaps ALL the characters are evil!

I'm not sure if I can hatewatch the rest of this but I'm going to try...

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2023 at 12:44 PM, BaskingsharkGTX said:

Side note; who does the actress playing the daughter remind me of? I was thinking either Aubrey Plaza, Wild Things Neve Campbell or Fairuza Balk but it's not quite any of them

She reminds me of Vanessa Marano, best known as Bay from Switched at Birth and April from Gilmore Girls. Before this I knew her as a bitchy prep school girl on Riverdale. 

9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

She reminds me of Vanessa Marano, best known as Bay from Switched at Birth and April from Gilmore Girls. Before this I knew her as a bitchy prep school girl on Riverdale. 

It was Elizabeth Olsen. Just twigged.

• Like 1
On 8/20/2023 at 7:16 PM, TV Anonymous said:

Let me add another one. When Sutherland, Larkin, and the old lady were walking around the street of supposedly Washington, a Canada Post truck passed by.

At this point I assume that every show or movie that is supposed to take place in the US has been shot in Vancouver--overgeneralizing, of course. But this year my husband and I spent a few weeks in Vancouver, and since then we keep seeing locations we recognize in various shows. A couple of weeks ago we watched a show supposedly taking place in a US suburb and small city that had scenes in a residential area that looked exactly like the one where our Airbnb was, in terms of street layout and house architecture.

I know that production companies film in Canada for financial reasons and because it's easy to find locations that look like the US, but if you as the viewer recognize the Canadian locations, it can distract you from the plot and make it harder to get engaged in the action.