Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Everything Old Is New

• Start Topic

Deisgners update looks from the 50's through the 90's.

I don't have a daughter, but if I did, she is not wearing that prom dress! They need to quit with the "suspense" endings. It's lame! 

• Like 3
On 3/10/2023 at 10:00 AM, TVbitch said:

Deisgners update looks from the 50's through the 90's.

I don't have a daughter, but if I did, she is not wearing that prom dress! They need to quit with the "suspense" endings. It's lame! 

I work in a high school. I have yet to see a student wearing anything close to this. In their 20’s? I totally see someone wearing it, but most high school students want nothing like this. 

• Applause 1
On 3/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, vibeology said:

I thought being inspired by Jackie pink suit was in such poor taste. Maybe that's an outfit we leave to history.

I felt the same way.    Very poor judgement.   Jackie had plenty of iconic fashion moments she could have picked. 

• Like 1

Oh, I get it - Jackie was wearing the pink suit in Dallas.  Took me a minute to wonder what that was in bad taste (not enough coffee yet).

Not sure about the sleeve but high and tight is definitely in this year for proms.  I wouldn't have let my daughter walk out of the door in some of the dresses I've seen this year.

• Like 3
On 3/19/2023 at 7:08 AM, TrixieTrue said:

Amari's Jackie outfit is nothing new. I've seen plenty of Halloween costume's like that. I even remember Holly wearing one on The Girls Next Door. 

7d7d2e114d47f41d623ef74b052782e5.jpg

I kept thinking Cher wore it in Clueless!

I hate Bao’s aesthetic. So trashy. 

• Like 2

Ok, some thoughts because I feel personally invested in some of these decades:

Amari's sweet and all, but WTF? Terrible. As a 60s baby, I am offended & yea, I admit I did not immediately catch the poor taste in recreating Jackie's pink suit (brain fart for sure) but putting that awfulness aside - that fit was horrendous on a woman who had a perfectly lovely figure. Did she get the wrong measurements for her model or is she just really bad, because that outfit looked like shit. Especially disappointing because, as others have noted, Jackie had a lot of other iconic looks in the 60s and FFS, it was the 60s... there's gotta be tons of other cool things to reference.

The 70s outfit (is that Nigel???) was very cool, but I am sorry, it was kind of boring? It was colourful and well made, I will give him that, but it wasn't really "new" or "forward." It's always the same silhouette with that guy and I get that's his thing but mix it up!

The 50s model was handsome, but that outfit did him no favours and it wasn't really special. maybe too literal? Maybe too much pink? I do not know, I am not a FASHUN person but that did not pop like it should. Disappointing.

90s - meh. I was a cool young woman in the 90s and had the body to wear cool things and that ... was not it. Again, there was so many references in the 90s that could have inspired something interesting for today (um baby doll dresses? Grunge? West Coast hip hop ...?)

80s - I was a teenager and if I ever was on top of FASHUN trends that was the time and I gotta say... Bao did kind of nail the 80s over the top, hyper glam look. My only complaint was that it was a little TOO revealing with the cut outs too near the coochie, but I think she did that to "update" it to now. In which case, I would say it would not really work as a prom dress (either in the 80s or now) but for clubbing in the 80s, it definitely was there. The make up was great (I remember spending HOURS getting the perfect red glossy lip  and smoky all the way to my temple eye make up)... I shudder to think of the time I spent on putting myself together  in the 80s. Good grief. LOL. Overall, I do like Bao's aesthetic... Her J.LO birthday dress was great. Obviously only a woman with a certain body can wear her stuff well (or maybe I should say a woman who has a certain level of body confidence) but I think for the most part her designs do look more sleek than trashy, which is weird because I usually hate the whole cut out thing / skin skin skin thing. HOWEVER, she, like Nigel, needs to mix it up a bit because I see the same thing from her again and again and again. On a superficial note, I want Bao to change her hair color, that strawberry blonde look on her is ghastly - I know she is going for striking but a cooler, whiter blonde would look so much better on her , IMHO.

• Like 1

While I don't have a daughter, I wouldn't want her to wear that prom dress. The constant use of "suspense" endings is getting tiresome and unexciting.

Having a personal connection to these decades, I had some thoughts:

Amari's take on the '60s was a letdown, especially the fit, and there were far better iconic '60s looks to reference.

The '70s outfit by Nigel was colorful and well-made but somewhat predictable, lacking innovation in silhouette.

The '50s ensemble didn't do justice to the model or the era; it fell flat and felt too literal.

The '90s interpretation was underwhelming, missing the opportunity to draw inspiration from the diverse fashion trends of the time.

Bao's '80s creation captured the era's over-the-top glam but might have been a bit too revealing. Still, it conveyed the spirit of clubbing in the '80s effectively.

Bao's consistent aesthetic is appealing, though some variety in designs is needed. On a superficial note, a different hair color might suit her better.

• Like 1