Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Jaclyn Schultz

Tommn1
  • Start Topic

Media Buyer/former Miss Michigan USA 2013

Relationship to Significant Castaway: Jon Misch’s girlfriend

Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR: I am a survivor in my everyday life because I was diagnosed with a life altering syndrome at 16 and didn't let it destroy me. Being told I wasn't "normal" and could never have kids was the last thing I wanted to hear at that age. I've learned to try and turn every negative into a positive and that life will always throw hard things at you, but it's how you handle those obstacles that matter the most. This game is tough. It's challenging mentally, socially and physically and I know that I can overcome anything is thrown at me no matter how bad it hurts and no matter how many times I break down just because I have in my life.

Official CBS Bio

i really, really want to like her.  

From Jon's thread:

Unless you're Jaclyn and make it to the end.

To the end, but with no chance of winning.

A respectable second place!

There is a theory I heard on Cesternino's podcast as to why Jaclyn got second place, and it has very little to do with her gameplay, or Jon's.  Reed's vote was the one that got Jaclyn second place instead of Missy.  If Reed had voted Natalie, the other two would have tied for 2nd with 1 vote each, and both received the 2nd place prize. 

So the theory is that Reed wasn't so much voting for Jaclyn for second place, but voting against Missy to force her into third and deny her the difference in 2nd and 3rd place prizes.  And given his performance at FTC, that makes a lot of sense.

Understood, but that still doesn't mean Jaclyn was voted out immediately because of being the swing vote.  As you can see by her...never getting voted out.

The original fans-know-better anti-swing-vote theory was that the competing alliances will just decide to team up on the swing vote and get rid of them.  This has happened, but frankly it's stupid, because then you're deadlocked again.  Now it's that oh you're just always on the bottom and will be voted out as soon as the rest of the other alliance is gone, a la Cochran.  Neither of these are necessarily true.  Being a swing vote is a position of power, it's just dangerous and has to be used right, just like the HII, or being a visible leader or whatever.  And, I'll say it again and again, being a swing voting bloc rather than a single swing vote is a really good way to play, in my opinion.

I find it so weird that people have this sort of self-righteous hatred of swing votes as we saw in the enormous glee people had in Sarah's ouster last season.  Gee, if only everyone would form an alliance day one on the beach and stick to it, nothing was dynamic and it was a pure numbers game, what a great show that would be!

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 1

Understood, but that still doesn't mean Jaclyn was voted out immediately because of being the swing vote.  As you can see by her...never getting voted out.

The original fans-know-better anti-swing-vote theory was that the competing alliances will just decide to team up on the swing vote and get rid of them.  This has happened, but frankly it's stupid, because then you're deadlocked again. 

I've always felt a successful swing vote strategy could work in Survivor - and frankly, J&J were doing a pretty good job with it, up to a point. I still think the strategy could work; you just need better players to execute it.

• Love 1

I liked Jaclyn much better than Jon, and thought she had great instincts, but I wasn't rooting for her to win.  As much as I disliked her using her syndrome for sympathy points, I slightly understand why she claimed she needed money to have children.  People with her syndrome typically don't have a uterus, but they do have ovaries.  That means biological children are possible, but only through a surrogate. Surrogates are outrageously expensive.  Of course, there is always adoption.  I advocate for adoption and am adopted myself, but that's not an easy road and can be quite costly as well.

• Love 3

I find it so weird that people have this sort of self-righteous hatred of swing votes as we saw in the enormous glee people had in Sarah's ouster last season.

I think it maybe sometimes has more to do with that fact that swing votes tend to get very cocky and start going around talking about how awesome and powerful they are in their THs, which I personally find very annoying.

I liked Jaclyn a lot in the beginning and continued to like her throughout the season, even though I did think she got a little entitled at times. I think she actually has fantastic instincts for the game (as RedheadZombie already said) and a great read on people. The weird thing is she often just didn't do anything with those instincts/reads. Also, I thought it was so weird that she would seem unaffected by certain things, even laughing them off, and then suddenly she'd be going into mini hissyfits over them. She was very interesting to me.

Edited by peachmangosteen

Understood, but that still doesn't mean Jaclyn was voted out immediately because of being the swing vote.

They don't get voted out immediately; they get voted out once they're not needed, which was what I said originally. As much as Natalie wanted to vote Jon out, she needed Jon and Jaclyn as numbers to get rid of the competing alliance, and once Jon was gone, she changed course and decided she needed Jaclyn to get rid of Baylor. Jaclyn made it F2 but only partly on her own steam. Had Nat not decided she was a better goat than Baylor, she would have been gone at 5.

The weird thing is she often just didn't do anything with those instincts/reads.

Part of that is because when push came to shove, she deferred to Jon. 

They made an excellent pair: 6th and 2nd.  If Jon had listened to Jaclyn just a little more -- if he hadn't trusted Natalie -- they might both have made F3.  They'd have had to scramble a bit at F6, but they were perfectly capable of doing that. 

To me, they were much more impressive than the other pair that got deep (Missy and Baylor). 

Jaclyn made it F2 but only partly on her own steam. Had Nat not decided she was a better goat than Baylor, she would have been gone at 5.

I think Jaclyn was less a goat than Baylor, and that Nat correctly perceived that.  I felt Nat took Jaclyn because she didn't trust Baylor and Missy.  Baylor's plea -- for Nat to give Missy the idol -- boomeranged on her, by planting the seeds of distrust.  Has Natalie addressed this on any of the post-game interviews? 

• Love 1
I think Jaclyn was less a goat than Baylor, and that Nat correctly perceived that.  I felt Nat took Jaclyn because she didn't trust Baylor and Missy.  Baylor's plea -- for Nat to give Missy the idol -- boomeranged on her, by planting the seeds of distrust.

Yeah, actually I think you're right and I overstated it. Objectively, I think Jaclyn is less of a goat than Baylor because if you have an F3 of Jaclyn, Baylor, and Missy, Jaclyn wins (although I think that's the only scenario where she wins, at least among the players who made up the jury and F3). Her problem is that she can't get there without an immunity run because she never built alliances independently of Jon. Baylor and Missy can never win, I don't think, unless it's F2 and they're it. But for Natalie, I think the degree of goatiness doesn't matter. She's going to win either way, so if she can use Jaclyn to get rid of someone who she'd still beat but who might vote her out at 4, then it's a good move for her. And the way she did it was impressive because she left no question in the jury's mind that she ran Jaclyn's vote at F5.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

Is it wrong that I thought Jaclyn was hotter on the show than at the reunion. She looked smoking hot with that tiny waist & dirty & natural looking. I was totally underwhelmed at the reunion. And, she shouldn't wear yellow. It ain't her friend. So, is it wrong of me to think that?

Is it wrong that I thought Jaclyn was hotter on the show than at the reunion. She looked smoking hot with that tiny waist & dirty & natural looking. I was totally underwhelmed at the reunion. And, she shouldn't wear yellow. It ain't her friend. So, is it wrong of me to think that?

If you are, then that makes two of us. If you can still look hot when you're dirty as hell, then you are hot without qualification.

Everyone always looks better on the island, in my opinion.  But I thought Jaclyn looked fine at the reunion, just unrecognizable.

Echo also. Both Jaclyn and Missy cleaned up REAL good at the reunion, but I had to squint for a bit to figure out who was who.

Full disclosure: in case you didn't already know it - yeah, I'm a guy.