Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Dear Diary

• Start Topic

(edited)
30 minutes ago, debraran said:

Wow, where are you looking? In CT, modest homes in nicer areas are 300-600,000, with million dollar homes only being in very affluent areas of Fairfield etc. If sold, they would have a lump to grow in certain funds. Scary to have possible rental income the way they are saying. After doing that for a few years and knowing others, it not all it's cracked up to be.

It was just a couple of things found on a Google search.  I don't know Boston, so I can't judge the area or any other factors.  Those were certainly huge selling prices, vastly more that houses where I live.  I was hoping someone from that area would have some information to offer.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, TVForever said:

I've actually read interviews with performers over the years (most memorable being one with Bette Midler, of all people) where they admit to varying degrees of stage fright, even after years of performing. My own take on a case like this would be that performing in a concert setting where you can't really see most of the crowd probably would be less intimidating than presenting in a small group like a classroom, where you can see every single face looking at you. Even moreso when you know that your professor is angling for your failure.

I agree with this.

Usually, whenever Eddie was on stage in the past, he was drunk. We've seen him on stage once, I believe, in the first season, after writing a song. 

Now, when I was in high school, I was in plays, but I could not get up in front of my classmates to make a speech. One thing I can remember is that I couldn't see the audience if I'm on stage, due to the lights.

While, since college, I've gotten more comfortable with speaking in public, it's not something I like doing. There's no filtering out the people who are just watching every move you make, and you know that some are secretly wanting you to fail. And being caught off-guard also doesn't help nerves.

So, in Eddie's case, he was anticipating going later in the section. He could have organized his notes, tried to calm the butterflies in his stomach. Instead, as soon as he comes into this class, he's told he's doing his presentation RIGHT NOW, and he knows his professor isn't secretly wanting him to fail. Anybody would be rattled in that situation, even someone who has made a living on stage.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 3/30/2023 at 11:27 AM, ams1001 said:

Can they even do that? They'd at least have to make it a different show somehow, probably. I used to listen to a podcast that was produced by a public radio station, and a few months after covid started the station had to make some cuts, which included the podcast being cancelled and the host laid off. But the station still owns the podcast property and wouldn't let him keep it, even though they're almost certainly not going to do anything with it in the future. (He had to revamp the show with a new name, and ended up joining a podcast network where the creators own their own stuff so he won't have to worry about being in that position again.)

Not that call-in advice shows are anything unique, but I assume the station still owns theirs (and I'd bet this boss would have no problem making legal issues for them if they tried to take it elsewhere).

Speaking of podcasts, does Maggie still have hers? Or did she stop doing it when she started the radio show?

Aside from the fact that Maggie may not own the rights to the show's concept; how many talk-radio stations are there in Boston?  There are probably a couple of sports-talk stations, but I doubt there is another station that would be interested in a couple of psychologists doing a call-in show, no matter how popular Maggie thinks her show would be.  Most radio stations have very rigid formats these days and do not need original programming.  Even the talk-radio stations use a lot of nationally syndicated talent rather than locals.  The days when radio stations would compete for local on-air talent are essentially over, particularly for such a small-niche show like Maggie's.

And, as others have noted, radio stations are not dumb, Maggie and Jessica work for a radio conglomerate which has undoubtedly signed them to contracts with very clear 'no-compete' clauses which would require them to be off the air completely for a period of time-like 3-6 months- before they could appear on any other radio station within a proscribed distance from their original employer.  So, unless they're both ok with leaving the Greater Boston area, they have no leverage with their current employer.

As far as home prices in Boston, it, of course, depends on the area.  Schools, closeness to amenities, available city services all make a difference when it comes to value.  Walter's home looks to be older, but well maintained and seems like a typical middle class home; nothing particularly over the top.  Snooping around the real estate listings, it seems like that sort of home is going to be in the $300,000-$500,000 range in the Greater Boston area.  Presuming that Walter owns the house outright; it could be sold for enough to support him in assisted living/memory care/total care for the rest of his life probably.  Remember, if he does have Alzheimers or similar diagnosis, his condition is not going to remain stable and he will require progressively more extensive and expensive care as time passes.  The average person diagnosed with Alzheimers will live about 10 years from diagnosis.  That is going to be a substantial expense if they want to avoid Medicaid.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
On 3/31/2023 at 3:39 PM, Suzn said:

I know better than to expect realism in finances on a tv show, but I don't see how renting out Rome's dad's house is going to cover his expenses in assisted living.  I don't know what the rent might run or what assisted living costs, but  I would guess that the gap would run quite a few thousand a month.  it would seem to be better to sell the house and get enough that could possibly last the rest of his life.  I don't know what the point is of "keeping the house in the family" and if it is rented out, no one is going to get any personal use or pleasure from it.  

On 4/1/2023 at 9:01 AM, smartymarty said:

And what family? Rome has an apartment, and Omar lives in Florida. Neither has kids. That was a strange reason to rent rather than sell. And yeah, no way renting will cover the cost of assisted living -- it might cover the cost of an aide during Regina and Rome's working hours, though. Not sure what Regina's working hours are, though.

I think they own a condo. 

On 4/2/2023 at 1:23 PM, debraran said:

It varies and believe me so does the care. The ones doctor's and affluent people go to are very costly. Some are 4000 now and just "ok" if you keep an eye on them. I read District of Columbia and Rhode Island are both close to $7,000 a month.

What is the average monthly cost for assisted living in Massachusetts? The average cost of assisted living in Massachusetts is $5,300 per month. (not 2023)Some sites say memory care is added cost.

I can't see what the rent on that pretend house would be but even 4000 is too much. You also have to count on having the rental income and the fixes the older home will need. i assume they can raise the rent because they did in my mom's senior apartment (not assisted living) but I don't know rules in every state.

My sisters unknowingly had my mom take a lower cost insurance and the next year they "adjusted her rent" to include her huge windfall (sarcasm)

I am someone who liked their idea of renting the home rather than selling it as a means of keeping it in the family and providing some income for dad. And in my suburb of Boston, $4000 a month would be low to rent an entire house. With all of the universities in the area and international businesses, there is quite a market for long-term rentals from families who are only going to be in the area for a couple of years. My neighbor went to France to teach for a year and rented her house out to a visiting professor while she was gone. Covered her expenses. Her mortgage was paid off. 

There are expenses, and if one is smart, one hires a rental company to handle all of the rent collection, property upkeep, vetting renters, etc. 

On the Cape, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket, lots of people buy homes to rent out for summers, because they can make so much more than their mortgages per year on the rent from two to three months in summer. It allows them to obtain a property now, and finance it until they choose to live there and not rent it out. I'm sure many of them took a hit during the summer of 2020, when there was little to no travel going on. But overall, it's a well-established practice. 

Also, Rome's father's house looks pretty nice. I would say, in today's market around here, it would go for $800,000 to $1,000,000 very easily. Keeping it to rent means they keep the investment and finance dad's care. Then, when they need/want to, they can sell and will have had the additional investment time with the house. 

There was an article not too long ago about Boston now matching New York City with rental costs. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I only watched this episode yesterday, maybe this has already been said and discussed but color me confused: why are Greta and her parents having a "ugly Hanukkah sweater" gathering, if soon it will be father's day in the US? Was this ever explained?

Maggie please, go away. What an unlikable character. The baby is cute, all chubby and happy. Seemed confused at times, poor kid.

I guess Sophie and What's his name were touring the US, right? Such a long trip for someone who plays in a band very few people know and need to keep playing gigs to survive.

How can Rome's father be going to an Assisted Living Facility? Already discussed but it is so ridiculous. Alzheimer's patients are not accepted in such places because they can come and go as they please, and the liability if one of them simply disappear or got hurt would be too high. It irritates me when writers want to change reality to make characters look good or have a semblance of "happy ending"

Katherine acted like a teenager. Being nervous is understandable but her demeanor was ridiculous for a grown ass woman going to visit the future in-laws.

Apologies if I spelled Hanukkah wrong. I never know the acceptable spelling. But the spell check accepted this one, so...

• Like 4
2 hours ago, circumvent said:

Katherine acted like a teenager. Being nervous is understandable but her demeanor was ridiculous for a grown ass woman going to visit the future in-laws.

I think it was because she knew them when   she was a teenager. I get it. When I’m in the presence of someone who knew me as a child, I instantly “revert” to the dynamics of that relationship. They are still “Mr/Mrs So and So”, and they are still “senior” to me, even though I’m a grown woman with adult children of my own. 

• Like 1

I only watched this episode yesterday, maybe this has already been said and discussed but color me confused: why are Greta and her parents having a "ugly Hanukkah sweater" gathering, if soon it will be father's day in the US? Was this ever explained?

I guess Sophie and What's his name were touring the US, right? Such a long trip for someone who plays in a band very few people know and need to keep playing gigs to survive.

How can Rome's father be going to an Assisted Living Facility? Already discussed but it is so ridiculous. Alzheimer's patients are not accepted in such places because they can come and go as they please, and the liability if one of them simply disappear or got hurt would be too high. It irritates me when writers want to change reality to make characters look good or have a semblance of "happy ending"

Many families take the (Christmas) photo early, either so that they have it ready when time to send out, or because they do it when the kids are in town.

Why didn't Sophie ride with her bandmates?

Right -- Walter should be in memory care, which is locked down. Maybe jumping the list also allowed them to bend the rules. But that's stupid because Walter could wander and hurt himself.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I think it was because she knew them when   she was a teenager. I get it. When I’m in the presence of someone who knew me as a child, I instantly “revert” to the dynamics of that relationship. They are still “Mr/Mrs So and So”, and they are still “senior” to me, even though I’m a grown woman with adult children of my own. 

Plus, her parents knew she'd broken Greta's heart before. Given how I feel about people who break my kids' hearts - she was right to be worried. 😉

Just now, smartymarty said:

Right -- Walter should be in memory care, which is locked down. Maybe jumping the list also allowed them to bend the rules. But that's stupid because Walter could wander and hurt himself.

I don't know that I've ever seen a memory care unit realistically portrayed. My father was in a "nice" one - and it was, but it is still depressing as hell and not something anyone would really want to go to when they still have some faculties. Then again, maybe there are nicer ones for rich folks or for people in a less advanced stage.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

The baby is cute, all chubby and happy. Seemed confused at times, poor kid.

Probably wondering "Are these really my parents? Was I switched at birth? Is it too late to be?"

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, smartymarty said:

Walter should be in memory care, which is locked down

Why is Memory care locked down? And there is no bending rules in those places. I mean, if this show had anything even close to reality. It is a liability thing. Big corporations, which won such places, don't want a person wandering and getting lost, maybe dying because they bent the rules

1 hour ago, TVForever said:

I get the awkwardness and being nervous. What was ridiculous is how they decided to show how nervous she was, breaking the suitcase, then using Theo's? TV writers think it is cute to have an adult using stuff that is made for children as if this is endearing. To me, it shows lack of agency and improvisational skills. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Why is Memory care locked down? And there is no bending rules in those places. I mean, if this show had anything even close to reality. It is a liability thing. Big corporations, which won such places, don't want a person wandering and getting lost, maybe dying because they bent the rules

The place my father was in had a keypad lock to get out (we had to ring the bell to get in), and we weren't allowed to hold the door open (in case someone would try to yank it open while we were exiting - and someone did once) My father tried to get out many times, and his brains were basically mush at that point. He was a danger to himself. So there's liability, sure. But there's also a really good patient oriented reason as well. It seems like almost weekly where I live, there's a notice of a missing person with memory issues who got out of their homes (not locked down). Most, fortunately, are found unharmed. Some are not.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The place my father was in had a keypad lock to get out (we had to ring the bell to get in), and we weren't allowed to hold the door open (in case someone would try to yank it open while we were exiting - and someone did once) My father tried to get out many times, and his brains were basically mush at that point. He was a danger to himself. So there's liability, sure. But there's also a really good patient oriented reason as well. It seems like almost weekly where I live, there's a notice of a missing person with memory issues who got out of their homes (not locked down). Most, fortunately, are found unharmed. Some are not.

Ah! Got it. I misunderstood what you meant because my mind went to "lockdowns" as is not accepting new patients during the first year of the pandemic. I confused myself.

Yes, places that have anyone with Alzheimer's will not allow them to just walk out. Memory care is just a subspecialty of nursing homes

• Like 3
On 4/13/2023 at 12:14 PM, Clanstarling said:

After my mother-in-law escaped my sister-in-law's house, the family decided to put her in memory care. She escaped that twice, once making it two miles down the road at 10:00 at night before some police driving by noticed her. Several employees were fired after that.

• Hugs 1