Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Drew Christy

Tommn1
  • Start Topic

Traveling Sales Representative

Relationship to Significant Castaway: Alec Christy’s older brother

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Fabio or Malcolm because they are athletic, smart bros that know how to manipulate people and situations to advance themselves.

Official CBS Bio

He's a bro, brah.  

Wow. He managed to shoot himself in the foot, then put it in his mouth.

What a terrible performance. And while I understand that there may be more legit reasons to throw an IC in a BvW style game, it remains the truth that self-sabotage is still a bogus strategy in Survivor.

I won't miss him. He can be "chill" at Loser Lodge.

• Love 3

Although it made for an absolutely classic comedy episode, I am really sad to see Drew go.  He could have been the new Coach.  Oh Drew!  You will always be in my heart!  You hilarious macaroon!

But I will say, in a funny sort of way, I was strangely touched and impressed that he saw Kelly, somehow, as the biggest threat and mastermind.  The editors, the host, the viewers, the entire edifice of Survivor refuse to imagine a young woman in such a role, even when she is filling it; but Drew could.  He was not obsessing about proving his manliness by defeating another alpha male.  He felt his biggest threat was the young woman who was familiar with the show and a quiet observer, and sort of proved himself a more liberal mind than the very episode he was in, which had no time or interest in a young blonde, even when she's being targeted.  An unusual saving grace indeed.  I hope you had fun out there, Drew.

• Love 2

Although it made for an absolutely classic comedy episode, I am really sad to see Drew go.  He could have been the new Coach.

Yeah, that's what the show needs, another Coach.  Drew was incredibly stupid.  Throwing a challenge is the kiss of death, rarely does it bite you that quickly, though.

I don't think he was targeting Kelly because he saw her as a strategic threat, he was targeting Kelly because she's an icky, dumb girl and if you don't vote the girls out they're going to gang up on you and beat you.  I'm sure Drew had fun out there but I doubt he had any clue what was really going on at any time.

• Love 3
But I will say, in a funny sort of way, I was strangely touched and impressed that he saw Kelly, somehow, as the biggest threat and mastermind.  The editors, the host, the viewers, the entire edifice of Survivor refuse to imagine a young woman in such a role, even when she is filling it; but Drew could.  He was not obsessing about proving his manliness by defeating another alpha male.  He felt his biggest threat was the young woman who was familiar with the show and a quiet observer, and sort of proved himself a more liberal mind than the very episode he was in, which had no time or interest in a young blonde, even when she's being targeted.  An unusual saving grace indeed.  I hope you had fun out there, Drew.

If Drew could point to anything other then she had seen all the episodes, I might give him credit for not being Jeff Probst and all the other women suck at Survivor club. But really, he was in an all male alliance, calling women bitches, checking out women's breasts and butt whenever he could, and a whole host of other misogynistic behavior.

He choose Kelly because he knew she would vote for him. I am fine with that. He saw her as a threat because she would vote for him. Not because she was a strategic mastermind or a challenge threat but because she would actually vote for him. So she had to go.

Fine, but that is totally different then being different then Probst and the others who see no value in female players.

• Love 1

He chose Kelley because he said he couldn't get rid of Reed. His main complaints about her are that she ate the same amount of food as him (as did the rest of the tribe), watched all the episodes (how dare she watch the show she wanted to compete on) and wanted him and Jon out (along with the rest of the women). I don't believe his targeting of her was strategic at all, he seems desperate to come across as an intellect in his interviews. In the episode he said he wanted to get rid of her so the rest of the "bitches" would have no choice but to listen to him (to me that shows he thought she was too strong for him to control her and that intimidated him because he's used to getting his way), he can spin it all he wants, talk about being a victim of bad editing but nobody made him say those things, the same as he can talk about being a provider and a valuable asset, yet everyone said he was lazy including his best friend in the game and his brother.

• Love 1

OK OK, I'm just talking about what he said in the episode, I have not listened to his exit interviews or anything.  I still think it's refreshing, even if bogus, to hear someone say to vote for the small young woman not because she's weak but because she's too strong.  He's one of the worst Survivor players ever, and I'm of course not defending his ogling of Jaclyn (though his "yeah it's a curse" "ladies man" act was hilarious) or "the rest of these bitches" or any of it.  I never said anything about him getting an undeserved edit; he got a wonderfully perfect edit, in my opinion.  I'm just appreciating his rhetorical stance that Kelley is a strong player, when Probst is asking women if they're offended to be respected and the editors, declining to give Kelley a perfect edit, choose instead to make her a prop in the Drew Comedy Hour.  He specifically didn't say she sucks at Survivor, he said she's too good at Survivor.  He said so in confessionals, not just as a typically boneheaded ploy to convince the others.  It was a very small thing about a walking talking disaster of a Survivor player, but it was something.

And I for one enjoyed the hell out of Coach, partly because beyond all else he really wanted to win; and I don't think throwing challenges is the kiss of death.  So there!

I read Drew's interview on Reality TV Magazine: http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/2014/10/16/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-interview-drew-christy-says-he-got-an-unfair-dumbass-edit/#more-362739

Drew says the rest of the tribe was eating crab but he was allergic so he was not eating as much, which I can understand. He claims that he did not know Kelly was near by when he was making some of his comments and implies that she was added to the scene to make it look like she was there when she wasn't. He apparently forgot that Jon commented that Kelly was right there and he responds something intelligent like "So what" He also explains his comments about Reed. Apparently on the first day, Reed was lying about people talking about other people. He credits that with his dislike of Kelly.

He really wants to come off as intelligent and is totally screwing it up. He knows the right words but uses in ways that are awkward and kind of right but not really. For example "I definitely made some detrimental mistakes that I regret." That does not flow well and there is something that is off about detrimental mistake. I guess you can make mistakes that are not detrimental but normally there is an implicit understanding that mistakes are in some way detrimental. He had a few comments in his interview with Rob on Rob Has a Pod Cast that are similar. The words are correct but it is just not a common usage and seems like he is trying to prove he has a good vocabulary and hence is smart. 

• Love 1

I just read that Reality TV magazine interview, and a few things stand out.

He was not a fan of the show and got on because his modeling agent recommended he try out for it.  Fer crissakes!  Is Survivor now considered a modeling gig?

Also, as I was reading the interview, I was struck by how odd he sounded.  So I looked at the syntax and realized that about 80% of his sentences, If not more, are constructed in the simple subject+verb+object, etc., style.  In the first half of the interview or so, nearly every single sentence he speaks is in this style (the subject, it will not surprise you to learn, is most often "I").  That's just not how people speak, really. That might be one reason it sounds so awkward.  In addition to what ProfCrash pointed out regarding his word usage.

He also has that pseudointellectual attraction to phrases that sound insightful but don't really say anything. In his Zap2it interview he said "Your perception's your reality and kind of what you see is what you believe" and repeated variations of it until he sounded condescending, like any explanation he could give wouldn't change what we believe we saw on our television sets. 

I just read that Reality TV magazine interview, and a few things stand out.

He was not a fan of the show and got on because his modeling agent recommended he try out for it.  Fer crissakes!  Is Survivor now considered a modeling gig?

Also, as I was reading the interview, I was struck by how odd he sounded.  So I looked at the syntax and realized that about 80% of his sentences, If not more, are constructed in the simple subject+verb+object, etc., style.  In the first half of the interview or so, nearly every single sentence he speaks is in this style (the subject, it will not surprise you to learn, is most often "I").  That's just not how people speak, really. That might be one reason it sounds so awkward.  In addition to what ProfCrash pointed out regarding his word usage.

His interview reads like a 4th grader's first day of school "What Did You Do This Summer?" essay.

• Love 1

Okay so he didn't like her from day one due to what he knows were lies that someone said in order to cause a rift in the tribe and when they talked about throwing a competition she wasn't even a target, Julie and Reed were. He's mad she ate food he couldn't even eat because he was allergic? He convinced himself she was a threat and dismissed Jeremy's wanting to get rid of Keith for more valid reasons because Keith is just one person and Kelley is multiple people? I'm glad he at least admits he was delusional on the island but his answers seem rehearsed.

He has a story that he wants to tell, like all booted players, and he is trying to tell it. The problem is he is not being consistent across forums and he completely ignores his douchey behavior. He admits to some bad moves but tries to wave away his comments about women and his overall bad behavior and blame it on editing. The editors added Kelly to the picture when he called her a bitch in ear shot.

Yeah.

He would have been better off to apologize for his bad behavior, said that such language was inappropriate and unacceptable, and owned up to his delusions of grandeur in the game but he is only addressing one of the three.

He is a young enough guy that you hope he grows from the experience and realizes that what we saw is a part of who he is and he might want to change those parts.

• Love 2

Yeah, that's what the show needs, another Coach.  Drew was incredibly stupid.  Throwing a challenge is the kiss of death, rarely does it bite you that quickly, though.

I don't think he was targeting Kelly because he saw her as a strategic threat, he was targeting Kelly because she's an icky, dumb girl and if you don't vote the girls out they're going to gang up on you and beat you.  I'm sure Drew had fun out there but I doubt he had any clue what was really going on at any time.

The thing is throwing the challenge isn't even the dumbest thing he did.  Not even close to it.

What vaulted him into Epic Stupidity is making his power play by throwing a challenge, and then being such a massive dumbass that he didn't sense he had to shore up his credibility after doing so.  It's the whole "I am a natural leader" delusion--that he could just declare he was going to throw a challenge (and I bet he DID tell others about it beforehand, but certainly that doesn't mean he asked them their opinions on it), then come back after doing that and act somehow like he'd earned the right to tell the others what to do to follow this up.  A smart person, if they somehow had deluded themselves into throwing a challenge, would have come back acting like they'd made a sacrifice and guilted people into voting how he wanted.  But not this jackass.  He acted like he'd been crowned King of The Tribe.  Then the icing on the cake of epic stupid was him saying out loud that he didn't care what people thought, what they overheard, etc.  He didn't even seem to TRY to lock in the votes he needed--he just stupidly assumed he had them.  Making him one of the biggest idiots the show has ever seen.

• Love 4